Burdette- Alabama
Graham- Tennessee, Alabama
Lonergan- Alabama
Murrah- North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama
Witt- Alabama

·
Registered
723 Posts
We may Have a couple of common lines in Hicks and Faulkner. I'm also interested in Cooley. Did your Cooleys by any chance migrate through Arkansas to Texas? Do you use Family Tree Maker?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt Hamp Cox,

Yes, I use Family Tree Maker.
My Faulkner Line:
Thomas Faulkner and Margaret Underhill
David Faulkner and Judith Burkett
Nicholas Faulconer and Sybilla Newton
David Faulconer and Mary Nightingale Byrom
Nicholas Faulkner and Martha Greenhill
Nicholas Faulkner and Nancy Ann Allen
Mary Jackson Faulkner and Isaiah Abernathy

My distant cousin Allen Atkinson has a web site that has our Faulkner family on it. His ancestor Martha Greenhill Faulkner is the sister of my ancestor Mary Jackson Faulkner. I posted his web site so you could check it out.

http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/a/t/k/Allen-D-Atkinson/index.html

This is all I have on Bill's Hicks line:
Martha Ann Hicks born July 18, 1834 in Georgia- died January 08, 1927 in Calhoun County, Alabama Married William Fincher on July 20, 1854 in Paulding County, Georgia.
I do know that Martha Ann Hicks parents were William Hicks and Nancy A. Forsyth. They were both born in Georgia and died in Calhoun County, Alabama. I was told that her siblings were: Maze, James, John, Jane, William, Evelyn, Martin, Alexandria, and Permelia but I haven't checked this out yet.

The only thing I know about my Cooley line is my great-great-grandmother Susan Cooley was born 1815 in Tennessee and died before 1870 probably in Georgia. She was not on the 1870 Clay County, Alabama census with Greenberry. She married Greenberry Shaddix on December 11, 1835 in Coweta County, Georgia. I haven't been able to find out any thing about her parents or siblings.

It doesn't look like I was much help on the Hicks and Cooley.

·
Registered
723 Posts
We have a match with Thomas Faulkner through your first Nicholas Faulkner/Faulconer. From there I go:

Nicholas Faulconer II - Frances Mosley
Samuel Faulconer - Elizabeth Newman
Newman Faulconer - Maria Newman
Sarah Frances Faulconer - who married my gg-grandfather, Dr. James Odiorne (father of James G. Odiorne).

I have the book

"Thomas Faulconer"
"Descendants, and Related Tidewater Virginia Families"
by James G. Faulconer and Tommy L. West

If you haven't seen it, I'd be happy to share what info it has on your Faulconers.

Can't find a Hicks link (Mine start out Hix and evolve into Hicks), or a Cooley link.

Thanks for the Atkinson link.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt Hamp Cox,

You are welcome about the web site. I haven't seen the book and I would love to have the information. I never dreamed that I would find a cousin when I asked Bill(Graybeard) to set this forum up for me.

Mary Jackson Faulkner and Isaiah Abernathy(my 3rd great-grandparents)
Susan Abernathy and John Tidwell( my great-great-grandparents)
Franklin Isaiah Tidwell and Mattie Virginia Garrett(my great-grandparents)
Ada Clementine Tidwell and Major McRay Warren( my grandparents)
Edna Louise Warren and James Robert Fields(my parents)
Sandra Faye Fields(me)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt Hamp Cox,

Do you happen to have any stories about our ancestor Thomas Faulkner? Allen doesn't have when he came to Virginia and I was wondering if the book has that information.
Thanks for your help.
Faye

·
Registered
723 Posts
The book has him arriving in Jamestown, on the ship, "Mary Providence", in 1622. His passage was sponsored by Robert Salford who had arrived in 1611.

From John Hotten's Original Lists of Emigrants, page 250:

Thomas Faulkner, aged 28, in the Mary Providence, 1622.

I actually have two books, first is only 12 pages, and second is nearly 200. If you will email me your snail mail address, I'll send you a copy of the 12 pager (has Faulconer coat of arms), and I'll glean info pertaining to your guys from the 200 pager and send that as I get it copied.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Correction to previous post. Got in too much of a hurry to respond.

He actually landed at Elizabeth City, Commonwealth of Virginia, later to become Virginia City County. This county is now a part of the city of Hampton.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Capt Hamp Cox,

Went back throught some notes and found these Cooley that I had written down to check for a connection to Susan Cooley. I had forgot about them until this morning.

Coweta County, Georgia Marriages

James Cooley married Mary Allen on November 23, 1845
John H. Cooley married Temperance Hughs on June 7, 1834
William Cooley married Martha Ann Lambert on September 8, 1844
Philip Cooley married Nancy Duke on April 16, 1835

Susan Cooley married Green B. Shaddox(Shaddix) on December 11, 1835(my line)
Louise Cooley married Nimrod Argo on September 1, 1859

H C Cooley married Henrietta ONeal on October 4, 1886
H C Cooley married Mary Jane Smith on March 11, 1872
J W A Cooley married Sarah Manly on September 4, 1879

Found these Cooley on the 1840 Coweta County, Georgia Census and was wondering if they could be related to Susan.
I know that John Cooley, Sr. lived in District 2 PO Moreland the same place that Susan(Cooley) and Greenberry Shaddix did. I think that the others were there also.

Each one of these men were head of their household

John Cooley, Sr - 50 to 60, female- 50 to 60 and a female 20 to 30

James Cooley - 40 to 50, female -20 to 30, 3 boys under 10 and 2 girls under 10

John Cooley - 20 to 30, femal -20 to 30, 1 boy under 5 and 1 girl under 5

Philip Y Cooley - 20 to 30, female 20 to 30, 2 boys under 5 and 1 girl under 5.

Faye

·
Registered
723 Posts
Faye,

I appreciate the effort, but I don't see any that appear directly connected to the Cooleys I am researching (they aren't in my family line, but I am researching them for a historical project I am involved with). All I have is:

James Cooley m. Elizabeth Goode @ Stokes Co. North Carolina
b 1772 b c. 1777
d 1821 d c. 1840

Mathias Cooley m. Martha?
b 1818 (KY) b c. 1814-1816 (KY)
d 1870

Their children:

Mary (MO)
Plesant "
John "
Thomas "
Frank "
Scott "
Sephrona "
Calvin "
Pollie TX

This second family evidently spent some time in AR and ended up in Jack Co.,TX.

It's no big deal, but if you should run across any Cooleys that look like they might fit, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capt Hamp Cox,

Thanks for the information and if I happen to come across them I will let you know.

Faye

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hamp,

Thank you and I will be on the look out for it. I am so glad that you became apart of Graybeard Outdoors because I would have never known that I had a cousin in Johnson City, Texas.

Faye

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hamp,

No, way I would hold it against you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some of the families I'm working on

I don't have any of the families Faye's working on, but some of Butler's lines came out of North Carolina into Tennessee before moving up into Kentucky - namely:
Nobles
Floyd
Record
Tillman
Time period would be from about 1800 on. The earliest Nobles I have (for sure) is Richard H., son of George, in Lenoir Co., NC.
My lines are all up north, coming from French Canada into New York State and Norway into Wisconsin.
Deb

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cooleys of Stokes county NCmilies that I am working on.

James Cooley was the son of John Cooley of Stokes county, probably died in Casey counry KY c1811. I have lots of info at http://www.ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/index.html but virtually nothing on Mathias. Would like to hear from you about him. I'm descnded from James's brother Edward. Much about of these Cooley is known.)

-Michael

Capt said:
Faye,

I appreciate the effort, but I don't see any that appear directly connected to the Cooleys I am researching (they aren't in my family line, but I am researching them for a historical project I am involved with). All I have is:

James Cooley m. Elizabeth Goode @ Stokes Co. North Carolina
b 1772 b c. 1777
d 1821 d c. 1840

Mathias Cooley m. Martha?
b 1818 (KY) b c. 1814-1816 (KY)
d 1870

Their children:

Mary (MO)
Plesant "
John "
Thomas "
Frank "
Scott "
Sephrona "
Calvin "
Pollie TX

This second family evidently spent some time in AR and ended up in Jack Co.,TX.

It's no big deal, but if you should run across any Cooleys that look like they might fit, please let me know.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mrs said:
This is all I have on Bill's Hicks line:
Martha Ann Hicks born July 18, 1834 in Georgia- died January 08, 1927 in Calhoun County, Alabama Married William Fincher on July 20, 1854 in Paulding County, Georgia.
I do know that Martha Ann Hicks parents were William Hicks and Nancy A. Forsyth. They were both born in Georgia and died in Calhoun County, Alabama. I was told that her siblings were: Maze, James, John, Jane, William, Evelyn, Martin, Alexandria, and Permelia but I haven't checked this out yet.
I noticed your Paulding County, GA line and I have ancestors that settled there but migrated on to Jefferson County, AL. Here's a tad of info about Paulding County, GA that I had and thought you might see a name or two with ties to your search. I will highlight my ancestors in this info below.

In 1850 Paulding ministers included Barabbas Pace, a Primitive Baptist who had served as moderator of the TaUapoosa Missionary Baptist Association when it was founded in 1834 and for several years thereafter. Other Baptist preachers were Jesse M. Wood, Walton Barry, William M. Wilson, Robert T. Speight, James 1. Harris, and James Roberts[/color]. Among the Methodist clergymen was Hosia Camp.
A leading physician was Edward H. Richardson. Others included Joie S. Flannigan, Archibald Terhune, Martin G. Williams, William H. C. Prior, Hiram Roberts, Martin Roberts[/color] and Stephen A. Borders. A 79-year-old widow, Nancy Jones, listed her occupation as midwife. Several other early settlers were listed in Roberts' History of Paulding County[/color]. They include William Allgood, who arrived in 1833, Michael Austin (1836), Raffey Bone (1845), James T. Carter, Thomas Clay, James Foote, the founder of the Foote Hotel in Dallas (1853), Archibald Holland (1836), Greene W. Howell (1846), Henry Lester, Andrew McBrayer (1831), John W. Moon (I 837), George A. Owen, a miner and farmer, and S. W. Ragsdale (about 1832).
Additional names of early settlers are Burrell M. Camp (1849), John Moon, J. Wisner, S. Denton, Benjamin Abney, Nathan Bartlett, Linsey Elsbery, William Kenedy, Elijah Forsyth, C. C. Bowman, Hiram Whitworth, Edward Hagin and Hartwell Lee.
Hubert Holland relates that his ancestors, Archibald and Elizabeth Hagin Holland, arrived on Raccoon Creek in 1836, before there were any churches, schools, or stores in the region. the tract of land they had bought was supposed to be unoccupied, but an Indian family was still living there. The Hollands allowed the Indians to stay and became good friends with them, until the United States government rounded up all Indians in 1837-1838 and removed them to Oldahoma. An Indian ban field was not far away, and the Hollands were some- times entertained by watching the Native American ban games. The lack of civilized institutions in the 1830's made life difficult and discouraging for families such as the Hollands, but through the efforts of many individuals great progress had been made by 1861. The frontier stage had been completed, and the people were becoming more prosperous. This forward course was soon to be disrupted, however, as Paulding County residents, along with all other Americans, found themselves embroiled in a great Civil War

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Would these be the Lohrs from Somerset Pa - near Johnstown? I have Johan George and down to Clara Jane, who was my great-grandmother. Other families are Nagel, Kocher, Yoder and Edmiston. Thought I'd ask before filling it all in.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is what I have on the Lohr line:

Anna Gertraud Lohr born about 1701 in Germany and died after 1775 in York County, PA
Married Johann Philipp Wintermeyer on Nov 28, 1720 in Germany.

Anna Gertraud Lohr was the daughter of Johann Nichol Lohr.

As you can see I have very little on this line.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts