Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you rate as your favorite caliber barrel to shoot?
Mine would be a 14" Match Bullberry in 7TCU with 2x Leupold. That barrel will lay 139 gr Hornady on 6" steel @ 250 yards all day from sandbag.

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
I loved my 5mm Remington and the .25-35; but, my all time favorite was the .45/410. I must shot over 3 cases of 410's out of that barrel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been watching for a 45 barrel. I always figured that would be a nice barrel to run some heavy cast loads in. I have a 22 Hornet that is a real good varmint barrel under 100 yards.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For deer hunting it's a 14 inch 7-30 Waters.

For varmints it's a 14 inch MGM 6mm TCU

For paper, plinking and steel targets is a 15 inch MGM 32-20

I have 16 barrels and would love to thin the heard down but I really enjoy shooting them all. Lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 221 Fireball my youngest loves to shoot in the evening to see the reason it's called Fireball. I just got a 7-30 in carbine, may have to find a pistol length.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never seen a 256 win mag barrel. Mine jump from .22 cal to 35 Rem to 45-70. The last two can be fun or abusive depending on how I feed them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
307 IMP, Encore of course

·
Registered
119 Posts
Favorite caliber barrel to shoot?

I have two Contender frames and shoot both on a regular basis.

My 10" in 7 TCU is my current main IHMSA gun and has my best sights (E A Brown ScopeRib III). I like to shoot this one quite a bit with mouse fart loads (70 gr tumble lube cast / 2.4 gr TiteGroup) just to work on my ability to shoot acceptable groups while standing. Powder coated Lee 130s at 1900 fps using WC 844 are at the upper end of what can be called "fun" for shooting.

I have a 7.4" stub tube 32 ACP Rimmed barrel that I made from a piece of scrap 30-30 barrel. Just plain fun to shoot. With a tumble lube 55 gr cast bullet over of 1.7 gr TiteGroup and ignited by a reloaded primer, cost per round is $0.03 or so.

Not currently in my regular rotation, but deserving of mention is my external choke 357 mag hot shot barrel. It has sent lots of ammo down range and it is the least picky barrel I own. If I have a batch of 38s or 357s that did not work out well for some other gun, this one gets called on to put that ammo to use.

I had a 10" bull 357 max that shot great. Bad news was my wrist would hurt after a couple dozen IHMSA loads. The only barrel I have sold off to date. I am retired now, and do not need a gun that has the potential to cripple my right hand.

I also have an external choke 45 colt hot shot barrel. When I was young and foolish, I thought it was "fun" to shoot 250 gr bullets over a full charge of H110. It was like getting my palm slapped by a baseball bat. I ought to get rid of it, but would first need to shoot off some mid range ammo I have loaded. I never seem to get around to this task.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts