Graybeard Outdoors banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Will do...

Would have liked to have also upgraded the grips to black Micarta...but at $250 had to pass...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Apuesto....that is QUITE the Model 97....one of a kind for sure...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Apuesto....that is QUITE the Model 97....one of a kind for sure...
Sure is! Beautiful. Glad to see that 10 inch black profile too, as very interested. Would bet recoil is very nice for bench shooting etc.

On grips, have winewood, black, bone & walnut and like them all. So, for something different, seriously considering Evergreen. John at FA said that there was much more grey throughout evergreen panels, lots of grey & black amongst Evergreen sounds appealing to me. I may or may not be okay with just a tiny amount of tan or brown with the Evergreen panels, but thats just me.

Haver never been into treebark or mossyoak patterns or that type of look on my guns unless really needed it for a purpose.

BTW, just asked my FFL to put in a call to FA for a potential new order. Hoping to make it happen soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is an old comfortable sidekick, 'weathered' bone or stag grips been collecting sweat and grease stains over decades. FA went over revolver for me about 10 yrs ago plus they refinished the metal too, a few adjustments etc.

Many old memories, plus some not that long ago. Dad and I had been cutting thorny mesquite & cedar breaks for rancher's livestock, which did this quite a bit during summer weekends in between college semesters and when not installing irrigation systems, but in later years too, both getting away from our engineering work etc. It was also wood gathering time for home woodstove fireplace and the rancher's old 1910's hunting cabin we used, with original 'German settler' stone chimney that he grew up in.

Was stepping over stumps and threading my way through woodpiles and debris (with chain saw in my left hand), heading over to the next thicket we wanted to clear. I remember it was right around high noon(was very hungry/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif, harsh bright sun beating down ... sweat pouring profusely from the morning's hot and humid work, could barely see with the salt stinging my eyes plus covered in sawdust. Air was thick and heavy, a gorgeous day but did have to watch out for pesky hornets and South American fire ants plus the invading African killer bees.

Was about to step over a log and caught a glimpse of something moving. Could not hear very well with ear plugs in, anyway this Tejas hill country rattle snake was not happy with all the early hours commotion. Probably thought he'd found a suitable hiding place to get away from it all. Kinda like us. Lol.

Its mouth was already open - could clearly see its fangs, I stepped back a ways and pulled the 45 .... did have time to aim.

I often think the snake struck at the bullet coming for its head, though it was a pretty accurate load (with the old Herco powder/Speer light jacketed hollow points). Perhaps he did strike the bullet at just the proper angle because right before my eyes, the snake completely flew to pieces. Remember feeling around my clothing and hair making sure he wasn't all over me, or worse, looking all over in case I had missed. We did eventually find a few pieces of him, laying around.

Anyway, this FA 454 is my working around the camp, or 45 Ranch hand. Have learned not to think that our beautiful, highly refined revolvers are 'just' eye candy though they certainly are appealing. Remember, they can always be touched up, fed and brushed after hard days of work - kinda like our 4 legged friends and furry workmates.

Although, I do keep a couple of FA's pristine like I would fine rifles(yet tested, proven with a periodic shake-out), ready for that rare hunting trophy or defense against that possible big bear (while fishing) or even a disturbed wild hog (with or without tusks).

2019-12-11 18_1579285469636.54.55.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
..some nice irons guys...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here is the round butt that was cut down to 4.75" along with the 6"...

...a great shooter as they all are...

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Goes along well with the pair of 97s....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great comparison. Am also interested in working on a few 97 calibers, incl. 41.

One in a fixed sight model - always liked the idea of 44spl round butt, a classic combo for sure.

Happy Easter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A fixed sight 4.25" .44 Special round butt 97 would be a cool "little" gun... Most of the fixed sight 97s I see are 5.5" barrels for some reason...maybe because the 4.25" are so cool no one sells them...

For whatever reason FA doesn't do a fixed sight 97 in .41....guess one could ask...

·
Registered
97 Posts
A fixed sight 4.25" .44 Special round butt 97 would be a cool "little" gun... Most of the fixed sight 97s I see are 5.5" barrels for some reason...maybe because the 4.25" are so cool no one sells them...

For whatever reason FA doesn't do a fixed sight 97 in .41....guess one could ask...
On to something there! Fixed sight 4.25 inch 97 'round butt' in 44spl does sound really cool. Same with 41, 357 ... really, all the lighter bullet calibers plus 45 colt with 'not too heavy' bullet loads.

Generally, 41 sure seems to be a natural when it comes to accuracy, at least in my limited 41 experience. I would definetly be interested in 'fixed sight' model 97s in that caliber or any of above. But the 41 with a 210g bullet, that sounds awesome.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In looking at the RB 97 and 83 last night...I was wondering why FA decided to go with a 5 shot cylinder instead a 6 shot in the .41 Model 83...even with a 6 shot cylinder in .44 Magnum one would not likely break something with +P+ Magnum loads...

·
Registered
523 Posts
An old Model 353, now with a ZPW Custom 10" octagonal barrel.
Has anybody ever done a study as to how much pressure … and by definition... how much velocity is lost because of the small gap between the cylinder and the barrel? I don't know obama about revolvers, but it would seem to me there would be losses because the pressure vessel has a hole in it between the mouth of the case and the muzzle. Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Freedom Arms Collectors Association 25th Anniversary

I resented acquired this pair of FACA Freedom Arms 25th Anniversary guns.
I was told that this pair were the only two that have ever been made.
They have special barrel markings denoting Freedom Arms 25th anniversary, Freedom Arms Freedom Wyoming single line barrel marking, and 454 Casull caliber. No markings off any kind on the frame like the very first preproduction revolver.
They also have special serial numbers D FACA151A and D FACA151B.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got the grips back from Chad Robinett, he does awesome work, and is the most reasonable priced as well. I sent him the wood, and he charged me 88.00 for completing the grips. That included shipping the frame and grips back to me.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 226 Posts