• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you get and why?

Ive narrowed it down to the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 (plex) and the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 (z-plex or mildot).

They are both in the same price range. The Bushnell has the raingaurd, but idk how much that should sway my decision. The Zeiss has a known reputation for brillant glass....

Thanx alot!!

·
3,196 Posts
I also have owned both and would go with the Conquest any day. I have never had need of the rainguard feature, not to say it would not be beneficial in some cases. I think the Conquest has much better clarity.

Long

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Seeings how you did not list a Leupold, I chose the Conquest. It is a lot better in my opinion. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
goose7856 said:
Which would you get and why?

Ive narrowed it down to the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 (plex) and the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 (z-plex or mildot).

They are both in the same price range. The Bushnell has the raingaurd, but idk how much that should sway my decision. The Zeiss has a known reputation for brillant glass....

Thanx alot!!
..........The Zeiss has the side focus/parallax feature that is nice and I like the simple Z plex reticle for my use.....not knocking the 4200....they are good scopes.....just tried the Zeiss on reccomendation of a friend and it is one of the few non Leupold scopes I own and would buy again.......enjoy..good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, just did a price check.....didnt realize the zeiss was about $300 more than the Bushnell.....i guess which scope I get will depend on how much money I make this summer.......hopefully $1200, so if I get the zeiss that leaves $600 for a gun, if I get the Bushnell that leaves near $900 for a gun :lol: .....not sure how much a Browning Abolt Medallion would put me in the hole, but that seems to be what Im leaning towards.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
That's what I was thinking....you'ld almost get 2 elite 4200's for the price of the conquest...........the euro is really strong against the dollar right now........this is not the time to buy european made goods.......wait six months or a year and see if the prices fall when and if the dollar is stronger.......

I'd rather have 2 Bushnell elite 4200's than one conquest.....Just MHO......

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
victorcharlie......thats kind of the way im looking at it.....but that ill have more money to spend of the gun. If I choose to go with the Weatherby Vangaurd Sporter Stainless steel version then ill have plenty for w/e scope I choose, but if I go for the Browning Abolt Medallion Ill be on stricter budget.

Does anyone know the actual specs. for the Zeiss Conquest Light Transmission? All I have ever seen is "marketedly above 90%", but that is basically every good scope over the $250 range. The Bushnell 4200 is 95%, im just trying to compare.

TIA

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Goose.....no matter which rifle you choose, the Bushnell elite 4200 is a very good scope.......I bought one from Jon several months ago.......I really like Leupolds, but the Bushnell, right now, has more "value" for the money...........

As for Zeiss.........go to yahoo finance and look at the trend over the last year and a half on the dollar versus the euro...........then you'll have a better idea why the zeiss is so much more expensive..........the situation in China is reversed, and the Chinese Remenbe is way under valued......making the chinese stuff very cheap in the US.........

So much for the lesson in Global economics.....

Your a young fellow with no wife......hunting and shooting is a lot easier for you now but this will probably change over the next several years........you want that nice rifle? Now might be the time, as life changes....obligations, commitments....etc.......

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I own several Elite 4200s and a Zeiss Conquest 3x-9x-40mm.

Optics on the Conquest are a little bit better than the Elite 4200, but not noticeably.

The Elite 4200s are generally the heaviest and longest scopes on the market.

The Elite 4200s generally have the shortest eye relief on the market.

The Elite 4200 has rainguard - which works and that I have found usefull.

The Elite 4200 is noticeably less expensive than the Conquest.

Look at the specific specifications of each scope and apply it to the gun and catridge that you will be shooting and using for your hunt.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
677 Posts
Goose

I tell myself when I buy a gun or scope the following. Is the extra scope image quality make a difference in a hunting situation or is it just prettier?
Same thing for my gun is sub-MOA required or is 1"-1 1/2 " groups enough? I have a Tikka T3 and and Whitetail Hunters, Bushnell, and Grand Slam Weaver. I have never been faced with a hunting situation that these guns and scopes haven't handled.

So is it neccesary or is it style points and bragging rights. I ask myself this before all major purchases. I would rather have the extra money to go on hunting trips than look at my guns. Buckfever

·
Registered
322 Posts
My favorite setup is a Tikka Whitetail in 7mag with a Swaro A-line scope. Mine is not about ego, it's about confidence. It will print 1/2" groups all day long and I can see past dusk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What about this ?

Buckfever makes sense - the 4200 is all the scope you could ever need. I would love a Conquest but have tested enough scopes to know I am MORE than covered for legal hunting hours and beyond at half the price. Let me ask you question: Would you rather have the Zeiss or rather have the Elite AND a MOA guarantee? $1200 might not be enough for a Medallion and the Zeiss so why not get the Elite and get the Medallion with the B.O.S.S. on it - not the muzzle brake but the CR. You end up with a gorgeous new Browning, certain of shooting moa (or damn close to it), still using what can only be described as excellent optics. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like the smart move would be to buy the Browning and Zeiss combination, if that means saving for a bit longer so be it.
I've gone the less expensive option on occasions and regretted it.
You don't mention the calibre of the rifle and the intended use.
Is short eye relief going to be a problem?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent completely decided the caliber, but wither a 257 Weatherby, 25 WSSM, or a 25-06......im probably leaning towards the 25-06 so I dont think the short eye relief on the Bushnell would be a problem. The Zeiss has a 4'in eye relief so that wont be a problem at all....

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The .257 Weatherby ammo is the fastest, but also the most expensive and hardest to find.

The .257 WSSM for me is an an anamoly. It has the same ballistics as the .25-06, yet its ammo selection is much lower than the .25-06, and also harder to find than the .25-06.

Between the three - I would say the .25-06. I have one in a Tikka Laminated Stainless and it's an awesome, accurate rifle. I use Federal Premium 117 grain sierra boat-tails and get under 1 MOA.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the two scopes are even opticaly. The 4200 is better in FOV, power range of the two scopes, rainguard and price. The Conquest is better in eye relief and etched reticle. They are two of the best, you will have a great scope either way. Regards-vernonp

1 - 20 of 26 Posts