Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of these at Home Depot last night:

I needed something to split some smaller logs to make kindling wood for the fireplace. (Just got a Stihl chainsaw) Sharp and handy, just about the right size for what I need. I wouldn't want to cut down a big tree with it, but it could do it. Heavier than a hatchet, lighter than a double bit ax. All steel neck so you don't have to worry about splintering the handle.

323 Posts
Estwings are pretty darn good! They used to be the thing to have when I was a Boy Scout.

Having said that, the mid-length axe CAN be more dangerous if not handled carefully. If you miss, that blade is about boot height, instead of plowing up roots. Having said that, there is a "Hudson's Bay" axe in my car trunk, next to the shovel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I picked up a old Eastwing at a Auction for $3. It is one of the handiest cutting tools I own for clearing brushy areas and cutting small trees.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The Estwing axes and hatchets too are top of the line. I need to head out to Home Depot and see if they have one I can buy for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Just picked one up a couple of days ago after reading this post. I split a mess of kindling with it and love it. I've even been carrying it while walking the dogs at night.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have had that same ax for about 20 years. Still going strong. I also have one of their hatchets with the stacked leather grip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey
How do you think it would be for throwing?? I considered the ax but also been looking at others. Does the steel go all the way to the handle??
Bearbeater

1 - 9 of 9 Posts