Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I've bought and sold many rifles in my lifetime, although when I started out I swore I'd never sell one...

The one that I wish I still had, though, was an old post WWII era M1916 (Guardia Civil) Spanish Mauser in .308 Win. with iron sights. One of the UGLIEST rifles I've ever seen, absolutely trashed from crown to stock... beat up brown wood with burn marks and God knows what other kind of stains, 1/8" thick iron strap for the recoil pad and half of that was rusted... overall just a disgusting rifle to look at.

However, that thing could SHOOT!!!! From Iron sights, I could easily print 1-1/4" groups at 100 yds., and after figuring out how to machine a special side bracket and attach it for a 6x scope, I shot MANY 1/2"-5/8" groups with that rifle. It was as accurate as my bull barrel Remington 700 .308 Win. sniper rig, with about 1/2 the recoil. Bought the rifle for $60 back in 1992, sold it in late 2001 for $150 and I've been KICKING myself ever since... one of the stupidest things I've EVER done.

Any similar stories out there? Anyone sell a rifle and wish you could turn back the clock to do it differently?

Best wishes,
Bawko

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Those Spanish Mausers are great. I killed my first deer with a sporterized one. If I find one around I'll jump on it.
I am about to trade off an Norinco SKS I picked up back in January. Though I don't believe I'll regret it. Whoever had it before me tried to make a full auto out of it :eek: .
It didn't work-though now it is extremely dangerous if upon cocking you let the action fly instead of letting it up slowly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yep sure do! :D

when I started Deer hunting we could only use shotgun the first two days and rifle the remainder of the season. I always seemed to get my deer the first day. I had a 30-06 savage I never used much and I really wasn't into range shooting at that time. I moved to MN and met my wife and got married and where I hunted there it was shotgun only. That rifle shot good! less than 1 MOA at 100 yrds . Times were tough and wife said" hey you " "why don't you sell that rifle to my brother " I thought ok we need the money and he said you can buy it back at anytime. Well anytime came 3 years later and he said sorry its sold. I thought oh no, but was my own fault :cry: Well long story short the rifle and my wife are gone, but I never sold any of my guns again.

Norse

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
I had a 30/30 marlin that shot dead nuts! I cry all the time about that . bad subject. I HAVE TO TAKE A PILL NOW SORRY. :cry:

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
To many to list. But I just keep doing it and getting something else to replace it. :D

·
Administrator
26,061 Posts
Only a couple hundred times or so. Ah to be able to call back some of those bad moves.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A Ruger #3, loved the gun, hated the .22 Hornet chambering. I should have kept the rifle and converted it into a .30-40. :oops:

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Oh yeah, two of them that come right to mind. One was an early Marlin 444 - 24" bbl and monte carlo stock - shot like a match gun and I loved it. Brought home a number of whitetail and a bunch of hogs with that one. The other was a Sako Forester in 243 - an easy 400 yd woodchuck rifle. Sold them both the same day and have regretted it for 20 years. Well, almost. Mikey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmmmm. Let's see....

These are only the ones I'm willing to admit:
1. Win. Mdl. 71 348 win.
2. Win. Mdl. 70 264 Win Mag
3. Sako action 35 Whelen Improved
4. S&W mdl. 24 44spl. 4in. (revolver)
5. Colt Ace 1911 22lr. (pistol)
6. Colt SAA 5 1/2" 44 spl. (revolver)
7. Pre 64 Win. mdl. 100 308
8. Browning BLR in 358

Gee, I can't believe I have admitted to these. I bought most of them at really good prices and many are now through the roof, which just means I'll probably never have them again!

Why did you have to ask? Now, I'm really bummed!

·
Registered
681 Posts
YES !!! Two of them!

Back in my younger (and foolish) days, I had 2 Pre-64 Winchester M-70's chambered in 300 H&H Magnum!
It still pi$$e$ me off and I kick my own a$$ whenever I think about it!
In the 80's, I sold both of these rifles for $300.00 each!

Then I think that today, I could pretty-much name my price!

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!

·
Registered
319 Posts
My first ever rifle was a Savage 99 in .308Win. I kept it for a couple years then got rid of it because it would shoot no better than 1 1/4" groups at 100yds. (5 shots). Being young and inexperienced I didn't realize that it wasn't half bad for a light, lever action rifle. Quite a few times I've wishes I had that rifle back again. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep. My first Winchester M70 .30-06. Almost twenty years ago, the basic blind-magazine, wood stock plain-jane model was called a Ranger - aka cheap and inexpensive. A push feed action, it didn't have a controlled round feed claw on it. Being a sophmore in college working 60 hour weeks during the summer, I put a Bushnell Sportsman 3*9 on it as that was all I could afford.

That rifle could shoot a group at 100 yds that I could cover with a dime.
I haven't owned anything that comes that close since.

I traded it for a S&W 586 .357 Magnum a couple of years later.
STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!!!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

You are always hearing about Buyers Remorse, And very little about
Sellers or traders Remorse, Not too sure which is worse but i would say in my case it seems like the latter is true. I'm sure if one of my legs was turned around i would still be kicking where i sit.......Joe.......

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Graybeard said:
Only a couple hundred times or so. Ah to be able to call back some of those bad moves.
On no, we have found something else we agree on. :eek: :-D Too many times to recall and many a time I day dream about having them all back. :cry: Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I can only remember two rifles that I sold. Neither was worth keeping in my opinion. I have traded two other rifles for other things, like a pick-up and an aluminum deer cart. One of those I regret, but the one I traded for the cart was a good deal.

Now, if someone wants to ask about some of the used rifles and shotguns
I bought at really good prices, I can give you an earful.

·
Registered
319 Posts
On an earlier post on this same thread I complained about selling off an old Savage 99 in .308Win. Because of that experienbce I'm now reluctant to part with a rifle, any rifle! As a result of this reluctance I have several old miltary rifles that should have been consigned to the scrap heap years ago, but I still have them to no ones benefit. An old German M98 I have goes a long way to explain how Germany could lose 2 world wars, but I'll carry on with it because of my own silliness. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ahhh,... my ol' model 94 Winchester .30/30 at the time I thought I'd not miss it but you know how that story ended up. :roll: :(

Then again there was my Belgian Browning Gold auto 12 ga. sure miss that puppy too! :( :(

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I picked up a well worn older Marlin Mod 25 from a pawn shop. As a winter project I completely restored it by striping and refinishing the stock (Walnut) and metal. I recieved many compliments on the outcome. Even the Mrs. was impressed. A couple months later, I sold it to another pawn shop for a bit more than I paid for it to help fund my Handi Rifle habit. The pawn shop owner said he was going to keep it for himself. Sometimes, I think about going back to make him an offer for it. It was really a nice little gun.

Wish I had a nickel for every stupid thing I've done in my life. I suspect I would be quite wealthy.

EVOC ONE

1 - 20 of 40 Posts