Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nice bird Tony. Its just that are so few of us from the peoples republic of mass. Went for pheasants on sat and deer yesterday and didnt see a thing either day. I have probally asked before where in the state are you. With a bird like that im going to guess out west

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're correct, North Berkshires. I live in North Adams, but I hunt all over the Berkshires and southern VT. This bird was from New Ashford. I was bow hunting. but it started to rain really hard. I always keep a shotgun in the truck for days like today. If I get bored deer hunting I know a few turkey hangouts I can try. So far I hunted all day yesterday, and a couple of hours this morning and only saw two deer yesterday. No deer today. I checked out a corn field I know and saw three big toms. So, I put the sneak on them and with the rain I was able to get pretty close.
Tony212

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I'm in NH, I definitely want to get back into bow hunting next year for that reason. Our fall bow turkey season is 3 months long but shotgun is only 5 days long in the fall. Next weekend is youth deer weekend so I'll be out with my 12 year old son and his 300 Blackout Handi.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never was really big on bow hunting, I always preferred to pheasant hunt in October and November. Then 5 years ago I had to put my dog to sleep. It was losing my best friend. I don't really want to do that again so, I started bow hunting. No luck with that yet. But I have been getting turkeys.
Good luck to you and your son. Its always special when a young person gets a deer. I hope he gets a big one and you post a picture here.
Tony212

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I sold my bow years ago when I got divorced but I did enjoy it, I never connected on a deer either but I did manage to miss a nice 8 pointer one time. I will definitely post a picture if he connects. He managed to get this goose when we had our youth waterfowl weekend, he was a happy camper.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, tell him "good job" for me. I love seeing kids hunting. Keeps them out of trouble.
Tony212

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Will do, I love seeing kids hunt too. He's a good kid, between Boy Scouts and hunting he stays out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ya i get the kids just waiting for my boys to get bigger, 20 months now. My 17 year old daughter changes her mind every other day if she want to hunt or not. As for the bow i pickeed it back up a couple of years ago after 25 years or so off. When my wife and i got married she had a bow and wanted me to go hunting with her. So she bought me a bow and off we went. How can you say no to that. Have got 1 yeach of the last 2 years. We normally spend saturdays bird hunting. We have a 3 year old llewelln setter that is fiinally coming into her own and a 3 month old male. Will try to get him out this year a time or two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Can't say no to a woman that wants to hunt, they are gifts from God. Now if I could just find one of those myself :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No i cant complain, but who would listen if i did. It was her idea to start with the bird dogs, she got tired of just walking in the woods with guns, so we get so many more birds than before

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
When the time is right I plan on getting a bird dog for that same reason. I love to partridge hunt but it's rare that I ever connect. Most of the time it's hiking with a shotgun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts