Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they usually aren't a very nice deep blue in the first place, I though about putting another coat of blue on one. Anyone ever try it on a Handi barrel?
I did polish my barrel with Flitz and it brought out a deeper blue, but again I like to tinker 8)

·
Super Moderator
50,975 Posts
I reblued a .30-30 barrel I got off ebay, stripped it completely with fine crocus cloth then heated it with hot water, wiped it down and used B/C Perma Blue. It took several burnishings with #0000 steel wool, but it came out real nice, a deep shiny finish, I am real happy with it.

Tim

Not a very good pic for seeing the finish, sorry...

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never stripped the blue of a rifle before, but have applied another layer to an old Nagant barrel I have laying around.
Wonder how well it would turn out for a Handi barrel with a factory blueing already on it?
How many applications did you put on your 30-30 quick?

·
Super Moderator
50,975 Posts
I don't remember for sure, but I'd guess 4 or 5....but I stripped it first, I've never got good results trying to blue over existing blueing. B/C makes a blueing remover also, but I've never used it. I tried to blend new blueing with the original blueing on my BC after the smith that rechambered it to 45-120 scored the outside of the barrel during the lathe work, but it never worked very well, I had Wayne York reblue the entire barrel to fix it.

Tim

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm, oh-well. I am looking for 2 links then and I can't seem to find them. Someone asked you about one a while ago. The one where you painted your barrel and baked it in the oven :)
I am sure it made a hard finish.
Also what exactly did you take off the blue with? Got a link to show me exactly what it is?
I asked this at another forum , and got no where.
Thanks Tim

·
Super Moderator
50,975 Posts
The baked finish is on Handirifle's web site and Brownell's sells Gun-kote. B/C blueing remover was recommended by my Gunsmith before he reblued the BC barrel for me. I never used it, since he said he would just bead blast it for me instead. The .30-30 barrel originally wasn't blued but had a french gray finish on it that I didn't like, so I used fine automotive crocus cloth that comes in strips to sand the finish off, degreased, heated with hot water, then wiped it dry and applied the B/C Perma blue several times with steel wool burnishing between applications.

Tim

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150&title=GUN-KOTE? OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH

http://www.handirifle.com/articles/parkerizing.htm

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here is a process outlined by Marshall Stanton over at Beartooth Bullets.

The article is about his restoration of an old levergun he found in pawn shop. Scroll down to the part about rebluing.

Should work nicely for a handi if you can find a container the right size.

I have some plans to use this process this winter on my Super Blackhawk.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/58

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good article. Some cool info, and long to boot. Thanks MtJerry
Anyone else got any more information I could use?
Even if I don't end up using it one of my Handi barrels, I'll try it out on one of my Nagant barreled recievers...seeing that I have 9 of them what do I have to loose :) .

·
Registered
220 Posts
i refinished mine in a matte black duracoat finish to match my scope. turned out real nice and was pretty easy to do. sorry i don't have a picture of it right now to show. if interested try lauerweoponry.com. that's where you'll find it.

·
Super Moderator
50,975 Posts
MtJerry, what a coincedence, I just got off the phone with Marshall about the 525gr PileDriver bullets and my 45-120, seems like a real nice fella!! I gotta do some load work and get back to him cuz he has no data for it and would like to see it..... 8)

Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone every had a barrel teflon coated before? I have a friend that just started doing it himself and it looks pretty cool. Seems like if you did this the gun would be protected from moisture as well as cutting down on glare.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you were doing a handi barrel would you plug it somehow, or just dunk it? And what about the ejector assembly? You'd also have to gut the frame, and would this stuff stick to the hammer since it is clearly different metal from the rest of the gun? If guns kill people, then spoons make them fat, right? :shock:

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the Teflon coating, I would think so. Though I have never heard of someone doing this. As for blueing, if you had the tanks I guess you would blue the ejector assembly and all. I have never been around the hot blueing tanks personally. The only blueing I ever did was with paste or liquid. Still didn't look as nice as dipping it in the hot tanks.
Side note-I love the blue job that Ruger does. Nice and real deep.

·
Super Moderator
50,975 Posts
beckerhead said:
If you were doing a handi barrel would you plug it somehow, or just dunk it? And what about the ejector assembly? You'd also have to gut the frame, and would this stuff stick to the hammer since it is clearly different metal from the rest of the gun? If guns kill people, then spoons make them fat, right? :shock:
Gunsmiths will tank the entire barrel, bore and all, Wayne said it will make the bore last longer. The ejector/extractor is easily removed, just 3 pins and it's out of there. The frame is a bit more complicated and if doing it yourself, I would recommend downloading Perklo's trigger hone instructions to help ya out.

If guns kill people, then spoons make them fat, right?

Yup, just ask Rosie!!!! :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here's what I've done on several guns with excellent results. I use plain old high temp Grill paint, which you can get for around $3-4 a can. I take the gun apart, down to the pieces I want to refinish. I spray them with 2-3 coats and stick them in the oven. Cook 'em at around 250* for 20-25 minutes, and the results have been great. I've done a Mark I pistol, and AK, and a couple barrels, and the results have been the same. Its a pretty durable finish, and looks good!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
How 'bout them Pics?

Hey, Jason, how about posting some pics. That sure sounds a lot easier than blueing. Did you do any in a matte finish?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Blueing metal is actually forcing it to rust, dunking a barrel with the bore open is not good as this will rust and any type of rust means pits.
The best way to strip any existing blueing from metal is to use muratic acid which can be purchased at any hardware store, all parts must be disassembled and the acid as it comes from the container should be diluted with distilled water.
After the metal has been stripped it can be polished with steel wool or a convolute deburring wheel on a bench grinder. if using the bench grinder method be careful not to smear any lettering or sharp edges.
The amount of polishing will determine how shinny the metal is after blueing.
Most serious hunters do not want a shinny finish on a gun, bead blasting the metal after polishing will leave a nice satin finish after blueing.
The best and most durable form of blueing is called slow rust blueing and sometimes called slow rust browning, actually it is all slow rust browning, the only difference is boiling the browned parts in distilled water to make them turn blue. when boiling a barrel I plug the bore on one end with a rubber plug and the other end I use a piece of poly tubing that will fit into the bore snug and let the other end of the tube extend out of the water. If the barrel is plugged with rubber plugs on both ends it will blow them out as the air inside the barrel is heated as the water boils.
I have blued dozens of guns from handi's to high dollar custom rifles and the best blueing solution in my opinion is from Laurel mountain ( laurel mountain barrel brown ). This product has detergents in it so it is quite forgiving if there is fingerprints or any oil residue on the metal.
Slow rust blueing is simple and does not require any special equipment as long as you do it during humid weather.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts