Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...o-chip-shortage-some-bags-selling-for-14.html

So Japan has a shortage of pertater chips and some bags are selling for $14 each. If potato chips were in short supply around here, I simply wouldn't care and wouldn't miss them even if I did want to buy some.

Shortages of staples like rice, potatoes, and onions I can understand getting upset about, but not junk food.

Tell me, are you panic stricken or feeling threatened by a the specter of a potato chip shortage?

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
When times are 'good' people buy drink, chips, junk food, etc., when times are 'bad' people buy drink, chips, junk food......I should have invested in those things rather than the blue 'chips' I did.........
No, I wouldnt miss them calling my name.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I'm still trying to find "salt free" potato chips. I know, what's the point but you actually get used to them. I think there really is a shortage of them.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I remember being quite upset when the store next to my office stopped selling HOHOs. I was grief stricken for days.

CR

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm still trying to find "salt free" potato chips. I know, what's the point but you actually get used to them. I think there really is a shortage of them.
When I make chips, I either "no salt" them or very lightly salt them. Making them myself, allows me to make them EXACTLY the way I like them.

ONE average sized potato will make a whole bag of chips...

DM

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Potato chips are one of those things that I have occasionally, and when I do, I want "the real thing", not some reconstituted paste. I want full fat, full flavor, and best texture. I remember Lays as being a good brand. Ruffles were really good. Maybe they still are. I don't know if they make that anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
When I make chips, I either "no salt" them or very lightly salt them.

Depending on how they look, I will buy white or red potatoes and cut them across the largest side. I don't cut chips but about 1/4 to 3/8" thick rounds and season them with Mrs. Dash Original and a pinch of salt substitute (potassium chloride) and bake them. I like them better then chips.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ones I like the best are "kettle cooked" chips. Very crispy, and there is a good maker around here. Miss Vickeys, I think is the brand name (don't be fooled by the name, PepsiCo owns it.)

That and good old fashioned ruffles potato chips if dip is involved (and if they still make ruffles). I used to love lipton onion soup +sour cream dip with chopped canned clams added to make "clam dip". Yum. I wonder if I'd still like that. It was very popular at parties for quite a long time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There are still ruffles on the store shelves, so I suppose they must be making them.
We like the kettle chips also. Don't eat them a lot, so if there was a shortage, it would be an inconvenience. We'd either live without, or make our own.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
You might but I haven't been able to. If a potato chip has no salt I'll just do without and I eat very little salt. To be truthful I eat very few potato chips or french fries either. That doesn't mean I don't like them but keeping my weight down keeps my blood sugar level in check.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
So tater chips are $14 a bag in Japan, how much do they sell for regularly in Tokyo? ..Bet they are not THAT much different from the regular price..
As far as dips for chips..I often just take out some dressing..Ranch, Mustard & Honey, Blue cheese or Thousand Islands..
Mix Mayo, ketchup and yellow mustard together for a Thousand islands like flair..add sweet pickle relish or whatever you wish.

·
Registered
16,180 Posts
like your resolution of the age old where's the dip problem,
Ranch sure goes well with stuff.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
like your resolution of the age old where's the dip problem,
Ranch sure goes well with stuff.
Back in the days when I could eat all I wanted of anything I wanted and it didn't affect my gross total weight one bit I dipped potato chips in mayonaise. This was long before salsa and corn chips came on the scene in my part of the world.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More proof that The Lord works in mysterious ways, and probably has a weird sense of humor too: I went to subway for lunch today and they had old fashioned Ruffles. The kind with cheese flavor. I haven't seen those in years at a subway.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...o-chip-shortage-some-bags-selling-for-14.html

So Japan has a shortage of pertater chips and some bags are selling for $14 each. If potato chips were in short supply around here, I simply wouldn't care and wouldn't miss them even if I did want to buy some.

Shortages of staples like rice, potatoes, and onions I can understand getting upset about, but not junk food.

Tell me, are you panic stricken or feeling threatened by a the specter of a potato chip shortage?

So how do you feel about shortages of beer and ammunition?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You live in New Mexico and there was a time before they had salsa?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts