Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I switched back this week to Verizon Wireless after a miserable year with Tmobile.
When I got home what do I see, but a brand new app for Facebook. My wife lives on the dam site.
So I think? Why not give it A THIRD TRY, and I open me a new account.
Quickly 30 something old acquaintances pop up, and growing requests for more.
What I see is a bunch of "fake friends", liking, and sharing cute, or political BS over, and over, and over.
What's worse, I caught myself doing the same dam thang.

Every day. Same crap, baby pics of grand kids, great grand kids, macho poses of dumbasses, pouty lip selfies of teenagers girls, and adult women.
I know there is no such thing, but GOOD GRIEF!
Is this how folks wile away the hours of their lives?
I'd rather watch paint peel, or rod tips bend.

Friendship without effort, or commitment.

Well, needless to say, third times a charm. I won't be "Facebookin" no mo. I deleted my short lived account in a trade for "awareness of my surroundings", and a actual visuals of folks I pretend to be interested in.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Never had an account and don't intend to have one. I stay connected to friends that matter either in person, or by phone with the ones who live further away. Once in a while by email. Yeah, it's old fashioned, but works for me!

They should change the name to Fakebook!

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
I agree with everything said about Facebook. I had an account also. Didn't take long to deactivate it. A bunch of fakes.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Yes I had a Facebook account for a total of one day. It's full of B.S. for sure,but the wife is on it every day.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I drop into FB now and then because some of the family is on it, and I want to keep up with current events. ...But I don't stay long anymore..for the very reasons Dee has already cited !

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
People seem to get friends mixed up with acquaintances. Understanding those differences makes pruning face book easier.

Face book brings out the “brand” people want to be, not who they are necessarily. I also find that the person you know might not have the same relationship with most other people. My kids are perfect examples. The friend who is my customer is quite different at home many times. I see a serious hard nosed businessman, his wife and grandkids know a completely different man. Is he fake? We talk about hunting and politics his Facebook account would lead me to believe he lives and dies Packer green, and spends all his free time fishing for salmon out on Lake Michigan and has no interest in politics at all, fake?

Facebook is for selling your brand as much as anything else. How many Nike ads show some dad mowing the grass in old stained shoes? Certainly more pairs live there lives with a bit of dog crap on them than live on a ball court.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Fake book seems like a natural for women; it never interested me at all. However, it does sometimes serve a purpose when it comes to some incidents. A few days ago, we had a power outage. That sort of thing doesn't happen here very often. Even when it does happen, it is usually very brief, but this one went on for hours. When the power came back on, my wife was able to find out what was the cause on Facebook.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Yes I had a Facebook account for a total of one day. It's full of B.S. for sure,but the wife is on it every day.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
This post is exactly how I would have worded a response.:tango_face_smile:

·
24,482 Posts
Women seem to like it more than men do. I only use it to keep up with my old Navy buddies. While they are still alive :(
It seems like I'm losing someone a lot more now at this age.

·
Registered
570 Posts
"Don't want any, don't need any, don't know what I'd do with if I had it". Quote from some old movie (can't remember which), but it's the way I feel about FB.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I was on it once when it was new... It took a while to get completely off, as there is some small print that you have to find to totally delete it. I found it and never went back.

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I told the younger guys at work today that I had zeroed my Facebook acct.
Some didn't get it.
The whole scheme is about personal information gathering.

·
Administrator
1,794 Posts
I told the younger guys at work today that I had zeroed my Facebook acct.
Some didn't get it.
The whole scheme is about personal information gathering.
Not sure about the "whole scheme" but that is for sure part of it. Also companies pay big bucks to be social influence'rs, they control the narrative and show you what they want you to see all the while making you think you chose it.

I understand you older folks not wanting to use it, most of you are probably from the "Silent Generation". Many Boomers also are not fond of it even though without them it would not exist. Gen X fought it because they liked Myspace better, but a dam Millennial just had to go and create it anyway. It is now an information collection point for most any and everyone that wants to know your habits, who you know, where you go, how long you stay there, it listens in on your phone to see what you are talking about so that it can serve you ads based on that the next time you are on it. It scans every picture you upload to it to tweak it's facial recognition software algorithms. It offers you a platform to video and or voice chat all the while spying on said chats to see if it can sell you anything.

Now after having said that, I use it everyday. I use it to see what the folks that I cant see everyday in person are up to. I use it to see what is trending and why, I use it to make money everyday and I use it to talk to my kids when they are not with me. To me it is but one more tool in the tool box, although it is a strange tool in the sense that every time you use it, it cuts you or bites you some way.

Social Media in and of itself is a real issue, on one hand it brings us into communication with one another but at the same time those who use it to much tend to isolate themselves from those who they can talk to face to face.

Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, I did that foolishness for a couple years. I agree with all the negative comments above about it. I went cold turkey on that mess a couple years ago. In fact, it was right after the big Las Vegas shooting, with the "bump stock" mess. The FB arguments and anti-gun political stuff which came up from all that was the final straw for me. I deleted everything from my account, and I've never been back. If a real friend wants to contact me about something, they can. At the same time, I also went pretty much cold turkey on watching any "news", too. Just sick of hearing about it, don't care, too busy with real life.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
I am one of those baby boomers that as said used to use it but since moved on. My opinion of one using it is that some actually want to keep up with past friends. But I find most on there like all social media is to flaunt their self's in one way or another. To me it's like a giant tv soap opera playing out. And a lot of times includes my relatives and past friends that have to show themselves one way or another. After a life of loudmouthed people you just kind of get tired of it.

·
22,260 Posts
im with spruce. Never had one never will. Don't even have a smart phone. If you want to talk to me call me on my land line. Numbers in the phone book (isn't that novel)
Never had an account and don't intend to have one. I stay connected to friends that matter either in person, or by phone with the ones who live further away. Once in a while by email. Yeah, it's old fashioned, but works for me!

They should change the name to Fakebook!

·
24,482 Posts
I'm amazed at how many friends some of those people have. Hundreds of them, people they don't even know? I have six and that's it. And my page is private and so is there's. So not just anyone can see it, and we don't talk to strangers.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
I've never had my own Facebook account and never will. That being said I have to admit that I created a fake account back when I was doing online dating. I used to use it to scan the Facebook pages of potential dates. It was a handy tool in determining if those potential dates were crazy, drama queens, phonies, etc. You can tell a lot about a woman just by reading their Facebook page so for that I was thankful for it. Other than that I have no use for it. I have no desire to portray a fake version of myself to the world like most Facebook users do.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts