Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,im new here and already have a question that i cant seem to figure out.the first time i heard this i thought someone was talking bull but the other day i heard someone else say the same thing. i would have asked them why but it was a couple of guys i didnt know and didnt want to interupt them. what they had said was even though the rifles they have,had drop floorplates they never would drop the cartridges out of the bottom after coming out the woods.they say its best to still eject them with the bolt one by one.they made it sound like it wasnt good for the cartridges unless you had a problem with one being stuck and then they would remove them through the bottom.am i missing something.
thank-you and safe shooting

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
BoarHunter said:
???? I always unload by opening the floorplate !
Easier, no dammage to the bullet and SAFER !
I do the same thing. :D

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
First, welcome to GBO. I always drop my cartridges from my magazine. It's the safest way.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Cycling the rounds through the action to unload the rifle or pistol is never a good idea - this process can cause misfires or accidental slamfires if the rifle is not in good shape. Also, there is the tendency to inadvertantly pull a trigger midway through the process. The hinged floorplates are there for a reason - to open, so you can empty the magazine without cycling the rounds through the action. JMHO. Mikey.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It sounds to me that those 2 individuals just didnt want to get confused as to what to do after removing the cartridges, either close it or try and stack the cartridges back up inside on top of the follower, HA/HA :D JIM

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Powderburner22,

Your friends need a lesson in safety. Drop the shells out the bottom. Lawdog
:D

·
3,196 Posts
By far the greatest possibility for cartridge damage is by ejecting them. By dropping the floor plate you just ease them into your hand.

Long

·
Registered
753 Posts
To be honest I've done it both ways. As to being safe my rifles are such that you can open the bolt with the saftey on and remove the unfired round from the chamber. I have acouple ADL and you have to cycle to unload so kind of hard for me to say unloading from the magazine is safer than when I unload my ADL rifles. Alot of times depending on how your rifle is set up after you unload the first round you don't need to fully cycle the second to unload it. I get more concerned not seeing a muzzle pointed up at the sky when a guy is unloading than worrying about which way is best and that goes for a shotgun also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the reply's everyone,nice to know i wasnt missing anything.i wish i knew those guys so i could actually hear there reasoning for saying why it is better to eject one at a time.i wanted to step in and say ive use the drop plate for years in my model 70 and never had any problems or damage to my shells,but i'm the type that believes if i dont say anything i cant get in trouble......worked so far atleast
thanks again and safe shootin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts