Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have opinions on the accuracy of the pro Hunter verses bolt actions. I expected way better but my bolt actions are shooting circles around the Encore. Don't smash me yet I haven't given up but I'm doing something wrong. I've never owned a break action as tight and snug as this one so after 40 rounds through it today it has been a disappoint. I put almost 300 rounds down range out of 4 rifles today and the TC was by far the worst.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i was disappointed with the encore i had.
it wasn't up to the fit and finish of the contenders
i have, and it wasn't as smooth so i sent it away
to a new home. that said knowing there are a
gazillion satisfied encore owners.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Encores can be exceptionally accurate. But then again, I prefer the TCs over anything else. Telling us exactly are you shooting -- from scope bases to rings to stocks to barrel to bench technique and loads -- will help better understand your situation and perhaps make some suggestions.

I am a stickler for precision and consistency and would not use the single shots if they did not meet my expectations.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shooting TC Prohunter in 25-06. Weaver base. Leupold rings. Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40. Stainless steel action and barrel. Barrel is 23 1/2 inches long. Prior owner had it cut down from a 26 inch. Was shooting Barnes and Federal factory. Last week I tried a few rounds to zero in and get the brass to reload a few. Could only get out to 60 yards. The range was a mud hole from all the rain. Bullet holes touching and dead on zero. I'm happy. Put muzzle loader barrel on and hunted Saturday. Changed barrels and went back to the range. Set up at 100 and groups were opening up to 3 inches or so. I had hand loaded 5 rounds of 117 grain Hornady Interlocks over 48 grains of IMR 4831. Chrono gave 2700 ballpark and group was in 4 inch range. Scopes good and tight. Encore has no play anywhere. Kept barrell cool. Not sure what's going on. 260 and 308 bolt still hanging true at sub 1/2 inch groups. Shooting off Uncle Buds Bull Bag. Picture is reloads.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reading Steves pages and he had done countless loads on a 25-06 and stated it took him almost a year to finally get a good load. I see posts on here that give a lot of luck. I am almost positive I wasn't pushing 117 grain bullet as fast as it should have been. The factory Barnes were loaded hot enough to feel recoil difference than the Federal Fusion. Both on chronograph were pushing 3000 fps +. My reloads were around 2700 fps. Still what groups that were good enough to hunt with in the Barnes ammo was a far cry short of sub half inch groups in my bolt actions. As you can see from pictures that's a 6 inch circle with one inch square in center. Groups were stringing. Hotter barrel was closest shots. Wasn't trying to zero but would have liked them under an inch.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have several bolt guns that I have handloaded for that drive tacks. Most were not hard to find that load. I have owned the encore with .308, .260, 7mm-08 and 50 bp in rifle lengths. I have yet to get any of those to shoot MOA consistently and was getting stringing with the .308 before I got rid of it. However, in the pistol barrels, I have had great luck. The 15" .270 will shoot sub moa. The .44mag will shoot 1.5moa. I had a .223 that would do 1/2 MOA, but sold it after it got a 1/2 MOA .223 barrel for my contender. It just doesn't seem right that I have pistol barrels that shoot better than the rifle, but they do. I have tried every tip I could find on how to make the encore rifle shoot better and never could find the right combination. All my barrels were factory TC though, have never owned an aftermarket barrel.

Rosewood

·
Registered
632 Posts
From bullet holes touching at 60 yards to 3" groups at 100 likely indicates something on the order of inconsistent placement/pressure on the bags (swivel stud making contact), forend screw tension differences or even base-rings-scope area. Since you swapped barrels, I'd start with the forend. The flimsy factory forends are notorious for flex, too, and can cause inconsistencies if any play exists.

Also, TCs seem to shoot best when the frame is placed so that the trigger guard is just shy of touching the edge of the sandbags.

With that being said, the 25-06 is and has been TCs problem child. '06-length cases seem to get stark variances in chamber depth and overall tolerances from barrel-to-barrel. Some shoot superbly. Others have been sent back because 6" groups were as good as they would do. It's hit or miss with TC factory barrels in 25-06...no pun intended.

But your 60 yard groups tell me your barrel is certainly worthy of further testing and likely will turn out to be a fine shooter before all is said and done.

EDITED TO ADD: Years ago, I had a factory 6.5x55 barrel that would be wonderful one day and 3-4" higher or lower the next day. The disappointing pattern of change remained no matter what I did. Not until I replaced the factory forend with a good after-market version and added an oversized hinge pin did my problems go away. After that, groups tightened considerably, but most importantly, I got the consistency that I had been striving for. Day after day and month after month, the POI remained as predictable as the best in Swiss clockwork. It's all about harmonics in the TCs, and the slightest bit of slop between the barrel and frame will cause you countless headaches. The good news is that it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only difference I can think of is I was using a front and rear bag last time when I zeroed at 60. The bull bag sets lower and I have to keep my hand under the pistol grip because it's so long with the Thumbhole stock. If I keep it that's the first thing I will replace. I like the flex stock but not the Thumbhole. Boyd seems to make a nice stock and fore end from the looks of them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That definitely could have caused the variance. As to Boyd's, I have 3 sets, and they work fine. It may sometimes take a bit of adjusting with the forend (sometimes an extra washer or 2 is needed to get proper tension). But they look good and work fine.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have a synthetic fore end that came with the .308 bbl when I bought it. I also have a synthetic stock I bought new when I bought the 50 bp bbl. I have often wondered if a walnut set would solve the problems, but haven't invested in the money to try it. I have free floated the fore end and use washers to space it to no avail. Also installed the TC adjustable hinge pin. I have put too many rounds & $$ down the bbls and determined it ain't worth the fight. I am just gonna stick with the pistol bbls for accuracy and bolt guns for longer guns. ;)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
2gunshunting said:
Does anyone have opinions on the accuracy of the pro Hunter verses bolt actions. I expected way better but my bolt actions are shooting circles around the Encore. Don't smash me yet I haven't given up but I'm doing something wrong. I've never owned a break action as tight and snug as this one so after 40 rounds through it today it has been a disappoint. I put almost 300 rounds down range out of 4 rifles today and the TC was by far the worst.

That of course depends on which Encore and which bolt action. I have several Encore handgun barrels with which I've shot 3 shot groups at 200 yards measuring about 1.5 inches which is probably better than many can do with their bolt action rifles. I expect an Encore rifle barrel to shoot less than 1 MOA and some shoot a lot less.

Strictly speaking, a well made bolt action should shoot better than a break action gun but comparing the Encores I have and some higher end bolt action rifles than many shoot, my Encores will shoot as well or better.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
65465 said:
I've got my best accuracy out of Encores by placing the sand bag just in front of the trigger guard and applying very little to no down pressure.
Ditto, I always rest my Encore and Contenders on the pivot and let the barrel do its thing. I often use one forend screw also

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
truth to be told it is possible to get bad TC-E barrels . I have had at least one , it was a 708 sent it in to TC and traded what I got back for a 7 mag. then traded that for a 300 win mag. but the head space was wrong sent that in to TC and thet sent me a good one .

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
swims-with-beavers said:
truth to be told it is possible to get bad TC-E barrels . I have had at least one , it was a 708 sent it in to TC and traded what I got back for a 7 mag. then traded that for a 300 win mag. but the head space was wrong sent that in to TC and thet sent me a good one .
Actually, I sent the .308 bbl back to TC and they sent me a new bbl. It shot the same as the one I sent in. Never made any sense to me. So I sold it. Got a .260 Rem bbl a few months back and had head separation with it. Bought a no-go gauge and it would chamber easily. Sent it into the twice before the admitted there was a head space issue. They now require you to send in the whole gun, not just the barrel like they used to. Since they don't make the .260 anymore, they offered something else, but there wasn't an Encore bbl I wanted so I asked for a contender 23" 7-30 waters bbl and they sent me one of those. I had been wanting one of those anyway and couldn't pony up the $$ for a new one. They forgot to return my adjustable hinge pin with the Encore frame, but after calling back, they finally sent me a new one.

Good customer service, just not always good gunsmith work. None of the above cost me any money other than a trip to UPS which isn't that far for me.

Rosewood

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have had really good luck with the Encores that I have had. I have never gotten one that has the problems that have been talked about here, and have read about at other forums, over large chambers and such. Right now I own a SS Encore and three different barrels. The 308 barrel will shoot right at an inch at 100 yrds, with me driving it and that is pretty good. I also have a 204 Ruger barrel that I have consistantly shot into 3/8 inch and a 223 barrel that is really old and I have no idea how many round it has shot, but still with my handloads will shoot under 3/4 inch. I do handload everything and taylor everything to the barrels. I check the headspace of a once fired casing and go from there. I size so that each shell is like the dummy I have made for each cartridge and barrel that I load for.
I have never had any of the mentioned problems with anything I load for my Encore, but I am very anul about being careful and watching what I do with reloading. Just my two cents and worth all that you have paid for it. Good luck as you move forward.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts