Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in your pick for a sub $600 bolt action rifle. I’m mostly interested in .308 or 7mm-08 but open to others. Lots of Savage and Ruger models and a few Mossberg. Let me know what you’d buy and why .
Thanks

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Love my Ruger American 1:10 twist 22-250. Looking hard at one in 7mm/08.

Reactions: jeffsmith13

·
Registered
919 Posts
We have one Ruger American in the family. I picked it up about 5-6yrs ago for the grandkids. I'm not about to bash it, but the 3 Patriots came after the Ruger; one for another grandkid.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Found a couple pics of two of the Patriots. The nice Walnut stocked version was my gift rifle for our 2020 guest. It's a .308 with Burris 4X scope in 1.5-6x44 with illuminated #4 reticle. The laminate one was for me and it's a .300WM (on left next to a Sako Kodiak) and it wears a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 with illumnated reticle.

Brown Furniture Couch Comfort Textile
Brown Furniture Comfort Textile Flooring
Wood Flooring Floor Comfort Wood stain
Furniture Automotive tire Cannon Chair Building
Automotive lighting Drinkware Silver Auto part Gas

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard/ Howa 1500 are very good. Tikka T3 is better yet if you can find one on sale (check Sportsmans Warehouse or Academy Sports) . All the others are ok but have some flaws. The Ruger Americans have a bolt that will not lock closed and is prone to popping open when carried on your back. The Mossberg Patriot actions are very thin on the steel, somewhat flimsy. The Savage Axis may be the best built of the budget rifles and the only ones available in stainless steel. Some think they are ugly because of the barrel nut but this is actually a good thing as it allows easy barrel changes.

If it were me I would look for a stainless Tikka or Savage.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I don’t know if you have any gun stores near you that sell any used guns but I recently bought a Sears model 53 bolt rifle in 30-06 which is a Winchester M 70 with the Sears name on it.
I paid $ 299 for it with a Weaver K 9 scope on it and just sold the scope for $ 90 so used guns are great if you can find one you like.

jedman

·
24,175 Posts
accuracy wise ive had good luck with savage axis, mossberg atrs and ruger americans but if the limit is 600 ill take on right on the top end of that limit. Make mine a weatherby vanguard.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have two T/C Compass rifles, one in 30/06 and one in 5.56. Both are very accurate, and pre plandemic could be bought inexpensively, like under $300.00 on sale.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I have a TC Compass too. Paid $175 after rebate a few years back. In 6.5 CM. Most accurate bolt action rifle I own. Shoots any factory ammo or handloads just the same. Less than a quarter sized group for 5 shots. Wish I would have bought a .223 and 7-08 too. None available now that S&W shut them down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts