Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fellows make these, I do once in a while they are really good with hot Tea and a little orange marmalade.

Deaconllb

·
9,530 Posts
I do... and they're a big hit whenever I do! :cool:

Actually they are Americanised Scones. Sweeter then the English make. I searched out a recipe for Starbucks Vanilla Bean Scones. :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put in a little more sugar than the receipt calls for, one problem I have is I tend to roll out the dough a little too thin.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I don't care for them. People who like biscuits probably will like them. I prefer yeast breads including English muffins.

I triggered a snowflake biological but probably not self identified "woman" by not pronouncing them sgons, which "she" insisted was the only proper way to pronounce the name.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts

I like them and sometimes make some from a recipe found on the web I have always considered Scones as a Scottish specialty. Not that the English can't enjoy scones, but I have always considered them as a specialty we got from the Scots !

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
One thing about confections like this is that they are probably best when made with some politically incorrect type of fat like lard, tallow, or butter.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
One thing about confections like this is that they are probably best when made with some politically incorrect type of fat like lard, tallow, or butter.
Nothing beats butter...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have butter in them the receipt that I use does not call for oil or lard or anything like that only butter and a small amount of milk plus egg, salt, baking powder, raisins, flour, sugar.

Deaconllb

·
22,249 Posts
im an English muffin guy myself. A occasional bagel but that's a couple times a year.
I don't care for them. People who like biscuits probably will like them. I prefer yeast breads including English muffins.

I triggered a snowflake biological but probably not self identified "woman" by not pronouncing them sgons, which "she" insisted was the only proper way to pronounce the name.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
My daughters make them on occasion. They use butter and they are a bit sweet but not “sweet” by any means. They are good with bits and pieces made into them or with a bit of Jam. A nice hot cup of tea or coffee with it and all is good.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Etymology

Some think that scone comes from the Gaelic "sgonn", which meant a piece of dough that has been cooked for a couple of minutes, shapeless mass or large mouthful; and the Dutch "schoonbrot", which meant fine white bread; or, for last, the German "sconbrot", which meant fine or beautiful bread. The Oxford English Dictionary believes the German and Dutch is more accurate.

·
9,530 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Yes, frosting is a heresy!!!
I prefer clotted cream and strawberry preserves with my scones. :)

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Aaach! For me...frosting on a scone would be some kind of culinary heresy ! :tango_face_surprise:tango_face_wink:.
Bravo!
For what ever reason ,with the exception of a very, very few frostings that are butter based and taste like it, I have zero love for frosting.
Now Raised Glazed donuts are often so caked with sugar, I will break off at least fifty percent of it.
I think the main reason is I hate powdered sugar, which is probably also why I do not like fudge.

As scone is really just another name for a biscuit, I think some people are just paying for it name.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are going to eat Scones you must have Orange Marmolade with them, any thing else and you are just eating biscuits with jelley.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
If you are going to eat Scones you must have Orange Marmolade with them, any thing else and you are just eating biscuits with jelley.

Deaconllb
Ever try lemon marmalade? Not too common, but if you see it and like orange marmalade, it could be a treat.

Easy to make. Meyer lemons are small and orange yellow and are not available year round. Here's a recipe.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/meyer_lemon_marmalade/

As with skinning cats, there's more than one way to do it.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts