Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Excalibur crossbow yesterday and also picked up a pack of the Boltcutter, 150gr BAT Broadheads.

Does anybody have any experience with this head? There were only 5 reviews on the Cabelas site. They were all positive, but that isn't much of a sample. A friend's uncle had a bad experience (No Blood trail; long run), but hat is also just one instance, an even smaller sample.

Is the Rage 125gr crossbow head a better killer?

Any tips for on broadhead selection are welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Don't own a crossbow, so take this for what it's worth. I usually just buy whatever name brand broadhead that is on sale. Last time I bought Thunderheads because I got them practically free.
The main complaints that I've had on any broadheads is that some really large diameter ones can get knocked off target just a bit more with a decent gust of wind.
If I was worried about cutting ability, I might try a cut on contact broadhead, which I might do next time around.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I have an older Excalibur. Have had good luck with 125 GR thunderheads and 100 GR. Muzzys. Bucks I?ve taken have gone an average of less than 100 yards. I?m 68 now and don?t want tough tracking jobs from deer jumping string . Switched out to 1.5? , 125 grain Grim Reaper mechanicals. No O ring they just flip back. They are extremely quiet. Buck I happily took last Thursday never flinched till hit and died in full stride 38 paces with both lungs nearly cut in half.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Took an 8 point in Ohio a few weeks ago with my Excalibur Phoenix shooting Excalibur bolts with the 150gr Boltcutter broad heads. Hit him high at 20 yards, the bolt broke his back then angled down and took out the top of both lungs. He dropped on the spot and was dead by the time I climbed down, recocked and reloaded and walk down to him. Awesome terminal performance!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use them and like their performance on deer and hogs. Very similar to Muzzy brand of broadheads.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use slick trick broadheads which are just like the bolt cutter. I have only killed one deer with my Ibex, button buck, he only ran about 30 yds. great blood trail, both lungs deflated. I would use the bolt cutter if I couldn't find any slick tricks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts