Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
522 Posts
i got a slightly used savage 110L, in 30-06, for my 18th birthday.
im over 50 now. it shoots around 1" groups, with any ammo ive tried.
i have put "ALOT" of rounds through this gun. i have harvested lots of deer with it.
it has never once failed to fire, feed, or eject any ammo.
it has classic good looks. they are not expensive guns.
i think the tang safety on a savage, is the best and easiest to use in the field.
i will never part with this gun.
a few of my friends shot mine, and bought newer versions of the same basic gun.
look at a savage!

·
24,175 Posts
savage makes a good gun. Wish there actions were a bit better to look at but then do shoot well and i too am a fan of a tang safety on any gun.

Reactions: 336ER

·
24,175 Posts
i prefer the looks of my older 110 model, to the newer axis models.
i have shot both, they are very similar.
they just work well, and wont break the bank.
actually i was kind of blown away last fall. The local gunshop had a 110 280 ackely improved brand new on the rack and they wanted 750 bucks for it!! Now an axis at 3-400 is a **** of a deal but 750 for a plastic stocked matte blued gun sure isnt a bargain to me. put the price over 600 bucks and im going to buy a 700 sps or a weatherby vanguard.

Reactions: 336ER

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
If you guys are that impressed with a Savage...

You REALLY need to look at a TIKKA!

Better, Action (WAY BETTER!)...

Better Hammer Forged Barrel...

Better Trigger...

The only thing that admittedly might be better with a Savage, is the Stock, and not really convinced on that, but...

Sky Shotgun Air gun Landscape Hat

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I'm looking for a stainlessTikka T3 superlite. That would be my first choice.

I'd say Savage gets the honorable mention as they are available in stainless steel and have a good reputation for accuracy.

Last bolt rifle I bought was in 2019 and that was a Howa 1500 in 6mm CM. It's blued steel, fairly heavy and very accurate. Maybe too heavy for hunting very far away from the truck.

·
24,175 Posts
I'm looking for a stainlessTikka T3 superlite. That would be my first choice.

I'd say Savage gets the honorable mention as they are available in stainless steel and have a good reputation for accuracy.

Last bolt rifle I bought was in 2019 and that was a Howa 1500 in 6mm CM. It's blued steel, fairly heavy and very accurate. Maybe too heavy for hunting very far away from the truck.
howa is the same thing as a weatherby vaguard with just a better stock. I like vanguards because there shooters but i dont care for the monte carlo stock design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
I know this is not what the OP had in mind but thought I would show my Custom 243 TIKKA.

This was built by "Moon" at Cresent Gunsmithing an ex Georgia Precision Smith I hear.

Was a fellows Yote Gun and he had to sale it and I was looking for a LH Tikka at the time.

Was such a good deal I could not pass it up, has a BRUX barrel and a few extras but uses the OEM trigger at 2# and a smooth as butter action.

Notice the receiver is cut with a window like a custom action instead of the half open cut on most American Rifles (stronger!)

I have a Steiner Military 4-16 for it and seems like a good combo but the downside is my Club only has a 200Meter Range.

Would like to take it out to 1K one day!
Air gun Textile Trigger Military camouflage Shotgun
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
522 Posts
for the money, out of the box,, its hard to beat a savage, with the accu stock, and accu trigger. I know u can find a prettier rifle.
but they shoot great, right out of the box, and are dirt cheap. JMHO

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The mossberg with walnut stock looks great online, haven’t seen in person. I’d prefer wood , I have enough plastic.
I got one in 243 justr to see, liked how they loked! Sucker shot well enough I bough a second in 308. Like about everything about it but for two. Don't particularly like the fluter barrel and bolt and not sure how well the plastic bedding will work out. But for now, can't complain about that plastic beddinmg. 243 shot great out of the box but all I'd shot in the 308 aws cast bullets and no co,plainte there ither. I got the 243 in a plastic stock first and got home and ordered a wood stock fot it, plastic stok one was all I could find around here at that time. I think Mossbers simply don't sell that well around here

21 - 31 of 31 Posts