Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time finding any low nitrogen fertilizer for my clover. I am looking for 6 24 24 or lower. Any ideas of where to look?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Only ones I know of are for garden sized areas and pretty expensive. You could call a local coop and see what they recommend.

Have you checked soil pH, if acidic you may need N anyway and lime...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did a soil check and yes I will be adding lime this spring. I have been watching several different U-tube videos food plots, habitat improvement and related activities. I see several using 6-24-24 out of 50# bags, but I can't seem to find any. I have checked with several local farm stores and they don't have a clue. Like you mentioned I have found it is small bags at very high prices, but there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Talk to any farmers around you that plant soy beans, alfalfa, or clover and see where they buy it. It's common here in WI and 50# goes for about $15. Farm stores like TSC and Farm and Fleet won't usually carry it we buy ours from the local co-op or agronomy center. And don't get real hung up on the 6-24-24 number. 3-12-12 would be the same thing you would just have to use twice as much per acre. Just look for a low first number (nitrogen) and higher P and K.

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
Why would not the standard 6-6-6 be a sufficient fertilizer? Why does one need low nitrogen for clover? I know that clover is nitrogen fixing, but still, if the fertilizers with low N are unachievable, what's the harm in using 6-6-6 or 10-10-10?

·
Registered
569 Posts
It could be used but it will promote unwanted weed growth. Starving the grasses and nitrogen craving broad leaves with low N fertilizer helps the legume crops through lack of competition. Plus nitrogen is expensive so having less of it should make it cheaper. Doesn't seem to work that way but it should.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You certainly could use fertilizer with N in it. Most farmers just put potash on their hayfields around here.

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
I remembered this thread while walking through Lowe's Home Improvement Garden Center yesterday. I scanned ALL of their retail fertilizers. The lowest N was 5-0-1 and it was about $15/10# bag. That's EXPENSIVE retail fertilizer, though not in the direction of the OP in this thread.

The 10-10-10 was over $15/40# bag! There was not one single 6-6-6. There were 15-X-X and 24-X-X and those were even more expensive. I didn't see one bag of 0-X-X.

Phosphate fertilizer is MINED and bagged in this State. Why is it (still) SO EXPENSIVE?

I have not fertilized my wildlife food plots in a long time, leaving the fields fallow for two years, because the fertilizers are too expensive to put on highly permeable soil, it washes out very fast, and is too expensive to put on hobby farm fields when the return on investment is KNOWN in advance to be zero (thanks in part to the State's antler and low doe harvest restrictions).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I have read and seen on U-tube Clover and Alfalfa are Nitrogen fixers and too much N burns um up.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You are overthinking this... Talk to a coop and they will tell you what to do. IMO, unless you are putting it on as a liquid, you are not going to burn anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts