Graybeard Outdoors banner

Electric shift, auto belt drive or old fasioned manual shift

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bogwalker 
#1 ·
Ok, what are ya'll riding now, and which type of tranny do you prefer. I really prefer a manual shift on a 4 wheeler, no chance for a wet bel :D t to slip, I can make sure I am in the right gear for the terrain or surface at hand. Auto belt drive is nice too, makes it more fun to ride and not worry about shifting up or down. Electric shift like Honda came out with??? Seems like too much to go wrong to me.
markc

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thats for sure!

Kevins Polaris was unstoppable. He says he hates that thing. It has given him alot of problems since it was new, but when it is running, it goes anywhere. He gave me a tug or two in that really bad stuff. In fact everything out there was really bad stuff, kinda like my local lease has been looking for a month or two now.

Nothing moving but the ducks.
markc

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I hear ya.

Trappermike63, did you buy that Honda new? My old Yamaha acted that same way and I had it looked at a number of times. Had the tank drained, cleaned, fuel line done, tune ups, turned out that the problem was in the ignition system, would not send a clean spark or something. Not sure if that has anything to do with yours. Hondas are usually really good machines and have been pretty much bomb proof over the years.

dabigmoose, i love hearing stories like that. Not about polaris failure, but about how much abuse and work atv's handle. Would love to see some pic's of your atv's at work hauling those moose and crossing those rivers etc... I treated my old little Yamaha moto4 like it was a sherman tank at times when I needed to reach a spot way back in the woods to pick up a hog or something, and even the 2WD Mule I ride now has gone through some stuff I never would have thought possible. The belt drive has gotten wet a few times and left me sitting still for a minute or two until it drained back out.

If I had the $ I would likely go for the Artic Cat 400 or 500 4X4. Even their small 250 4X4 has a triple range tranny, and is full size. You should do some commercials for them with the success you've had.

Wouldn't it be great to have a job field testing ATV's Oh what a dream!
markc

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha

Now I like that hat. What a great story. I looked at some new cats yesterday while dropping off my motorcycle for a repair. Man they all looked nice. Was suprised at how big the 400's are looking these days.

Now where do you guide? and how can I get some info on your hunts?
markc :-D

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Hmmm

I might have to rethink my thoughts now. Yesterday I rode a Honda Foreman 400 with the ESp shifting. it also had some hugh super swamper tires on it. I didn't think I would like the push button shifting, but after a while I got used to it, and even liked it. I put that 4 wheeler through some serious mud, deep water and hill climbing and nothing stopped it. The ride was a bit too stiff, but it would get air on jumps and not totally jar ya to death upon landing. THe steering in 4WD was failr yeasy and after 3 solid hours of riding through the worst stuff we could find, I only stopped because I was out of gas and my feet were frozen. Nice 4wheeler for sure.
markc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.