Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys like to go and on average, how far do you drive to get to it?

My favorite is the Duck River. It's about 50 miles from where I live. The Caney Fork seems to be the most popular in middle TN but I either have no fish days or great days. Nothing but trout. Never caught a smallie or bluegill. The Duck, I always get something, usually a limit of trout and a sore arm from a stringer of bluegills. These are both tailwaters and have stocker trout. Some holdover either place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:-D The Bighorn below the Yellowtail in late November. The Tomorrow River and the Mecan in Wisconsin in summer. The Red and White in Ark. Don't get to fish them much but retirement is only 133 months away.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the Little Wolf here in central WI. It is about 30 miles from home and it is a small freestone river. I catch quite a few brookies and I like the scenery as much as the fishing!
Dennis

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Old Cane,

Where are you at? I live over in Dickson Co, about 30 mins or so from the duck. I wasn't aware that the Duck had trout in it. Imagine that.

Frog

·
Registered
46 Posts
:eek: Hey mr.107ch I have fished the little wolf also. My grandfather grew up in Iola. We lived in Wis Rapids. Also lived in Memphis TN, Fla. California, Washington State and now Wyoming. Fishing isn't too bad here and there a lot less mosquitos and almost as many cheddar heads as Wisconsin. The scenery of the little wolf is one of my fond memories. I wish you good fishing and tight lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Old Cane
When the circumstances get lined out once in a while, I like to sneak up to the Little Red River for an afternoon, or sometimes a day. It's about an hour and a half.
Every so often, I'll take a couple of days and go up to the White and Norfork, about a three hour drive.
These tailwater fisheries are known to have a trout or two, they are very accessible, and the drive and surroundings are nice.
I'm about an hour from Lake Ouachita. Good bass, crappie, etc.
We have good warm, cool, and cold water to fish in, but I like to make a get-a-way run to the Little Red where I don't have friends or relatives, just fishin'. :idea3:
Doc

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a group of frineds that make the sowbug and the conclave every year. I plan on going with them every time but something at work is always scheduled or breaks just as I get ready. I still would like to make it to Mt. Home one of these days. I hear you've got a great thing going in AR.

·
Registered
25 Posts
favorite fly fishing streams

North Fork of the Encampment River, Rock Creek above Arlington WY,
North Spring Creek Wy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:-D
I like the Yellow Dog for brookies in Marquette County Michigan, upper peninsula. I drive over 800 miles to get there, but then there are the in-laws there as well. When I want to go closer to home, I like either the Verdigre Creek or Long Pine Creek, both in Northeastern Nebraska.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
my all time favorite is a little creek you can jump across thta i grew up on in south west wisconsin called halfway creek. i used to be able to catch 10 to 13 inch native brookies all day long with and occasional bigger fish. sadly, a neighboring farmer started renting the land around the stream and practices slurry system manure soil enrichment with no concern to the surrounding enviroment. it took no time flat for that pristine little stream to get choked out. :cry: as far as i am concerned, places like that should be a natural treasure. this little boy spend countless hours chasing those wonderful trout which in turn lead me down the path to my current mindset about conservation and how vital it is.
the water that currently holds my favorite title is the east branch of the eau claire in antigo, wi. not loaded with trout, but beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing (with the occasional trout).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, my favorite is the Little Red River! man I love that place! Now that I live in MT, I've got to find a place to fish for the remainder of the time I am here. Plenty of small mountain streams nearby. As soon as I get home from my TDY, I'll be fishing like a mad man!

HogFan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good trout streams? Wife an I have fished coast to coast. Favorites-- AuSable in MI (also Manistee). Fishing Creek in PA. Lower Bighorn in MT. Goose Creek near Sheridan WY. Retiring to the best of all, the area around Taos, NM. There are no bad trout streams. Trout only live in beautiful places. One more, the Tellico in eastern TN. Tight lines to all.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
i have another stream worth mention. just discovered it a week and a half ago. full of browns. i really had a blast. i havent had that much fun trout fishing in years. hopefully i can find a few more a little closer to home; as i had to drive 1/2 hour to get to this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
white river, san juan, roaring river c&r area......

i live in oklahoma city, drive anywhere from 18 hours to 4 hours. theres a few more i fish that are winter state streams- my favorite has to be the white in n.w arkansas- some real nice fish there- san juan is excellent but such a drive for me. roaring river is a good place to get novice fisherman into fly fishing- they stock regularly and there are some 24 inch plus fish in the catch and realease area.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My favorite is a little spring fed mtn. stream that holds the nicest colored Brookies you ever saw. Its not the easiest to fish, it has a lot of alders, spruce and berry bushes along the edges. Vermonts got a lot of these streams but this one you never know what your gonna see along it, Bear, deer, moose. Just one of those little gems you like going back to. (15 min. from the house). :grin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
15 min

man that would be nice. have you been there lately? whats the best fish youve caught there?>

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Donavan
Its a great little stream and the brookies average 7-9 inches. My cousin caught a 17'' brookie a few years back in there, thats a monster for that stream. My biggest is 11-12''. In most places on the stream you could just about pee across it. In the last few years Atlantic salmon frie have been showing up. They are being reintroduced in the larger streams and rivers. All the brookies are native born in the stream. You can spend 3-4 hrs. fishing and catch and release 30-40 fish. On my way out I'll catch 5-6 for the table. Love those brookies... YUM YUM. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts