Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I am new to the Encore world, had Contender's for years and fully understand the different types of barrels, frames, etc. The Encore barrels have me a bit more intrigued!

I see there was 24" blued and stainless barrels, made, then 26" Weathershield barrels, then 28" blued and stainless "pro hunter" barrels made.

I also see people comment standard contour and heavy contour

so my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a list to show (at the peak of the availability) what 24" barrels were made in Stainless from the factory?

2. What is the difference between Weathershield and Stainless? Is there any color difference between the two?

3. I understand the muzzleloader and shotgun barrels take a different forearm, but is the same forearm used for the standard 24" barrels, Weathershield barrels and Prohunter barrels?

4. What is the difference between the standard and heavy contour barrels? Are all factory barrels standard contour?

5. In looking at the aftermarket barrels such as MGM, EABCO, SSK, is there anything concerning forearms to be concerned about?

I would really appreciate the forum's input and answers on this!

·
Premium Member
5,143 Posts
Weather shield is a coating that looks like stainless but is not. Stainless is stainless not a finish most of the rifle barrel look like a rifle barrel configured wise the regular conture barrels usually are about the same all the way to the muzzle. I have no experience with SSK Encore barrels but the SSK barrels for the Thompson TCR 83 and 87 rifles are heavy couture and take a shotgun for arm. All the encore barrels made by MGM that I have owned took the encore Forearm Most of the time a large wooden dowel and a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it you can sand out a for arm if too tight. Hope this helps from my experience most of the barrels made today by Encore are what they call the standard taper I think what people are calling heavy conture may be what I would call bull or target or varmint conture. It can get confusing.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Which ?’s are most important to you? I am not even remotely interested in answering a plethora of questions. Just sayin... Others may or may not answer the straggling ?’s or may not...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have been an Encore owner and shooter for many years. Without getting into too much detail, I've tried to give you some guidance and answers below.

1. Is there a list to show (at the peak of the availability) what 24" barrels were made in Stainless from the factory?

I do not know, hopefully someone else can answer this one for you.

2. What is the difference between Weathershield and Stainless? Is there any color difference between the two?

Weathershield is a coating applied to a barrel made from non-stainless steel that helps protect it from rust and other corrosion. Since it is a coating, it is subject to wear and tear. There is a color difference.

3. I understand the muzzleloader and shotgun barrels take a different forearm, but is the same forearm used for the standard 24" barrels, Weathershield barrels and Prohunter barrels?

As far as typical centerfire rifle factory barrels go (standard contour 24" barrels, heavy contour 26" barrels and Pro Hunter 28" barrels) whether blued, stainless or Weathershield, they all use the same forearm. There are other barrel profiles but I'm not familiar with their fit for forearms.

4. What is the difference between the standard and heavy contour barrels? Are all factory barrels standard contour?

All TC Encore barrels are the same diameter at the breech, the difference in contour happens a bit past the chamber. The most common factory centerfire rifle barrels are the standard contour 24", heavy contour 26" and Pro Hunter 28" lengths (though there are others). The 24" standard contour barrels reduce down to a thinner profile than the heavy contour 26" and 28" barrels. The heavy, or thicker, barrels tend to have less flex and therefore tend to be more accurate (but that's not a guarantee by any means).

5. In looking at the aftermarket barrels such as MGM, EABCO, SSK, is there anything concerning forearms to be concerned about?

I can't answer that either, hopefully you'll get good info from other members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts