Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this one for 3 years now. I just checked the old posts and sure enough it was Oct. of 2006. Well I finally found a .50 S+W and ordered it from an online gun sales company. Buying online is getting to be an expensive habit. Three new guns in as many weeks! Anyway I'll take my time setting this rifle up. First I need to get all the reloading components. I thought I'd stay with Hornady cases. Still haven't decided on a bullet, but if I'm going to shoot a .50 I might as well use heavy bullets. I also want to order a Gunstocks laminated straight grip stock for this rifle.
Don

·
Super Moderator
51,495 Posts
Way to go Don, congrats!! ;) If you haven't bought any brass yet, I'd get Starline, there have been several reports of Hornady brass splitting with heavy hunting loads after just a couple loadings, I've used a lot of Starline and never had a problem with 350gr XTPs and 385gr Rem bonded Core-lokts, as well as 440gr Cast Performance and 700gr Ranger Ricks, with max loads of Lil'gun. Best accuracy has been with the 385gr Rems crimped with a Hornady taper crimp die, from what I've read, the crimp makes a big difference in the 500 and my load seemed to confirm that since the others weren't crimped, 100yd 3-shot groups with a scope were 2-2½" uncrimped with all the other loads, this was 1½", could just be the bullet, but I think crimping is a good idea to give good bullet pull for the big bore. I use RCBS steel dies only because I got a new set for $12, also got 2 boxes of 350gr XTPs for half price, that's what got me into the 500 Handi, didn't buy a barrel until a few months later!! ::)

Have fun, but be prepared for some recoil with hunting loads, I only shoot mine from the Leadsled and it really rocks me if I don't put a few sand bags in it!! ;D

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim! Do you know if all cases for the .500 S+W now are made to use large rifle primers? I believe early on many were made for use with large pistol primers. That was one reason I had thought to go with Hornady cases as they had always, to the best of my knowledge, used large rifle primers.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read through Taffin's Jan. 2007 Guns Magazine article and while it was very informative, I was surprised not to find a reference to any of the powders that I would have thought would be my first choice for the .500 S+W. Namely H110, 2400 and Lil' Gun.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts