Graybeard Outdoors banner

Extractor or ejector...

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Plainsman 
#1 ·
Which be the most reliable......

#2 ·
Extractors are more dependable.

Ejectors are more fun, when they work.

I've had some ejectors that worked perfectly. Some not.

Finding replacement parts for either seems difficult. Take it easy on them. Don't be careless trying to open or close with too much force. No aftermarket suppliers yet.

I'm thinking of milling an angled slot in the breech face to allow extraction with a screwdriver tip from the side. It may be the ultimate solution for weak ejectors.

#3 ·
What Dave said, never had a problem with any extractor (except as noted below), the only complaint about them is they aren't ejectors for those that like ejectors! The only valid complaint I've seen on extractors is sometimes the spring pushes the extractor too hard against the side of the brass which scratches the brass, easily fixed by straightening the spring arch a bit so there's less pressure. The only extractor failure I've experience is too much bullet lube on a 500 S&W round that caused the live round to be stuck in the chamber when I tried to unload it, it extracted part way, had to fully remove it with pliers, an ejector wouldn't have move it enough to get pliers on it due to being just spring powered, there's no mechanical leverage like an extractor has.

Using Fred's manual extraction notch shown on his website (in the FAQs) is a good failsafe for stuck brass, I put one on my 35 Remington (357 Maxi to 35 Rem) to use until I converted it to an extractor.

Tim

#4 ·
Shooting off the bench I will take an extractor every time, have had some issues (mostly with non h&r single shots) where ejectors were unable to function if the chambers weren’t as perfectly clean as I probably should keep the,. And much easier to save brass, and less sweeping for rimfire rounds if I forget to catch the case.

In the field it’s marginally faster to reload with an ejector, but the odds of me getting a second shot off before whatever I am shooting at wings away is pretty low still. And since I am anal about picking up spent hulls in the field it’s more of a pain to find afterwards,

#5 ·
i prefer an ejector, having said that, i believe the vintage ejector is much better/stronger. i have no science to prove that, just my own experience. both my toopers will eject into the next county, my ultra ejects but not with that much authority. only my max extracts, never a problem other than its a pain with gloves on while hunting. and yes, multiple deer within a minute with all the above. we have a lot of deer and liberal bag limits.

#6 ·
IMO, ejectors work best with rimmed cartridges and non-rimmed cartridges aren’t a good choice for break actions. When a non-rimmed cartridge is chambered an ejector is practically “required.” The cartridge has a chance of slipping over the extractor rather than being caught by it on chambering.

All mine are set up according to that thought and the only one Ive ever had a problem with was an .243 with an extractor. Had it had an ejector, I believe the issue would have been worse.

Ive actually passed on some good NEF/H&R deals because they were non-rimmed cartridge chamberings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.