Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay it is time we get some folks to post their FA's Favorites. Here is mine, a 475 Linebaugh and my 45 Colt with Express Sights and custom Indian Stag handles by Eagle Grips.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well SJ, I'm awfully jealous of that pretty hogleg but in about 6 weeks I'll have a new one of my own to show.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking forward to seeing it when it arrives. Okay guys lets see some others. Scott, I know you have a few nice examples to show off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SJ, as I've said before, I like those stags even though I am not usually a stag guy, Question; did you have to send your grip frame for fitting or did they fit OK or maybe you did some final fitting.
The reason I ask is when I get my FA in about 4 weeks, I'm not likely to send it off again for a long while. I bought a pair of those for a Colt SA once and they came slightly over size but some careful work with sand paper made them perfect.
Marsh

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am fortunate in that Raj, the owner of Eagle Grips is a neighbor of mine and I was able to drop off my FA one afternoon and he returned it the next evening for me. He not only had them perfectly fit to my grip frame but also had them slimmed to fit my smaller hands. It is truly phenomenal how they improved the control for follow up shots and how much it tamed the recoil to have them fit to my hands. He had aquired a small amount of genuine Indian Sambar Stag and was able to pick out some nice peices for this project. Stag is no longer available from India as it is illegal to export now. I do believe Raj has a number of nice peices left. If I were you I would be the same way in not wanting to let go of my FA for any length of time right after I received it new. Perhaps a month or two down the road you will be more inclined to let it go for a few days to have a nice set of custom grips fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are indeed lucky to have Raj as a neighbor. With a name like Raj, you would think he would have an in with someone in India.
I may be mistaken, but it seems like Dustin Linebaugh makes grips out of some pretty exotic stuff, yes?
Does anyone know if this is true and how to contact him if it is? I've even heard of someone, maybe him, making grips out of 10,000 year old wooly mamoth. That woiuld be cool.
I'm spending about $2,400 for my 83 so it seems that, although I'm not rich, I should spend some more on really special grips.
I'd love to see more pictures of FA's. Especially with different grips, but stock would be OK too.
Marsh

·
Registered
189 Posts
This (4" round butt) is still my favorite - was banging away this weekend at 125 yard steel, and toting it around on the four wheeler filling up deer feeders.  It is handy ... quick ... and very accurate!

As for Dustin Linebaugh - take my word for it, he does top-shelf grip work.

www.dustinlinebaugh.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well done scott.
I talked to Dustin Linbaugh today and got a quote of $750.00 and 3 month wait. I think thats way over the top so I quess it will be wearing Micarta for awhile.
Mayhaps I'll be visiting Eagle Grips again.
Marsh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Top one is a 83 .454 with grips by Scott Kolar. They are stabilized maple

The bottom is a 97 44 special.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the round butt 44. The stabilized maple is pretty sharp as well. My next FA is going to be a 3 1/2 inch round butt 45 Colt. As for grips, I will probably get a set of Buffalo Horns grips made for it. After that I think I "need" a Model 97 22 with a 22 Mag cylinder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My next one will be a .475 with a 5.5" barrel...But I do like the 4.75".   ;D... I just got the 44 so it may be a ltiile bit

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hey Scott, you've got yourself a first rate BEAR GUN there! You'd best be gitt'n your butt off to Alaska and find'n a big ole' brownie that needs shot! ;D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here are a few from my collection:

6" Premier .454 With Black Micarta and Extra Cylinder in .45ACP

5.5" Model 97 in .357

4.75" .454 With Fixed Sights

One of the F.A. Mini Revolvers with Buckle

Another F.A. Mini .22 With 1 5/8" Barrel

F.A. Boot Pistol in .22 LR with 3" Barrel

Premier Grade 7.5' .454 with Freedom Arms Scope mount

Premier .475 Linebaugh with 4.75" barrel and Black Micarta

Premier Grade .475 Linebaugh with 6" Octagon Barrel, Black Micarta and express sights

Premier .454 with 10" barrel and F.A. scope mount(Needs a trailer to carry around ;D)

500 Wyoming Express with 6" Octagon Barrel, Black Micarta and extra cylinder in .50 AE

I have several more but if the barrel lengths and grips are the same they pretty much look the same so no reason to post more pictures  ;)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well Five Shooter, its obvious you're one of those guys who subscribes to the notion ya just can't have ENOUGH Freedom Arms revolvers!! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dusty,
          ;D I would buy even more (and will when the oppertunity arrises) but my wife seems to always have something "More Important" to spend any spare money on ???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fiveshooter, Awesome collection! The minimalist 4.75 inch 454 with fixed sights appeals most to me. Question: Did Freedom need to adjust windage on that one for you?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts