Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite meat? I'd have to say beef pot roast. I prefer it to steak. I consider it a real treat. Prep is simple, Just put it in a baking dish that has a lid. Cut several onion halves to roast with it. Sprinkle it with some salt and lots of black peppa. Roast for maybe 2.5 hours for a 3 pound roast at 375 degrees.

What's your favorite meat?

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
A big marbled rib eye! but cooked by me at my house on my grill. Friends always ask "where can I get a good steak", I tell em at my house. Its the only place I have steak.

Pot roast is good, but the best pot roasters I knew are dead now! :'(

·
Registered
731 Posts
I buy round steak, very lean and cheap.. cut it into strips and marinate over night and it turns out so tender you barely chew it. Makes great burritos and i mix it into all kinds of other stuff. Really tasty mixed into some uncle bens wild rice.
I do prefer a nice ribeye, but being on a budget this is a good cheap alternative.

·
2,655 Posts
I like a good, thick, grilled T-Bone. Used to PO the ex-wife when we went out to eat. I always left enough meat on the bone so I could gnaw on it . The best part. She said I had no table manners....:)

Wild meat? I like moose. Was lucky enough to shoot one years ago, so my friends and I had quite the meat supply. Tastes different then venison, but not gamey. Made great steaks, roasts and hamburgs.

Larry

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Tonight my favorite will be brook trout and shrimp. Tomorrow night it will be rib-eye. Sunday it will be a whole baked chicken. That's as far into the future as I know right now! ;D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ground chuck you can do any thing with it. Ground stake,hamburger,chili,meatloaf, taco,hamburger and gravy,manwich its like the enigizer bunny it just keeps on going.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Antelope tenderloin

Elk tenderloin

Beef tenderloin

Pork tenderloin

In that order.

Grilled chicken, walleye, sausage for variety.

Buffalo when available. Shrimp, Squid and Clams for appetizers.

Deer burger for making chili.

Did I forget anything?

I left moose off the list. Ate one, took two years. That was enough for me.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
A good rib-eye is tough to beat, although a find a good beef roast with mashed potatoes a close second.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
whatever kind I am eatin' at the time. it's all good.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just reviewing some of the posts so far trigger some thoughts....

Old shooter, you may want to make it a specialty to do a good pot roast for the next generation now that your influences are gone, May to rest in peace. It's easy to do, and a lot of people today just don't know what it is. I have yet to meet a non vegetarian who doesn't like a good pot roast.

Steak? I do like a New York strip every once in a great while, but we seldom have steak. One year for thanksgiving we did a steak tasting where we had New York strip, porterhouse, t bone, and sirloin. It was much appreciated.

Antelope, Heck yes! My favorite game meat. Never had moose, but want to do a moose hunt with my son before I'm too old.

Salmon! Yum! I do it skin side down in a heavy skillet. Cook it on that side until it's almost done, then flip it for a short time.

No mention of pork ribs. I like spare ribs or baby back as a treat once in a while. I learned to do them in the oven so they are as good as from a grill.

Totally agree about the ground chuck. Versatile beyond belief!

Special mention for jimmy Dean original breakfast sausage. A good commercial product.

Yeah potatoes! Baked, mashed, as gratin, it's all good and goes naturally with red meat.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i'd have to pick the first cut off of
a fresh archery killed deer. the ones
i've had are better than any meat of
any kind i've ever bought or shot.
this is of course, with the proviso
that it was taken proper care of and
properly dressed. i've had some that
should have been coyote bait, it was
that ill-cared for.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree for the fatty cuts. The thing about pork these days is that it's pretty lean compared to the pork of several years ago. Even lean when compared to, say, chicken. Do you know whether this leaner pork is a problem?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.