Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could some one advise me on a good tight shooting round for the encore 12 gauge rifled barrel. I just set it up and im trying to save a little money after all this costs about 500 to build.Not to mention the violent recoil. im looking for 2 in at 100 yds. off a bench rest. should be easy with the right load i hope. I have a mossberg 695 that will do it and under 2in some times with winchester sabots.Hope i didnt just blow 500 for nothing

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
The most accurate slug I have found is the Remington copper solids. I have used them in several different barrels and got great results in all. I even have a 208 yard kill on a deer last year with this slug. :D

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I see that Hornady has just brought out a SST shotgun slug that has good 200 yard perfomance for rifled barrels. Looks like the sabot and bullet used in black powder loads. Pointed Super Shock tip, muzzle velocity of 2000 feet per second.

·
Registered
121 Posts
xpander

Federal Premium Barnes Expander 2-3/4" , 3/4 oz Solid Copper Hollow Point.

Get a rough zero with some cheaper SABOT rounds and fine tune with the Federal Premiums after cleaning the barrel. These rounds are expensive but give same hole performance out of my Encore with a factory barrel at 50 yards. I shot a doe this past season at around 80 yards with iron sights from a tree stand. One shot kill, full penetration, both lungs and it was running dead for about 50 yards. Blood everywhere. I think these outstanding slugs move out at 1900 FPS and expand like a razor sharp peeled banana.

They also make a 1 oz version but it's not needed on whitetail in my opinion.

FWIW

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bought the federal 3 in vital shock with hydra shock slugs today model p151ss around 1525 fps. waiting for a calm day. we had 20 mph crosswinds on the range today

·
Registered
121 Posts
TC

buckythdrslyr said:
Tc recomends 3 in rounds for this barrel
Are you sure about that? I know they stamped 3" on the barrel but that is just to let you know it CAN take the 3" magnums. Any shotgun chambered for 3" can also take 2-3/4".

I only fired a couple of 3" mags out of my encore. Gave the rest of the box of 5 away. Check the ballistics on the 2-3/4". It's pretty impressive with significantly less recoil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
accordng to TC you need to use 3 in because the slug wll have 1/4 in of play in the barrel when fired therefore causing small discrepancies from shot to shot. all i know is ive fired 2 3/4 in and they dam near blow your shoulder off. still havnt fired the 3in federals yet. waiting to forget about the recoil first lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tc

buckythdrslyr said:
accordng to TC you need to use 3 in because the slug wll have 1/4 in of play in the barrel when fired therefore causing small discrepancies from shot to shot. all i know is ive fired 2 3/4 in and they dam near blow your shoulder off. still havnt fired the 3in federals yet. waiting to forget about the recoil first lol.
Federal Premium Barnes Xpander 2-3/4" rounds give same hole bullseye performance out of my 24" factory TC 12 gauge barrel at 50 yards.

Almost all modern shotguns are chambered for 3" shells, Remington, Mossberg, Winchester etc. Never heard the TC theory before but I'll take your word for it. If you think the 2-3/4" slugs were bad, you're in for a special treat with the 3" mags.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
OK YOU GET SAME HOLE PREFORMANCE AT 50 YDS. HOW ABOUT 100 YDS ? HOW ABOUT 150 YDS?IM LOOKING FOR 22/ 250 PREFOMANCE
I am going to try my hand at fortune telling. If you are serious then I predict disappointment in your future. There are a couple of differences between a 22/250 and a shotgun slug.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2 MOA

buckythdrslyr said:
ok so i exagerated a little looking for 22/250 preformance. But sub 2 in groups at 100 yds is not to much to ask is it?
Sorry about any misunderstanding. Computer messages have no tone or inflection and can be offensive to people even though no offense was intended.

My point is that 2 MOA off the bench at 100 yards is possible with a scoped and properly zeroed rifled shotgun barrel. 3" magnums are not required for whitetail deer in my opinion. Most 2-3/4" sabots are well over 1400 FPS. The lighter, solid copper versions approach 2000 FSP. All I'm saying is try the 2-3/4" rounds. Lightfield Hybrids (2-3/4" at 1400+ FPS) are another round I've used in my old Mossberg 695. Again, same hole performance at 50 yards and yes, sub-2 MOA at 100 yards with a Leupold fixed 4X shotgun scope. I have yet to scope my Encore but will let you know the results with the Federal Premiums at 100 yards and beyond when I do later this year.

Seroiusly, a shotgun slug past 150-170 yards, in optimal conditions, against game, is pushing it to the extreme. Wounding is more of an option than a clean kill. FWIW

Sandy F.

·
Registered
85 Posts
two inch groups

Do yourself a favor and buy a 25lb bag of shot to place between the stock and your shoulder while you're sighting that beast in. There is no reason for you to take that punishment while dialing in the gun. You will find it to be very pleasent to shoot with the lead absorbing the recoil. Place the bag inside a strong plastic bag and wrap it with duct tape to remove any chance of breathing any lead dust. You will be able to use the bag for that purpose for the rest of your life and not have your brain scrambled by excessive recoil.
Once your are on target, shoot two or three rounds from your shoulder only to be sure it shoots to the same place without the bag.
A shotgun is not a rifle so don't be disappointed if you don't get under two inches; however, I really hope you do. It's a goal worth working for.
Good Luck,
williek

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've been shooting a slug gun, Moss 500, for years. I've shot the 3'' and the 2 3/4" slugs and will tell ya that the short ones have always been more accurate(at least for me).

HWD

·
Registered
122 Posts
2 3/4 is the way to go

In the 3 different slug guns I have own 2 3/4 has always been more accurate also.

Thompson encore
Rem 870 Hastings barrel
Mossberg 695

Federals have also been the best brand, I never tried the Rem coppers because of earlier problems with hastings barrels.

Mikes 2 cent with

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Starting to think i shoulda spent the 500 that it cost to build the encore on a new trigger for the mossberg. long creep on that beast. however with a totally stock model 695 im able to shoot sub 2in groups off a bench in a vise with hi impact winchester sabots. bought the 3in federal barnes expanders the other day I believe they are p151xs. some where around 1800fps waiting to try them in the encore for when i forget a little about the recoil. Losing patience. might have a 12 gauge fully rifled encore barrel with maxima steel rings and TC magnum reciol proof 1.5 to 5x scope for sale cheap. ill keep ya all posted

1 - 20 of 26 Posts