Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Duluth MN City Councilors have a proposal up for Feb 10th city meeting to ban handguns in Duluth MN. I do not have all the particulars, the gunshop I frequent alerted me to this and a employee and friend will forward me the info tonite. The NRA Rep is trying to get all the gunshops and sporting good stores around here to put a large ad in Sundays paper. I will post more on this when I get the info. Since MN is working on Concealed Carry this would put a monkey wrench to that and to the 3 or 4 gunshows they have a year. I live in WI but Duluth MN is right across the St Louis Bay from us and I definately would not want to see that law passed as it would set a precident and get the anti's all stirred up where I live. The one Concilor that is is backing this is a real liberal and has been backing the anti war protest here. It figures! I will post more info as I get it. Jim

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a copy of the proposal it is a ordinance banning handguns on city property. the rub of the thing is that Duluth's gun shows are held on city property, the ordinance states no activities or ceromonies involving pistols. The ordinance also states it does not matter if you have a CC permit issued by the state or not, no Handguns allowed! so that means not only buildings but parks, parking lots city owned wood lots ect. So basically this ordinance would make CC null and void in Duluth MN. and the part that scares me is it would set a precident for others citys in MN and WI. It had some tricky wording regarding streets and sidewalks so I am sure that issue will be a sticky one also. Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dakota Shooter2,
We'd sell off Duluth, to you guys, real cheap if you wanted her. I'd even help move it across the state. And no, we won't trade "even up" for Fargo.

I think this banning ordinance has been tried in other towns in Minnesota and found unconstitutional or atleast unlawfull as far a state law goes.

Hud

·
Registered
213 Posts
Date updated: Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Minnesota Statutes 471.633 and 624.717

471.633 Firearms.

The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a city of the first class, county, town, municipal corporation, or other governmental subdivision, or any of their instrumentalities, to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them except that:

(a) a governmental subdivision may regulate the discharge of firearms; and

(b) a governmental subdivision may adopt regulations identical to state law. Local regulation inconsistent with this section is void.

624.717 Local regulation.
Sections 624.711 to 624.716 shall be construed to supersede municipal or county regulation of the carrying or possessing of pistols and the regulation of Saturday Night Special Pistols.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts