Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a EMF/Pedersoli deluxe sharps rifle in 45-70 with a set of long range sights from a SASS pard. I found the rifle on the EMF site and the price he is asking seems to be a good value.
What is the general opinion on this rifle? The Pedersoli rifles are good but does it being imported bt EMF make it any better or any worse?
I cann't justify buying a Shiloh or C Sharps and the Pedersoli rifles seem to be in my price range.
Thanks.
JW

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be a good idea to verify the name of the company that made the rifle. There are two major Italian makers, Pedersoli and Padretti, and there is a world of difference between them! Pedersoli has a good reputation. To put it nicely, Padretti would be a gamble - you *might* get a good one. EMF is an importer/distributor, they mainly deal in Padretti firearms but may also carry Pedersoli.

When comparing rifles from different distributors remember that Pedersoli builds to customer specs. It's difficult to do an "apples to apples" comparason between dealers such as Navy Arms, Dixie Arms, Traditions, EMF and others. The quality of the wood, finish and accessories such as sights vary from dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill it is a Pedersoli. The pard who is selling told me such and I found the same gun on the EMF sight less the sights. It's listed on EMF as the sharps deluxe rifle under Pedersoli.
JW

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Pedersoli quality

Mr. McCandles,

Please be advised that this is not a matter of questioning your friend's honesty, but rather a bit of history. I would NEVER think of insulting a man with a name such as yours!

Several years ago, the BPCR rumor mill had it that many early 1990's Pedersoli Sharps reproductions had "soft" blocks, actions, and firing pins. Peening of action parts and firing pin breakages were reported. Spotty quality control was blamed. Both the Sharps and Rolling Block designs were reportedly involved.

The several EMF Pedersoli sharps I've examined looked excellent, and the shooters reported excellent results.

I would have no problem buying a good-looking Pedersoli today after examining it in detail and quizzing your friend on it's shooting history (number of rounds fired), favorite loads, his accuracy results, etc.

Best of luck in your new rifle!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The old rumor mill..

Some years ago I considered buying a Pedersoli Sharps. The 'soft parts' rumors were going around at the time. On version had it that Italian environmental regulations made it impossible to properly harden steel. (Think of a Ferrari crankshaft turning at 8000 rpm, 160mph. Unhardened??) Another version said that Pedersoli made their rifles out of scrap steel of unknown origin.

I emailed Pedersoli in Italy and asked for their side of the story. I was told that the rumors were spread by "an unethical competitor." Pedersoli said they were aware of a rolling block rifle of their manufacture that had blown up supposedly as a result of a peened or siezed firing pin, causing injury to the shooter. According to Pedersoli the rifle had never been submitted to either their company nor an outside lab for inspection. Also, Pedersoli was never involved in any litigation over the incident. So as far as they were concerned the rifle had either been modified or subjected to an overcharged smokeless powder load. Finally Pedersoli said all critical parts are induction hardened by hand, and only certified, first quality metal is used.

Pedersoli's response could have all been a corporate whitewash. Or a good company may have been doing the best it could to save their reputation which was harmed by unfounded rumors. I didn't buy a Pedersoli, I saved up and bought a C. Sharps. And guess what, there are rumors floating around that C. Sharps uses uncertified scrap metal and their receivers are not properly heat treated and hardened. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Pedersoli [wisely] did not name the "unethical competitor" that stooped to spreading damaging rumors. I sort of doubt it was C. Sharps Arms...

I'd happily buy a Pedersoli and shoot it with confidence if I were in the market.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I do not shoot a Pedersoli. I do shoot a lot of NRA Silhouette Matches though, about 4 a month. Severeal of the guy's I shoot with do own Pedersoli's and I have shoot severeal of these. To a gun all of these Pedersoli's are pretty good shooters. One of the posters on this sight shot his way into Master class with a Pedersoli, that would be the "rdnck". This crap about soft parts goes around every other year are so. One time it is Pedersoli the next time it is the Uberti highwall, then C.Sharps and I have even heard this about Shiloh's a time or two. I believe that the folks spreading these rumors just don't have any thing better to do with there time, so they start a rumor now and then. **** I don't know if some of these guy's have ever shot ANY Sharps or Highwall.I will say this about the Italian Imports: they ALL have to go a through a pretty rigorous proof testing at a Italian Proof House. No American made gun has to be proofed, and there arn't even any American proof house's. In proofing these guns they are shot with a much stronger load than any of us are ever going to load. I don't know if this proofing makes them any beter or not, but it does speak to how strong they are in the begining. I would not hesitate top buy one of these Pedersoli's from what I have seen they are pretty good rifles.

Gunny

·
Registered
33 Posts
Soft blocks?

John William McCandles

<<<Several years ago, the BPCR rumor mill had it that many early 1990's Pedersoli Sharps reproductions had "soft" blocks, >>>

If anyone believes Pedersoli blocks are soft, etc. just call 318 878-1395 and ask to speak with David Christman. He's doing some work for me on a "supposedly soft block Pedersoli" and to enlarge the loading port for a .50/90 cartridge he had to HONE the port.....FOREVER....to get it enlarged. An end-mill wouldn't even scratch it!

So much for "soft block" Pedersoli's!!

:roll: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information on this. I believe I will be buying this Perdisoli sharps. By the pictures the fella sellinh it has sent it is a nice looking rifle for the money.
JW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts