Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working with a Encore rifle in 30-06 caliber and need to develop a hunting load for mule deer using lead free projectiles. Will go with a Barnes Bullet and 4350 to start with. I have owned several Handi rifles and full length sized brass for them and do the same for my Hornet Contender carbine. I have once fired brass(Federal) fired in this gun. I have 06 full length sizing dies and neck size only dies and am wondering if i can get away with neck sizing only and still get good extraction?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As always, it depends...

I've found in my Encore chambered in .243 that I need to bump the shoulder back using the full-length die or I have problems with the action not locking up unless I close it energetically. You could certainly give the neck sizing route a try, but I suspect that even if it works for the first reloading that after a couple times through the gun you'll need to bump the shoulder back anyway.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks....i think i'll try the neck sizer and check em in the gun(see if the action closes and locks up reliably), trim all the cases before i start. I know lots of folks are lookig for max velocity but pressure comes with that. I'll start at the minimum and bump em up in half grain increments till i find a load that'll shoot. Are you guys loading and shooting 06 Encores using standard OAL or seating bullets long to match up with the throat/rifling? Sorry about all the questions....hoping to save a little time by learning from other folks experience.......Mike

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The action of the Encore has a lot more flex than a bolt gun and cases stretch more with it. If you are shooting lower power loads you should be able to neck size only, but if your running full house loads you will probably need to bump the shoulder every time.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
All hinged action rifles will have the possibility of case stretch and should be FL resized. It's a attribute of the design. You can try and depending on the pressures of your loading may or may not work. But eventually you WILL need to FL size. To my mind, why take the chance at having a issue when your away for ability to rectify... Do it correctly the first time.... Once and don't need to worry.

Actions like a ruger #1 can be neck sized like a bolt gun. Even then, you need to be certain the brass was initially fired from that gun.

CW

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I have no experience w the Contender / Encore but since you plan to hunt, a consideration regardless of action, is easily chambered and extracted ammo. Hence I'd highly suggest the full length sizing. If you need a second shot you don't want sticky extraction or difficult chambering at a critical moment - ESPECIALLY in a single shot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't have an Encore, but have used TCRs and Handis for a long time. Don't shoot any rimless cartridges, but headspace my bottlenecked cases on the shoulder. The rim is there for more reliable extraction. I partial size and try to keep headspace (measured with a sized case, not a gauge) to under .003. Just what works for me.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well,i sized cases with full length sizer but just enough to reliably close the action and made up some loads using 4064,starting at minimum and then using half grain increments....5 loads to try. pushed a bullet against the lands and used a wood dowel down the bore and marked the muzzle, then got another mark with chamber empty, action closed backed off .040from the measurement between the marks. Hope to get to the range tomorrow

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Range report.... went to the rod and gun club range yesterday. My interest was to test my loads looking for tightest groups so decided to shoot at 50 yards so I could see results thru my scope. Most loads were about an inch but 47.5 grains of 4064 did what looked like a ragged hole(3rounds). I had a fourth test round available so put it thru THE SAME HOLE!! I have heard stories about one hole groups but never seen one let alone fired one. Went downrange and sure enough four rounds went thru one ragged hole. The data I used (no chrono) tells me it'm at 2800 fps +- with a 150 grain TSX HP. Good enough for mule deer. Next range trip will test this load at 100 yards and if all's good do a final sight in for a 250 yard PBR and it'm good to go. Thanks all for help/input.......Mike

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
zoner said:
Range report.... went to the rod and gun club range yesterday. My interest was to test my loads looking for tightest groups so decided to shoot at 50 yards so I could see results thru my scope. Most loads were about an inch but 47.5 grains of 4064 did what looked like a ragged hole(3rounds). I had a fourth test round available so put it thru THE SAME HOLE!! I have heard stories about one hole groups but never seen one let alone fired one. Went downrange and sure enough four rounds went thru one ragged hole. The data I used (no chrono) tells me it'm at 2800 fps +- with a 150 grain TSX HP. Good enough for mule deer. Next range trip will test this load at 100 yards and if all's good do a final sight in for a 250 yard PBR and it'm good to go. Thanks all for help/input.......Mike

Ain't real accuracy grand? :) Hope it shoots as well at 100 for ya.

CW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts