Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm done with chick fil a. Been there three times and two times the food was no good and expensive to boot. Dried out chicken and marginally stale bread just doesn't work for me. These were three different places in different cities. I will say that they do have an enlightened notion of what a "packet of ketchup" should be.

Wendys is not an option either. After not going there for a long time, I went again and the old Wendy's "Where's the beef?" ad came to mind. Now the bread is like a massive block of Styrofoam with a shaving of meat that gets lost in in all the bread.

Places I do go back to and have zero complaints about are KFC, Hardees and Burger King (for cheeseburgers and fries only).

Just did a road trip and was interested to see BK now charges $2.19 plus tax for a "small" soft drink.

Went to Panera too, and liked it as usual. I noticed they're starting to use the kiosks that will replace their cashiers. I go there for the meals, but the ice coffee is really excellent.

I think the quality of fast food at any given moment follows a lunar cycle. Sometimes it's good wherever you go, and other times it's bad in most places.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
I will agree with you about Wendy's, I was never real fond of them but their burger used to be at least hot and juicy; well, I tried one last week and the dry cold bun plus what ever sauce they used to use apparently being changed has pretty much made me decide that that is the last Wendy's burger for me.

Their frosty though is still better than chocolate shakes at many other fast foods.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob R.

I liked the Frosty too, but the last one I had (which was the previous time I went to Wendys a few years ago) was more like a milk shake than the good ol frosty I used to know. I used to like the frosty because it was basically chocolate flavored soft-serve ice cream-like substance.

That time, not only was the frosty a disappointment, but the chili had changed a lot too. It used to be pretty good years ago but that time it was basically low-grade canned dog food mixed with water and a few kidney beans. If not canned dog food, at least all soy filler and no meat. It was a real turn-off.

On the lighter side of the news, the Dairy Queen Blizzard has been improved so that they now have a "mini" option, which is smaller than the "small" size. It's a small but satisfying amount of sweetness. I tried their "banana split" flavored blizzard and liked it a lot. It's basically slightly chocolate flavored soft serve with canned pineapple, thawed frozen strawberries, and fresh banana in it. Pretty yummy. I don't know what the other food at DQ is like. The pictures are scary looking. I figure if the promotional pictures look bad, the actual product must look REALLLY bad.

I had KFC a couple of times. I really like the one piece breast meal in their grilled style. I ask for it without the biscuit. There must be a baked bean war going on at KFC because in the South, the store had baked beans in a new style, with the chicken version of pulled pork mixed in with the beans as a new product. The place in the North said baked beans are discontinued.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
but the chili had changed a lot too. It used to be pretty good years ago but that time it was basically low-grade canned dog food mixed with water and a few kidney beans. If not canned dog food, at least all soy filler and no meat. It was a real turn-off.
OHHH NO! tell me it isn't so! Their chili( the only thing I like besides the frosty) was always good for me. Not in a true chili sort of way but in a good hot dish on a cold rainy day kinda thing.

I haven't ever been a chicken fan but when I have eaten at chik filet the nuggets are good with the Polynesian sauce.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oldshooter,

Maybe we need a separate forum to keep abreast of what's good and what isn't at the fast food restaurants. I don't go to fast food often enough to have a statistical knowledge of it. I just report on it on those coupla-times-a-year road trips when I buy fast food instead of taking my own food with me.

With a sample size of one, don't trust my review on the Wendy's chili. Maybe I just got a bad batch. I too have been a long time fan of the chili, the frosty, and the baked potato offerings at Wendys. Maybe I'll give the chili another chance, but I'll have to be in a mood where I'm willing to taste it and walk away.

The time I went to Chick Fil A and liked it, it was really good. It was the grilled chicken sandwich. One of the times I didn't like it, it was the same grilled sandwich, but the bread and meat weren't as good. The other time I didn't like it, it was more a matter of taste than anything else. They had a chicken salad sandwich, and I didn't care for the recipe, but the quality was good. Chick Fil A obviously does a lot of things right. I tend to eat in the places at non peak times, and that is one restaurant that is busy even at odd times, like three in the afternoon.

The big question I'm not up to date on is whether Blue Bell ice cream is back in business and doing well and selling ice cream again.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
whether Blue Bell ice cream is back in business and doing well and selling ice cream again.
Not much locally! I hear you can buy it off the truck at scalping prices. no personal knowledge of that though.

However, I'm still a little P"Od at them for letting us down and killing some folks. I did buy some Dreyers rocky road slow churned the other day and frankly its as good. I will not pay scalping prices for BB. Not sure they can be trusted. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Given the number of college graduates working in fast food joints, ALL their food should be of gourmet quality! Well, they should at least be able to make change.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Wendy's does not make chile. It's some kind of soup full of beans. Real chile does not contain beans---so there. They do, or did have, a good baked potato but I haven't been in a Wendy's in years. it's just not on my fast food radar and hasn't been in long time although there is one about 24 miles from me.

I hardly ever eat at chick fil a. Closest one is over a hundred miles away in Texas. Wife had an annual doctor's checkup over there a couple of weeks ago and we did chick fil a as it was handy. It was OK but nothing to make me really want to go back.

What has really upset me is Rosa's Cafe and Tortilla Factory. Nearest one was about 120 miles from me but the wife has three doctor's appointments a year in that town and we always wound up there for lunch. Joy, joy, joy. They built one in the next town south of me, about 22 miles away, this summer. Couldn't fight your way in the door for about a month. I nearly always ordered their enchalidas with chile, real chile, when we went there. Loved those things and they dropped them. #5 is gone. They still have enchalidas only with red sauce and they are good. Just not as good as the ones with chile. In cold weather I'll get their chile verde stew now and then. It's really good stuff too.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Stillkickin said:
Given the number of college graduates working in fast food joints, ALL their food should be of gourmet quality! Well, they should at least be able to make change.
You're speaking of the sad casualties of our so-called "education" system. No doubt they were persuaded to take basket weaving courses such as Philosophy, Culture Of The Pygmies of Interior Africa, Culture Of The Illegal Immigrants (********), etc. -- all designed to make the institution look "well rounded" rather than turning out productive graduates.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Conan said:
Places I do go back to and have zero complaints about are KFC, Hardees and Burger King (for cheeseburgers and fries only).

I hope you're not serious! KFC and Jiffy Lube are all one in the same. They both offer all grades from 5W20 to 90 weight. :eek:

Then again, just calling what most of the places mentioned offer as food is laughable. ;D

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
oldandslow said:
Wendy's does not make chili. It's some kind of soup full of beans. Real chili does not contain beans---so there.

^ ^ ^ DING-DING-DING ! ! ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^ WE HAVE A WINNER ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^ :D :D :D

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
oldandslow said:
Wendy's does not make chile. It's some kind of soup full of beans. Real chile does not contain beans---so there.

Does real chili have beans?

There isn't an authoritative answer, or rather there are two conflicting authoritative answers, depending on where you think chili came from. Chili has two origins - well, chili comes from Texas, but before that:

[list type=decimal]
[li]Central And South America - the Aztecs, Incas, and Mayans all ate a mixture of beans, meat, peppers and spices. That's chili. Their descendants brought it into Texas.[/li]
[li]The Canary Islands - Berber colonists from the islands to San Antonio brought traditions of cooking meats with chili peppers, cilantro, and cumin. That's chili, too.[/li]
[/list]
There's a saying in Texas - "if you know beans about chili, it's that there's no beans in chili." There's a common thought that chili with beans is a Yankee thing. Texas chili does not have beans.

Except, when it does. Texas chili is chili con carne - peppers with meat. But, just as popular is chili con carne y frijoles - peppers with meat and beans. You will find both to be common - with one binding rule - the purpose of a chili tasting is to judge the meat and gravy, so beans are forbidden in competitive chili.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Bob said:
. . .There isn't an authoritative answer

sure there is ! just skip down a paragraph or two. . .

Bob said:
. . . . . . "if you know beans about chili, it's that there's no beans in chili." . . . . .
. . . the purpose of a chili tasting is to judge the meat and gravy, so beans are forbidden in competitive chili.
down to ^ ^ ^ right here ^ ^ ^ ;)

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Just a clarification.....Wendy's calls it chili, don't make it so.......prolly not much chili powder in it! However it remains a good hot product on a cold rainy day on the road. I know real chili when I see it. If'n you go arguing about beans to a minimum wage bimbo in Wendy's you may get more than beans in your "chili" ::)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Oldshooter said:
Just a clarification.....Wendy's calls it chili, don't make it so.......

yessir :D i unnerstan. just like their "hamburgers" , or what they call hamburgers

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
All I can say is you guys eat some Nasty food
Haven't had any protein from any of the above in many many moons
I do however eat at Steak&Shake it's edible and the shakes and alike are
Very Good
I also think you guys are off in saying "they Changed"
Wendy,Mc'd's,BuggerKing,Chickfilet, haven't changed.Your taste buds have improved.
They would never change a winning product,remember that burger, or fry put them on
the map,Noway they would change the basics,in would be a death sentence.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Tommyt even you are one up on me. Can't cut steak n shake either. Besides, they have all disappeared around here. Once I got off the road, I no longer had to try to survive on junk food. My system changed to the point that so-called fast food now earns it's name. If I put it in, it quickly comes right back up. For my travels nowadays I have a 12V fridge/freezer in my jeep and a good camp stove. If I could come up with a 12V microwave I'd be set. ;)

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Bob said:
oldandslow said:
Wendy's does not make chile. It's some kind of soup full of beans. Real chile does not contain beans---so there.

Does real chili have beans?

There isn't an authoritative answer, or rather there are two conflicting authoritative answers, depending on where you think chili came from. Chili has two origins - well, chili comes from Texas, but before that:
I'm only interested in what it tastes like while I'm eating it. Don't care what the Incas or Aztecs or any other tribe used to cook up for dinner, just the here and now and in this neck of the bushes and weeds it's spelled chile, not chili. You can define it's history and spell it however you want but it makes no difference to me. Taste is what counts and it doesn't taste right with a bunch of beans in it. Enjoy your soup or stew and I'll eat real, modern day, chile. ;D

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh brother! another chili rant. The professionals who cook for a living use a definition of chili that describes it as containing beans regionally. That's the same definition that everyone except Texans who want to make a spectacle of themselves and get on some bs pedantic holier than thou rant that accomplishes nothing and is easily challenged into oblivion by a simple observation of the culinary customs of North America. The International Chili Society recognizes this too. They're the major chili cookoff organization of record and their cook-offs usually have payouts of $25,000 or more to the winner. They have different categories of chili, some required to not have beans and others required to have beans.

For supper last night, I had chili made with white beans and chicken. Delish! Take that, lone star breath!

About the other fast food, no amount of improvement or degradation in my taste buds could compensate for the vile nature of some of the fast food changes I've experienced lately. I clearly recall that Wendy's chili had real meat in it, with most of it being what appeared to be chopped up hamburger patties that they would otherwise use for their sandwiches. What I had last time I bought their chili in no way resembled that. In fact, there weren't even many beans in it. It was basically just some watery ripoff. The old chili was a substantial meal and quite good.

I make the distinction between junk food and fast food. Junk food is stuff like doritos and other packaged edible food-like substance, and fast food is engineered for uniformity across a large area of distribution, and usually contains junk food as a component. Panera, for example, is fast food, but I don't consider it junk food at all. Chipotle is getting that kind of reputation too. I think chick fil a is making changes to their ingredients to get a bunch of the chemicals out and make the basic foods more wholesome. Hopefully this is signals a broader trend in the industry.

Here's the ICS history of chili, which takes a thoughtful view of the subject of chili:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/history/history_of_chili.asp

1 - 20 of 43 Posts