Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobodys staying home. Northern Michigan is under attack by tourists. 5000 people crossed the mackinaw bridge in one hour on Friday! When I went for a walk yesterday the campgrounds were stuffed. Mostly with plates from the south and west. Why cant they leave us alone and stay home!!!! I honestly think traffic and tourism is much higher this year then it EVER has been. Campgrounds so full people are camping on the shore of lake superior off any access road there is. There was even a motor home from Arkansas parked on my road yesterday. I told them to leave and they said theres no campgrounds available. I told them tough **** move on!! I think they were a bit freaked by the 1911 I had holstered on my side!! CV cases will spike around here after the holiday weekend!! Unbelievable theres so many stupid people in this country. Wifes son is up visiting and she was going to take him and his wife kayaking on the river. She drove past there yesterday and said it looked like an interstate highway there were so many boats. Comical thing is they really think there seeing the wilderness like that. She said no way was she doing it now. You couldn't pay me to walk in a store this week up here!

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Now you know how I feel every winter when we get overrun with tourists.

The Y opened up here but I haven’t gone back. Talked to both my primary care doctor and cartologist and they both said I’m too high risk to go back to the Y, even though I dearly loved the friends I made there and the exercise. I was feeling better than I had in years and losing weight before the virus came to Florida. So I just walk here on the ranch. Usually just at daybreak before it gets hot.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup the gym opened back up here last week but im not going . I walk every day. alternate days lift some free weights and work out of the box flex at home. Never cared for lifting around other people anyway. I have to admit. Your state is a complete tourist trap area too. Thing we deal with is consentration. ALL of florida attracks tourists. At least that spreads them around. Seems everyone wants to come to the wilderness of the UP in the last 10 years. Most of the rest of MI doesn't see it. Even parts of the UP don't. We have the lake and the pictured rocks and that bring in the hoards. When I moved here in 87 we had one campground and it was rarely full. Now theres 11 within 10 miles of here and there jam packed even with this virus. So like you I walk early. Usually just after the sun comes up. Heck I do it in the dark but for the wolves around here on the trail I walk to the lake. I feel much better too. Ive lost 45 lbs in the last year. Muscle tone is back and the only thing I cant do is run. A hip replacement ankle replacement and back surgerys put that in the past. Honestly I was never much for running anyway.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nobodys staying home. Northern Michigan is under attack by tourists. 5000 people crossed the mackinaw bridge in one hour on Friday! When I went for a walk yesterday the campgrounds were stuffed. Mostly with plates from the south and west. Why cant they leave us alone and stay home!!!! I honestly think traffic and tourism is much higher this year then it EVER has been. Campgrounds so full people are camping on the shore of lake superior off any access road there is. There was even a motor home from Arkansas parked on my road yesterday. I told them to leave and they said theres no campgrounds available. I told them tough **** move on!! I think they were a bit freaked by the 1911 I had holstered on my side!! CV cases will spike around here after the holiday weekend!! Unbelievable theres so many stupid people in this country. Wifes son is up visiting and she was going to take him and his wife kayaking on the river. She drove past there yesterday and said it looked like an interstate highway there were so many boats. Comical thing is they really think there seeing the wilderness like that. She said no way was she doing it now. You couldn't pay me to walk in a store this week up here!
I feel the same way when the snowbirds come to the Southwest for the winter.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well there not coming from this area. Very few up here go south for the winter. maybe from deeper down state or ohio, Indiana New York ect. But up here in the summer theres more out of state plate in town then Michigan plates. TONS of them from the south. 99 percent of the ones I that I hear about going south go to mostly FL and some to Tx but I don't know a single soul that goes to AZ for the winter. Most of the people up here love winter and stay here because its actually peaceful. Sad thing is it used to be in the summer too. Sometimes kind of wish this area was an ugly swamp. People go south to escape the cold. They come here because of the beauty of the land. Guess im lucky in a way though. Could live somewhere near the grand canyon or Yellowstone where tourist flood in all year long.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
So your wifes son and wife must be a neighbor? Or does the stay out of my town only apply to the rest of the world?

Reactions: necromonster

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theres a few id welcome a visit from. Your even on that list cupcake

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Apparently I was right boot licker.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Apparently I was right boot licker
There was even a motor home from Arkansas parked on my road yesterday. I told them to leave and they said theres no campgrounds available. I told them tough **** move on!!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Lucky for you it wasn’t me. I’d have told you to F off...

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lucky for you it wasn’t me. I’d have told you to F off...
PLEASE HAUL YOUR HOUSE UP HERE AND DO THAT! Until then why don't you take your internet bad a-- self back in your camper and send your wife to the laundry to clean your sheets for the Saturday night meeting. At least try not making it so easy for me to show you for who you really are.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I love comedy hour... Ya do such a great job of showing who you are...

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theres no comedy hour with you that's for sure. Its 24/7!! You notice all your old back up buddies are long gone. Nobody anymore wants to be associated with your prejudice posts.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I’m in Munising at this very moment. Actually 20 minutes south. The best boating in Michigan. Real nice area. Been coming up here for 15 years or so. It is getting crowded. I would like to see the winter up here. Probably a bit more than I’m used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
winters beautiful too and although theres snowmobile tourists its nothing like the summer rush lately. But if you snowmobile theres some of the nicest riding in the Midwest.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its even worse today then it was when I first posted. This area is crazy. We always have LOTS of tourists but this year is NUTS! I thought the virus would slow it down but its just the opposite and I was told yesterday by my niece that owns a resort why. She said people are telling here that its the only place they feel safe coming because theres so few cases up here. I guess there to stupid to realize that if everyone thinks that and comes that eventually one of them will bring it with them. This weekend the beach looked like a refugee tent camp. There must have been 100 tents on the beach in a 1/4 mile stretch. All camped illegaly and the camp grounds that are on both sides of that stretch of beach are packed full. My sister runs the resort for her daughter who is a PA at the hospital. Sister told me she could rent the apartment I have out back for 300 bucks a night right now because nobody can find a camp ground or motel in the area. I told her NO THANKS. I sure don't want any virus and to be honest I don't want to deal with some liberal yuppys in there prius. I don't need there money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts