Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shotting for a few years but just got into hunting this year and took my first deer over the weekend. I'm hooked!! :) However, I found out really fast the importance of a good hunting knife. I was wondering what everyone uses when they're field dressing. I dressed this one with a folding lock blade Gerber, 3" serated blade...NOT the best knife to use. I got the job done but didn't like it at all.

What should I look for in a good hunting / dressing knife? I know I can't go cheap. Do you guys use folding lock blade, fixed blade, drop point, clip point, serated, etc?? Brands?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Well I must say in the beginning my last name means KNIFE in German so with that said I have lots of Messers, My favorite fixed blade is a signed Kershaw 3.5 in. blade and my favorite folder is a U.S. Manu. in Portland Or. Gerber, I have always liked the Older Pumas hunter friend hunter pals and have them and would carry either one if not hunting here on the place, but they have gone up so much in value I just keep them in the Knife safe. JIM

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I have a Schrade Sharp Finger that I got for my 13 Birthday 37 years ago. Have tried many many knives and never found one better.

alan

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi There,

With practice just about knife will work however some blade shapes are better than others. I prefer drop points rather than clip points but I have both for general work. I also brought a dedicated skinner and that's what it's kept for. here are the ones I use:-

Boker Arbolito with 440C blade was my first brought fixed blade knife.

Buck Crosslock the Gut hook is very useful and it's on my belt when I hunt a friend gave me this one and that was before I brought the Boker.

Boker Treebrand stag handled drop point which lives in my knife pocket of my Hunting trousers (pants). Always fancied a Stag Horn Handled knife.

Picked up off E-Bay a Wade & Butcher of Sheffield "Boone" bowie, carbon steel blade that takes and hold a very good edge, pity about the clip point. It's currently in Scotland having a new sheaf made for it as the original is well worn and weak after about 40 years.

Sorry no photo of this one but a friend in the US sent this "Junk" knife as he put it across the pond to me. It's a Frost cutlery "Apahe" made in China. It actually handles quite well and has taken a good edge, have not used it in the field yet to don't know how it holds it's edge but it's certainly handy as a spare even if I am not keen on the Cordura sheaf.

Finally my Cudman of Spain skinner :-

used it back in 2003 on my MO Whitetails and Steven my buddy was so impressed he wanted one so one was obtained and posted across to him, his has Olive wood scales on the handle.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used a sharp knife to make the opening cuts and gutting the carcass, then a duller blade for the skinning to reduce cutting through hide or meat.

Butchering the meat calls for the sharpest knife possible. I usually cut dinner off the hanging carcass, so the sharp knives could stay home or back in the camp.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I carry a couple of the Buck versions of Brit's top photo. I keep one in the cargo pocket of my pants (trousers) and one in the small day pack that I wear. If you keep the knife's edge away from bone, it'll stay sharp for a long time but as we don't live in a perfect world, I carry a small diamond hone in the day pack also.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
What I use is a Remington big game knife with stag scales. one blade has a saw and gut hook and the other is a clip point blade I don't care for the gut hook and do not use it. Once I got the blade sharp (sharp enough to shave my arm hairs) it is now my favert hunting knife. I only use this knife for gutting and some skinning. For skinning I use a buck special 119 My dad gave me when I passed hunter safety class and a rappla felt knife For gutting my deer I use the 119 and felt knife and it works great.

That being said I really want a buck 110 folder! it is about as good of hunting knife as you can get.

I have a nice Wyoming knife sitting in my gun room it works good for gutting but that is about it.

I have found that a 3 to 3 3/4" blades works the best

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the Wyoming knife was designed as a special purpose knife, for gutting only. There's some disposable copies around, or were.

Long time ago, I read a comment by someone who claimed to be the first to put a hook on the back of a knife. He said it was really just a pot hook to start with. He kept having trouble with the wire bail on his pot slipping off the back of his knife so he put a hook on the knife so he could get his coffee off the fire without burning his fingers or spilling the coffee.

Then people started complaining about having to "sharpen the gut hook". He thought is was a dumb and useless idea, but people wanted it and he was selling knives to make money, so he started sharpening them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My go-to knife is a Case Trapper with high carbon steel a 3 1/2 " clip blade for bunging and a sheeps head for general work if I need a back-up sharp blade.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone ever used the Gerber Gator II knife (3.5" drop point with gut hook)? It looks nice and I like Gerber but it's getting some mixed reviews. Some people say the blade is lasting all hunting season while a couple of others said the blade went dull after one deer. Of course, I don't know how these people are treating the knife...they may be hitting bone with it. Anyone know anything about it? I found it on Bass Pro's web site for $35 and you can get it on eBay for around $25 after shipping? I know this is cheap...that's why I'm looking at reviews. I would like the best knife I ca get for less than $50. The wife doesn't really understand guns and hunting stuff. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
case yellow handle trapper. And I must respectfully disagree with the wyoming knife being limited to gutting, I've skinned numerous deer with mine and prefer it to the buck 103 that I have or any of the other knives that I own.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
Old Timer 77. Two high carbon sharp blades. I've done elk, hogs, caribou, and deer with it. Gigantic rambo knives are for hunters who don't know any better.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ah Dukkillr, Love those Schrade knives. But I do use folding hunters. If it says Schrade, Uncle Henry or Old timer, it's a knife! I had, many years ago, a Puma Hunters Pal that was a favorite but they plain cost to much any more. I have a new Buck fixed blade that's really nice looking I tried out this year; pretty girl can't cook!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Catoon, the one I tried would not reach in far enough to do the job because the winter coat was too thick. I thought it needed another half inch or so. It could be due to the way I held the knife, but I only tried it the one time.

Back to the original question, the best skinning knife I tried was a middle sized Frosts puukko, without serrations. The best for inside the gut cavity was a little, flat, micarta handled folder by, IIRC, Gerber.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I really like the "Master hunter" from COLD STEEL. 4 1/2 inch blade with a slightly dropped point, its got a full 3/16 inch thick backbone that is superb for popping with the pad of your hand to break through a sternum. The steel is very high quality that sharpens easily and holds and edge a long time. Handle is a soft synthetic that never slips even when bloody. Cold Steel is located in Ventura California.

My backup (actually, I bought it locally because my first Master Hunter was stolen along with my 94 Ford F-150 nine years ago) is a Gerber 4 inch drop point blade very similar to the Cold Steel Knife. The black back thickness is not quite as thick as the Cold Steel knife but is a very nice knife, not sure what the model number is.

Dave

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
To jack this thread just a little bit (who me?) Can someone explain to me why you would have a serrated edge on a hunting knife? Also, why would you want a camo hunting knife? I know a knife is supposed to be in your hand or in your pocket (sheath) but it doesn't always work out that way.
???

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
beemanbeme said:
To jack this thread just a little bit (who me?) Can someone explain to me why you would have a serrated edge on a hunting knife? Also, why would you want a camo hunting knife? I know a knife is supposed to be in your hand or in your pocket (sheath) but it doesn't always work out that way.
???
You wouldn't want a serrated edge. The only explanation for a hunter carrying a serrated edge would be that he doesn't know any better. A camo knife is like a camo rifle stock. It's a sales tactic, not something that will help.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts