Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been messing with PP loads now for about a year, and finally am seeing good results. I have been using a Lee 170 mould, made for the 30-30, that I milled the top off of to make a 150 gr. plain base bullet. Sizing that to .303", two wraps of drafting vellum, and sized to .309 in a Lee push through die. I have to seat the bullets really deep in the .308 to fit the throat, so 38 gr. 4895 or Varget is all that fits, but it's still running 2400 fps and yesterday put 6 out of 10 into one ragged hole at 100 yards. The remaining shots were within am inch, so basically a 2 MOA load. The 30-30 with the same bullet (Rem 788 with Manson's 30-30 CBM chamber) did about the same thing, with 4 in one hole, three in another right next to it, and the rest right in the neighborhood at 2200 fps, powered by Varget. This is with air cooled wheelweight bullets, and no gas checks or lube. I'm loving this paper patch stuff now that it is starting to work for me!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good shooting!!! Did you try it without milling the gas check shank off the bullet? If so, what were the results. I was fooling around with a Lee 150 grain paper patched out of an 30-06. I wasn't getting bad, but not as good as yours.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
No, never tried it full size. I bought that mould years ago with the intention of cutting it up, to make bullets for my 32 H&R Contender. I found it not too long ago and figured I'd try it in the 30 cal rifles with paper patches, and it works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.