Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a lot of commonalities in the Dose your wife like to shoot is that your best girl will go but she doesn't care for it much or she's apprehensive about shooting. I think it's more about their comfort level and I don't just mean the recoil & noise.
For most of us put on a t- shirt give us a gun and something to shoot at. I'm under the assumption it's much more for them. I did this for Mrs Singleshot.
1) TOOK her to get thermals & flannel shirts to shoot in. Comfortably fitting for movement. They are ALWAYS cold.
2) Ear protection for HER. At the gun show there's this guy that makes the silicone ear buds to fit your ear. I took a gamble if she would even find them comfortable, she did. Tip...hit that booth first, get fitted then walk the show and pick them up when you leave. Another tip when picking the color made the right ear red. R...Right...Red. Then her own headphones. She sometimes uses with the earbuds when someone close is shooting off a magnum.
3) Eye protection. Let her pick out her own. Don't have her use your old scratched ones. Try places like Granger on line. A lot more lady's in the industrial work force. My wife loves her Carhart jacket.
4) THE GUN. Don't expect her lady hand to rap around your fat a*s 1911 shooting +P loads. She has to be comfortable with holding it, the recoil and the loudness, plane & simple. If your lucky enough to be near a range that rents spend the time & money and make that trip about her. If at this point you put a smile on her face and she's lucky enough to have her own take it to the next step like change the grip to something more comfortable or send out for cericoat.

The whole thing here is what's comfortable for you may not be for her.
If there are lady's here, please help us Neanderthals.

Now for the experiment part if you dare. Have your other read this thread and have her reply.
MOST IMPORTANTLY IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT THEY POST....SO WHAT! This subject is not even close to be worth having a disagreement. It's her opinion and she is entitled to it.
If you are the wife please start your reply with Lady __ here.
All this coming from someone that's been together since teenagers and in their late 50s.
Let's see where this goes.

· Premium Member
11,415 Posts
One of our local ranges occasionally has a range day for women only, no men allowed. They get to shoot a variety of guns without the pressure of their spouse telling them what's right or wrong. There is a small fee for ammo; but, they can shoot whatever they want for however long they want.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of our local ranges occasionally has a range day for women only, no men allowed. They get to shoot a variety of guns without the pressure of their spouse telling them what's right or wrong. There is a small fee for ammo; but, they can shoot whatever they want for however long they want.
Have seen that too. There's a range out in Morongo Valley that has that on their site. We forget what works for us don't necessarily work for them. I'm by no means saying you should always go shooting with our others but when empty nester are looking for something to do together, shooting gets my vote over bingo any day.

· Registered
4,465 Posts
Have seen that too. There's a range out in Morongo Valley that has that on their site. We forget what works for us don't necessarily work for them. I'm by no means saying you should always go shooting with our others but when empty nester are looking for something to do together, shooting gets my vote over bingo any day.
So, other men are working with YOUR wife. I’m sure there are a lot of guys willing to do just that...

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, other men are working with YOUR wife. I’m sure there are a lot of guys willing to do just that...
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm secure enough in our relationship and totally trust her. More than likely it would be a range that I'm familiar with and if I trusted them with her safety, sure why not.

· Premium Member
11,415 Posts
It takes special instructors to teach 10-15 women at a time when everybody has questions as well. Personally, I would prefer teaching kids that are excited to learn to shoot than women that are apprehensive and afraid of guns.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It takes special instructors to teach 10-15 women at a time when everybody has questions as well. Personally, I would prefer teaching kids that are excited to learn to shoot than women that are apprehensive and afraid of guns.
Agree. It's just an option that someone can take. I did the kid teaching and my wife. With her the main hurdle was keeping her warm and her ears. Kids are grown and now I'm teaching the grandchildren.
I feel that we strengthen or 2A rights by including our family.

· Registered
3 Posts
Lady here —- personally, I love shooting, love guns and hunting, but I grew up hunting rabbits and squirrels, graduated to deer as I got older. Now that said, I hardly consider myself “normal “ as I am also ex-military. I even volunteered to go to Kuwait as a civilian to help out. See, not “normal “. LOL

I’ve never understood why some women are so reluctant to try new things, when I retired I sold my property in Oregon, bought a 38 foot motor home and with tow dolly for my 93 Cutlass Supreme vert took off. I can’t believe how many times I would pull into a RV park, get out to set up and people would ask where my husband was? Course I just had to reply, “sorry, had to get rid of him, the dog was allergic.” The number of times a lady would declare that she couldn’t drive their rig just astounded me. What would she do if something happened to her partner?

I agree totally with letting them pick out their own gear but I will go one better, get someone else to teach them how to shoot. Just like when you tried to teach your kids to drive having someone who is not related can be a very good thing. You want to help them, they want to please you, that’s too much pressure for you both.

just my two cents worth.
Kaye

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^1000%. You remind me of my older sister. She's never been afraid of anything she felt like doing. From guns, although she did not hunt my brother in law did, she would go target shooting with him when he wanted to get some trigger time in just before hunting season. They were also owner operator driving team, and she personally logged over a million miles. My point is wemon are more than capable of shooting firearms. Erks me when my wife says she "CAN'T" do something. There's a big difference between can't & don't want too. Luckily for me this doesn't pertain to shooting. Lady's If your afraid, face your fear and beat it. I think a lot of you would be happier for it & your other half probably would be too. Excuse me while I step down off my soap box.

· Registered
433 Posts
Have a friend who brought his two daughters over to my shooting range. They had the basics from dear old dad but they were at a point that it was always "whatever". Taught them point shooting with their finger first, then with a pistol. Both are now on different police forces in North Carolina and from dad's reports, they can out shoot both of us. To me, the key to success is to go slow, listen and offer suggestions, not direction. Any teenager that can run a full mag in my 45 acp Colt Compact with factory 240gr bullets is good to go.

· Registered
4,465 Posts
My experience is different. Every kid or woman Ive worked with can shoot bullseyes including my niece, nephew, my kids, it’s older men, even just past 20 that “know what they’re doing” and can’t hit a 4x4 cardboard box at 10 yards yet the teenage son of both my bil and his friend I had shooting bulls, my nephew took a button buck at 10 years old at 60 yds? With me in a dead fall as cover on public land. Taught my wife to shoot and she shoots well and loves her sp101 in 357 mag. My dad a 0311 Marine taught me how to shoot and I followed in his footsteps and also one of uncle sams misguided children. YMMV...

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience is different. Every kid or woman Ive worked with can shoot bullseyes including my niece, nephew, my kids, it’s older men, even just past 20 that “know what they’re doing” and can’t hit a 4x4 cardboard box at 10 yards yet the teenage son of both my bil and his friend I had shooting bulls, my nephew took a button buck at 10 years old at 60 yds? With me in a dead fall as cover on public land. Taught my wife to shoot and she shoots well and loves her sp101 in 357 mag. My dad a 0311 Marine taught me how to shoot and I followed in his footsteps and also one of uncle sams misguided children. YMMV...
Mule 11, sounds like you have had good luck with both genders of all age ranges. What is your opinion with the guys that have had zero luck when it comes to having their wife's shot with them. I'm starting to wonder if there's any merit too my opening post or are these guys just s.o.l. when it comes to their wives soothing with them.
I do think there's a very positive aspect for the 2A fight when there's more wemon shooting.

· Registered
4,465 Posts
Mule 11, sounds like you have had good luck with both genders of all age ranges. What is your opinion with the guys that have had zero luck when it comes to having their wife's shot with them. I'm starting to wonder if there's any merit too my opening post or are these guys just s.o.l. when it comes to their wives soothing with them.
I do think there's a very positive aspect for the 2A fight when there's more wemon shooting.
In that case either your option of getting another to instruct them makes sense. Also almost everyone likes to shoot a 22 and if you can get them to do that you may kindle an interest, it also helps to start them young as they seem to be more interested and willing to learn unless they spend every free moment playing video games.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In that case either your option of getting another to instruct them makes sense. Also almost everyone likes to shoot a 22 and if you can get them to do that you may kindle an interest, it also helps to start them young as they seem to be more interested and willing to learn unless they spend every free moment playing video games.
👍 That and get them to stop fingering their phone all day.

· Registered
814 Posts
Another problem is too many kids and women have had a bad experience in the past with firearms. Some fool they knew handed them a gun that was too powerful and too big, thinking it would be funny, It's not! They set a bad phobia in those kids and women. You will recognize it when you see it, they jerk the trigger and turn their head away. Now you have a real chore on your hands.

In training a person, fit is very important. I bought my children Daisy BB guns with plastic stocks as a starter gun. With my eldest, I realized the plastic stock was way too long. I went to the shed and made an oak stock for it. He was much more comfortable and shot better. My point is, don't hand a rifle with a long grip and LOP to a short person, they won't shoot it well and if there is recoil they won't manage it well. Make the tool fit the person.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another problem is too many kids and women have had a bad experience in the past with firearms. Some fool they knew handed them a gun that was too powerful and too big, thinking it would be funny, It's not! They set a bad phobia in those kids and women. You will recognize it when you see it, they jerk the trigger and turn their head away. Now you have a real chore on your hands.

In training a person, fit is very important. I bought my children Daisy BB guns with plastic stocks as a starter gun. With my eldest, I realized the plastic stock was way too long. I went to the shed and made an oak stock for it. He was much more comfortable and shot better. My point is, don't hand a rifle with a long grip and LOP to a short person, they won't shoot it well and if there is recoil they won't manage it well. Make the tool fit the person.
BINGO, that's what I was trying to convey in my op and your last sentence sums it up perfectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts