Graybeard Outdoors banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Freedom Arms got with Shiloh Sharps and built a few of these in 1991. There goal was 100, but I believe they ended up making around 23 sets. This one is FA/SH-D45 Freedom serial number, and SH/FA-D45 Shiloh. My thought is this was one of the last ones, as it missing a few things. Should have a brass plaque that has the Shiloh and Freedom coat of arms, the grips on the Freedom are also ever green grips like they put on the Wyoming Centennial in 1989. So I am in the process of seeing if Shiloh can match the wood for a set of grips, and I will also get a plaque made for it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, it was a Shiloh/FA deal.
When you call Shiloh, ask for Kirk or Lucinda.
PLZ keep us posted.
The rifle is also in .454 Casull.
These sets were made in 1991.
IIRC, there was 25 of these sets.
LG

·
Registered
97 Posts
My favorite carry gun when I know a big bear is around. Last 2 elk seasons, he was! 400 to 500 lb black, rare for this area.

20191107_142535_1577227020901.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Harold...that is QUITE the load....

·
Registered
97 Posts
41 magnum
Thats incredible work Harold! Thanks for load range to start working on too, from my end someday. Have been thinking hard about a new 41 in m83, this enabling is certainly sealing the deal for me:)

Did not know the 'fluted' cylinder was an option and think its perfect in that profile, and just goes so well with the 'great' 41 especially. Fabulous caliber....

·
Registered
161 Posts
squint...whose shoulder holster is that... I have been looking for a comfortable one...

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
THAT is a BEAUTIFUL set....the wood on those Sharps rifles is nothing less than astounding.... How long is the barrel?

Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was able to get a few things accomplished on my Freedom/Shiloh set.
Got the plaque done, and added some red felt to the interior.
The next major thing is getting the grips completed.
That is an amazing set, did not know they existed. Incredible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
squint...whose shoulder holster is that... I have been looking for a comfortable one...

Bob
Bob:

I don't know much about that particular leather holster, just that it works well, especially if I 'sometimes' don't want to wear on hip for various reasons. Had to fabricate a shorter snap/strap to better secure 4.75 inch FA in this one. My guns have primarily been used for hunting or ranch work, being my usual approach.

For hip, I have a great FA leather holster (to use with or without scope - split at top for scope mount) plus another 'old west' hip style holster made especially for short barrel FA, that I found in a remote leather goods shop while on contract in Montana during early 2000's.

If looking closely at picture, there is an emblem stamped on shoulder holster. Have never looked it up or researched it.

My brother found it for me decades ago somewhere in Texas, while working as a Texas Peace Officer. He knew I had been looking for that type of verticle shoulder style 'but in leather' to replace same style 'in nylon' made by Uncle Mikes, I had worn throughout 80s. Both are comfortable but leather is more so.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Bob
Bob:

I don't know much about that particular leather holster, just that it works well, especially if I 'sometimes' don't want to wear on hip for various reasons. Had to fabricate a shorter snap/strap to better secure 4.75 inch FA in this one. My guns have primarily been used for hunting or ranch work, being my usual approach.

For hip, I have a great FA leather holster (to use with or without scope - split at top for scope mount) plus another 'old west' hip style holster made especially for short barrel FA, that I found in a remote leather goods shop while on contract in Montana during early 2000's.

If looking closely at picture, there is an emblem stamped on shoulder holster. Have never looked it up or researched it.

My brother found it for me decades ago somewhere in Texas, while working as a Texas Peace Officer. He knew I had been looking for that type of verticle shoulder style 'but in leather' to replace same style 'in nylon' made by Uncle Mikes, I had worn throughout 80s. Both are comfortable but leather is more so.
These are fairly rare also. Only around thirty five of these where made from 1986-1992.
Had a chance to look into shoulder holster asked about. Think the company is different now, but emblem looks like something from a desert eagle. Perhaps the old magnum research.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Squint....

Found this last month for a price I could not walk away from...picked it up off lay-a-way Thursday...Happy New YEAR!!

83 Premier
6" barrel
.41 Magnum
In 2014 went back to the factory for:
Round Butt
Recessed Crown
3# Action Job
Box and all paperwork

I am thinking about sending it back to FA to have the barrel cut to 4.75" as I already have a 6"...

Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks awesome Bob. Thanks for posting, its good to see an actual image of this configuration as have been looking to order exact profile in m83. I like it! Do not have 6 inch yet.

Have 7.5, 4.75 and 3inch. If primarily bench shooting, would strongly consider a 10 inch as well but still want to be able to hunt shooting off-hand (if needed) though shooting rest is much preferred.

Really like the inverted crown alot(one of mine has that dished out muzzle and looks good), also would like to have 1 octagon bbl someday (it may balance well in hand) but have always liked round ones a great deal.

squint

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dealer mailed the gun today to FA to have the barrel shortened....hate to loose the inverted crown but can't see the extra money for it..my other 6" has it and that's enough...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Picked up this 10" mod 97 in .357 a while ago. It's my only octagon barrel FA. Ron Power did a trigger job, jeweling and added the sling.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer mailed the gun today to FA to have the barrel shortened....hate to loose the inverted crown but can't see the extra money for it..my other 6" has it and that's enough...
That’s the first FA I’ve seen with an inverted crown, interesting. Should look sweet with the shortened barrel, be sure to post pics!

181 - 200 of 226 Posts