Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever pulled (or otherwise removed) one of those cheezy bronze colored medallions off the buttstock of one of those "commemorative" lever rifles? (Were talking a shooter here, not a collector.)

If so, how did you do it?

What did you replace it with?

(I couldn't stomach hunting with a rifle that had something like a Chevy Truck emblem on it.)

Mannyrock

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
probably just glued with some
prongs sticking into the wood.
if it doesn't bother you too much,
just give it a shot of krylon and
declare it ready to go. it can't
look too much worse than the ugly
hole removing it would leave.
good luck

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I believe I read that a fifty cent piece fits like a glove.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Did this on a knife, never a lever gun ...

Drill a hole from the other side, relatively small, until the tip just dimples the backside of the medallion. Pour some solvent of some sort through the hole to break down the adhesive; do the same around the edges of the medallion as best you can. Using a drill bit one size smaller than the hole, tap the medallion out; you could use a heavy hammer, or a c-clamp arrangement, or a press ... you get the idea.

This assumes you're going to fill in, sand down, and refinish afterwards.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Drill and tap medallion, spray in a little water or thinner, install a screw into threads. Use a pry of some sort should pop it but a few applications of water or thinner may be needed and depending on the base of the glue one will work better than the other. Your pry can be as simple as a hammer and block of wood to pry against or can get more involved. A specialty woodworking shop probably stock wood plugs of the appropriate size or at least one that can be fashioned to work.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez. I never thought I would need to use solvents and ruin the finish to get one of these things out. That glue must be pretty tough. I was hoping I could just pry it out.

Or maybe, I can drill an 1/8th inch hole on the opposite side, until I hit the back of the medallion, and then put in a steal punch, and line everything up and wack it really hard with a hammer? I'm pretty sure that the medallion would pop out of the other side. I've seen these things fall out by themselves sometimes.

I was thinking that it would cool to replace the medallion with a silver coin (a dollar, or a half dollar), with the same year as the model year of the rifle. For instance, if it were a 94 Winchester, a coin dated 1894.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Try heat on the center of the medallion to release the glue. A micro torch, or even one of those cheap torch type lighters would work nicely. If you don't have one of those, a soldering iron could work but more slowly.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Sheridan5mm said:
Try heat on the center of the medallion to release the glue. A micro torch, or even one of those cheap torch type lighters would work nicely. If you don't have one of those, a soldering iron could work but more slowly.

That's a great idea ... or freeze it maybe; i know for example on knives, a lot of the adhesives used on commercial knives don't hold up well to cold. If you put it in the freezer, it might just pop itself off.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
if you have not got the medallion out yet..
use a bolt and some JB Weld
glue the bolt head to the face of the medallion with the jb weld
after it has set up hard, grab the threads of the bolt with some pliers and pop out the medallion

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
shawlerbrook said:
Be very careful you don't splinter the sides of the hole when yanking or pushing it out.

That was my thought when I suggested a solvent of some kind; the JB Weld and the adhesive may be stronger than the wood the adhesive is attached to. If you can break down the adhesive some way (hot, cold, solvent, etc.) you'd be less likely to damage the surrounding wood.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
mannyrock said:
Geez. I never thought I would need to use solvents and ruin the finish to get one of these things out. That glue must be pretty tough. I was hoping I could just pry it out.

Or maybe, I can drill an 1/8th inch hole on the opposite side, until I hit the back of the medallion, and then put in a steal punch, and line everything up and wack it really hard with a hammer? I'm pretty sure that the medallion would pop out of the other side. I've seen these things fall out by themselves sometimes.

I was thinking that it would cool to replace the medallion with a silver coin (a dollar, or a half dollar), with the same year as the model year of the rifle. For instance, if it were a 94 Winchester, a coin dated 1894.

Mannyrock

I put a fifty cent piece on my rifle from the year I was born. They didn't make a silver dollar that year, but I think a silver dollar would be too big.

I also think heat would be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Well S-A they did! It was made Outta rock but they made it. ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts