Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is not a wild game recipe but I need a good dutch oven recipe for beef prime rib.

I have a friend who has a good recipe where you cover the prime rib in rock salt and cook it in a dutch oven. I have been trying to reach him all week and I guess he is on vacation cause he doesn't answer his phone.

We are going on a family reunion tomorrow and I promised everyone a prime rib dinner and now I don't have the recipe.

If you don't know about the rock salt recipe and you have a good dutch oven recipe, post it and I will give it a try. I guess, at this point I will try anything that sounds good.

No, I am not independently wealthy to be able to afford prime rib for a big group. I just had a 1500lb Herford steer, that i raised, slaughtered and got prime rib instead of rib steak. A 1500lb steer has allot of prime rib on him.

Thanks for your help,

Sixgun

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own question since I did some research and got really good results.

I used a deep, 14" oven and cooked 2, 4 to 5 lb prime rib roasts in it.

First I covered the bottom with about 1 to 2 inches of rock salt and sprinkled a little water on it.

Next I laid the roasts on their side in the salt. I had already seasoned the roasts with salt, pepper, and garlic.

I then completely covered the meat with rock salt and sprinkled more water on it.

I cooked it for 2 hours and 15 minutes with 30 briquettes on the top and 25 on the bottom. When the briquettes got down to about 1/2 size I added 15 more on top and 13 more on the bottom.

When it was done, I had to break into the salt with a hammer. The Prime rib roasts were done to perfection. They were very juicy and were slightly red in the center.

For one roast, I would use a deep 12 inch oven and cook about the same. The goal is to cook at 500 degrees, 15 minutes per pound.

Sixgun

1 - 2 of 2 Posts