Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
Ejectors are more popular, there's no doubt about that, given two identical barrels in any given chambering, posted in the Classifieds, the ejector will sell first and possibly for a tad bit more money.

An ejector can be modifiied to be a spring extractor, but extractors can't be modifiied to eject, at least not without some serious machine work.

Tim

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I don't and won't own any extractors. Great news, just got off the phone with Jennifer at H&R. They were able to repair my .223 Ultra with ejector. I'm happy it stayed ejector, otherwise I would have sold it. You just can't find them anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
sourdough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIGHT ON
still can't understand why they can't offer both.
different stocks, barrels,sights or no sights ONE EXTRACTOR BUT WE HAVE BEAT THIS HORSE AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I for one love my extractors.
I was happy to get rid of ejector when I traded barrels.
My extractor is smoother, quieter, and it always extracts.

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
The reason for extractors is simple, COST. It's not only less expensive to build with less parts and no fitting, but less expensive to maintain since no one should have extraction complaints, which was a BIG problem for the vast majority of owners that didn't know how to avoid FTEs. Marlin isn't interested in a Custom Shop, so forget the option of ejectors or extractors, just be glad ejectors are still available on shotguns and rimfires, for now anyway. :D That's not to mention the liability issues ejectors present. ::)

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I like both..As a hand loader...having an extractor is wonderful...and as a hunter having a working ejector on a hunting rifle is nice to some times...Up where Rog is at...I can see the need for a fast reload...but..down here...where you don't has his worries..it isn't that big a deal...Like I said...I own both(at least for right now.. ;) ) and use both..

Mac

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
ok you guys have beaten me in to submission, guess i will have to except the extractor,
on new barrels.
but i will hunt through garbage cans and trash dumps and garage sales looking for ejectors

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I agree with rex6666!!!! I'm looking at gun shows and small dealers for guns with ejectors. That's why the T/Cs stay home and the Handi's go hunting. Wish they made ejectors for my T/C .338WM.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I will beat this dead horse on the ground, on the way to the glue factory, where ever.

Extractors are too difficult for 2nd shot in woods.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funny about different strokes for different folks... The ejector is the ONLY reason i only have 4 barrels for my NEF. As a matter of fact i might be interested in trading straight across for anyone with ejectors.... I won't post the trade info here but will do so on the classifieds right after this post... Yeah I know about converting the ejector but it is still a spring deal and not often but if i get a stuck case i would much prefer a solid extractor...

Second shot in the field??? Come on now these are Handis, ya don't need a second shot! LOL

Oh, I about forgot... I do luv the ejectors though! They are great for rimfires... Never had a rimfire stick a cases and when shooting at my range i would much prefer the case flying over my shoulder... One day my son and I shot up 500 rounds of 22 LR ammo and boy was my finger sore after picking em all out of my contender!

You asked my opinion and there it is but we all know what they are like...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate to ask but, whats the difference between an ejector and an extractor. My gun removes the shell slowly but its spring loaded, is it an ejector? ???

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
A properly operating ejector will throw the case over your shoulder, and extractor just lifts the case about ¼". You can see the different types in the FAQs.

Tim

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
On my Buffalo Classic, I got real tired in a hurry of chasing my brass in the bushes behind my shooting bench! So I changed that to a spring extractor. When I got my 30-30, I was glad it had an ejector. It is a hunting gun and most of it's use will be in the woods while the Buffalo Classic sees much more use at the bench. There is a place for both. 44 Man

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
i have no problem with fast fallow up shots with my extractors and i would rather have my shell come out everytime and i have to pull it out then it not come out at all .

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
If extractors were as big a problem as some people would like others to believe, there certainly wouldn't be any happy TC owners, ALL Encores and most Contenders are extractors!! ::)

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well in this case I love my extractor. I mean who needs shells flying out when its one shot one kill. Plus I reload so I don't want to search for my shells. It has never failed me. :)

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Quick: Like I said the T/Cs stay home and the Handi's go hunting. The only T/C I have that sees any action is the TCR with the .338 barrel. The Encore has not been in the field more than two or three times. The Contender only as an emergency gun in the plane in pistol form with the .45/410 barrel.

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
That's just you tho Rog, how many tens of thousands of TC owners are out there that don't have a problem with em!! ;)

Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey SD you and I are almost opposites... Fully respect your thoughts on this however while my Hand's stay at home I hunt with my Contenders a lot and the 7-30 Waters has taken more deer than almost any other riffle/handgun I use... The TCR is the finest of em all though (IMHO)....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts