Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sign outside Osage Bait & Tackle:

Where did you used to like eating prior to the great pandemic of 2020?

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
There's a little pizza place on RT 413 called "Dominics" that I pass coming and going from my hunting farm. Best pizza I ever had! Elaine sometimes calls and tells me to bring a pie home. Only 20 miles from my house.

When we lived in Jersey there was a place called Tastee Sub Shoppe. The name did NOT do the food justice! They were BETTER than that!

Now I'm hungry.......

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Sounds good Old Man..

How about a impromptu poll.. NY City pizza..paper thin crust...Chicago pizza..thick, "deep dish" crust.

IMO..if the crust isn't a real thick crust, with a real 'bready' taste..it is not worth buying! How about you guys?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
New York style with what I would call a medium or regular crust, not ultra thin. Don't care much for Chicago style. True Chicago style has the sauce on top and cheese on bottom which makes for a dry, hard crust.
Deep dish is not Chicago style if the sauce is on the bottom. My wife is originally from Chicago so I'm all too familiar with Chicago cuisine!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Dominics leans heavily towards the New York style, but with a thin/medium crust. It's the taste of the sauce that makes it so good, and the best I ever had.

Over here the have a thicker crust version they call "Sicilian". It's pretty good too!

Hey Ironglow! Try to find some of that Sicilian style, I think you could just find it a new favorite!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I miss eating at Squealer's BBQ in Mooresville, IN. We stop there for a meal or carry out every time we go to the farm. Their Smokin Hot BBQ sauce is delicious. It has the best flavor of any hot BBQ sauce I have ever tried. I put it on all meats, fish, potatoes, eggs and beans and usually go through a couple of bottles every month.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good Old Man..

How about a impromptu poll.. NY City pizza..paper thin crust...Chicago pizza..thick, "deep dish" crust.

IMO..if the crust isn't a real thick crust, with a real 'bready' taste..it is not worth buying! How about you guys?

If you like a good bread crust try Detroit Style. My current favorite is Jet's. Comes in a square shape and the crust is excellent.

https://www.jetspizza.com/

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
If you like a good bread crust try Detroit Style. My current favorite is Jet's. Comes in a square shape and the crust is excellent.

https://www.jetspizza.com/
That may be what I w as talking about..thought it was called Chicago style. Perhaps Sicilian style also.

All I know is that I enjoy a good, deep crust just as much as the toppings.

Then GPA has to mention Culvers... Dang, when I get down to MO to see my grandson & family..I MUST visit Culver's before I leave !

I sure wish we had them around hewre. I don't know how far north~east they go...but obviously not far enough !

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
When my home town went from one privately owned pizza place to chains that came stayed,or left, I was introduced into other types of pizza I got curious and pretty much stopped making any at home with the boxed pizza from the grocery store (almost always just a cheese pizza with a LOT of cheese.)
I started to drive into the Twin Cities to see what all the alternative types were like.
For years, actually decades, I liked them all but now that I am an old fart, standard or thin crust pizza are my main picks and I HATE when the cut it in squares and not slices.
Jets has both round and rectangular pizza and I once asked the dude if he could cut the rectangular one in slices; he said he was not sure how it would turn out but he could try.
I said nah, I just wanted to see how you would answer.
I also now prefer veggie pizzas more than meat pizzas.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I’m ok with the gas. The worms? Not so much...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I like Mazeo's deep crust 3 cheese

Deaconllb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts