Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a easy to make bullet lube ?? For 38/357 bullets on revolver and lever rifle. There's not much in the way of stores here, except dollar general and family dollar. Of course a couple of grocery stores and tractor supply. Can candle wax or paraffin be used with Vaseline or crisco. I know there's no bees wax??Well tractor supply had bag balm..lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
Yes, any Auto Parts store will have it.

Just plain auto chassis grease with a moly additive will work.

You can make the Lube as hard or soft as you like by varying the grease/beeswax ratio.

I use it in my STAR Lubsizer, but would work fine for pan lubing also!

Here is what they sale at HF which is fine.

I would NOT use paraffin, too hard.

Buy the best grade Beeswax you can find, you will still save money!

Brown Liquid Tints and shades Cylinder Font

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If you can't find beeswax locally you'll have to go find it online and have it delivered.
Oops, didn't notice the Amazon link above, pretty good price for a pound.

Reactions: seagiant1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I doubt you would see much difference between Satan's and Glen's Lube, but?

Here is the recipe for Satans Lube...basically the OLD PRE ALOX NRA FORMULA with some soap added, nothing ground breaking...does not need to be..... damn good boolit lube is simple when you remove the "tinker factor" and emotion from it.

Melt the vaseline/paraffin and add the ivory soap flakes into it til fully dissolved and the foaming stops and the globular formations are no longer, remove from heat and then add the beeswax last after the mix has cooled a bit to prevent the dreaded beeswax "scorch". You wanna do all this in a pot a bit bigger than you think you need...the soap makes stuff foam up a bit.

6oz vaseline
6oz paraffin
6oz beeswax
1 oz dried ivory flakes (foodprocessor) (you can double this if you live in a hot area or will be shooting in a hot area)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Easiest one ingredient bullet lube recipe I have personally ever found:
Powder Buy the Pound: RAL 5012 Ford Light Blue

Seriously sold all my blocks of stinky, sticky, messy, waxy goop and all my grease gun style bullet sizers including the Star and have not looked back, not once. A coolwhip tub, bag of powdercoat powder, lee push through dies, and a toaster oven simply removes all of the witchcraft and slimed up guns/hands. No more fouled seating dies that change their seat depth because of gunk either.

Obviously, some folks like the witches cauldron stirring and tinkering though. 😉 All them lube threads over there where they cannot even manage to spell the word bullet properly proves it. 😱 Don't need any pentagrams painted on the floor or virgin sacrifices with powdercoat either. 😈

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easiest one ingredient bullet lube recipe I have personally ever found:
Powder Buy the Pound: RAL 5012 Ford Light Blue

Seriously sold all my blocks of stinky, sticky, messy, waxy goop and all my grease gun style bullet sizers including the Star and have not looked back, not once. A coolwhip tub, bag of powdercoat powder, lee push through dies, and a toaster oven simply removes all of the witchcraft and slimed up guns/hands. No more fouled seating dies that change their seat depth because of gunk either.

Obviously, some folks like the witches cauldron stirring and tinkering though. 😉 All them lube threads over there where they cannot even manage to spell the word bullet properly proves it. 😱 Don't need any pentagrams painted on the floor or virgin sacrifices with powdercoat either. 😈
I've coated a few. Ford light blue from Eastwood. But sometimes I just like the old way. I don't cast hundreds at a time. **** I'm lucky if I even do 100. I cast lube and shoot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've coated a few. Ford light blue from Eastwood. But sometimes I just like the old way. I don't cast hundreds at a time. **** I'm lucky if I even do 100. I cast lube and shoot.

Depends on the bullet/cal/application but I rarely cast less than a thousand and have been known to cast 3K+ at a sitting. Two winters ago I spent a week casting/gas checking/and coating 5,400 RCBS 22-55's (2 cav mold) for the multitude of 223's that live here. Then spent another couple of weeks loading them (single stage) into pre prepped brass. Have not had to make any since then though. I have a bag of 12,000 22 cal gas checks for the next time I am feeling a bit froggy however. Likely this coming winter as I am getting a bit low on my woodchuck/steel plate loads.

I use a large countertop convection oven and can do 960 22's per oven run in them tiny silicone ice cube trays. I try to age my bullets well before shooting and normally have several K of each design in advance. Peanut butter jars work great for PC coated bullets and you never have to worry about having a gunky mess, even if they live in them jars for a decade or so. I am 100% converted to PC and could not be happier. Leaving all that waxy juju witchcraft bs behind me actually made me sleep better at night.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I was raised using Lube and a STAR Lubesizer.

I can see the upside of PC, but so invested in Lube, probably stay there! (it's a hobby!)

To get around storing lubed bullets, I just size/lube, what I need, as I go, with the STAR's!

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did it that way for years, not a thing wrong with it. To each their own....oh, and nice hand cannon man. 😈

·
Super Moderator
11,306 Posts
I am less invested in PC. I cannot say that my PC testing has come to fruition as there has been too little. I remain inexperienced. I do credit those who dove into it with vigor, made it work for them, and paved the way for us, as much as I give credit to those that made casting lead boolits a modern recreational pursuit. I appreciate their sharing of what they learned with the rest of us mortals.

I am heavily invested in lube sizing, which from before my time was "good enough", and until the upstart "PC" took root. I think back to Pioneers and Frontiersmen's pouring lead into molds around a dimly lit campfire, then killing wildlife and buffalo with "slow moving" round balls shot from smooth bore flintlocks. Dead is dead.

I have a lube sizer, lube dies, top punches, a gallon of white colored lube, dozens of molds, hundreds of crayons, thousands of boolits, and TONS of lead and alloy. I don't see me transitioning, in whole measure, to PC.

I do like the plethora of colors, the fit and obturation, the elimination (perhaps) of barrel leading, and a rise in both velocity and perhaps accuracy that is announced as achievable with PC. Regardless, BIG for caliber holes, fast or slow, have GOT TO HURT.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can't find beeswax locally you'll have to go ft online and have it delivered.
Oops, didn't notice the Amazon link above, pretty good price for a pound.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, what are you doing to require this much grease? A wheel bearing, okay, but a single shot rifle?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts