Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting read about hacked routers. Not sure if I have an issue or not but easy enough to reboot my router. I need to check my firmware as well and make sure it is up-to-date.

Hard to keep up with all the things like this going on these days!
I have a Love-Hate relationship with computers.....:tango_face_plain:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/technology/router-fbi-reboot-malware.html

·
22,249 Posts
Ive had this computer for 5 years now without any paid virus protection and it runs just fine. I don't open questionalble emails and don't go to questionable sites.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Scareware story. another "buy better protection" story. someone is selling. Is anyone buying?
Not so. A router reboot costs nothing, nobody is selling anything, so...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ive had this computer for 5 years now without any paid virus protection and it runs just fine. I don't open questionalble emails and don't go to questionable sites.
None of which will help if your router has been compromised. IF it has, hacker groups can use your router to send attacks against other sites and make it look like it came from you, and can intercept anything you do on any computer or device you use that is connected by wire or WiFi.

Rebooting a router is a 30-second process that can make sure you are not affected, so why not?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not so. A router reboot costs nothing, nobody is selling anything, so...

Thanks for the support JS!
Yeah, I'm not selling anything here folks just passing on some FREE info.
Just rebooted my routers to get rid of any nasty Russian malware that may or may not be lurking inside waiting to mess with me....... :tango_face_plain:
You need to stay vigilante these days as somebody somewhere is ALWAYS up to something on the internet.

Apparently my Bank up here in Canada was recently hacked or something(?) and some peoples info was taken which is a serious concern to me. I don't think I was affected at all but still changed my password and some of my security settings none the less as I don't need that aggravation.

Crazy world we live in these days.
Have a great weekend folks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
While you are at it, make sure remote administration is disabled, and change the password. Remember, they got in once, if you don't stop them, they can get in again.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Could this be a scam the FBI puts out to try to authenticate their trump-russian collusion /Mueller investigation process?I don't have a lot of confidence in them anymore.Politics above all seems like

1 - 8 of 8 Posts