Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kathie and I went to No. West PA this last week to check on her property that she had timbered. While up in Hermitage I stopped in at a local gun shop, Twig's, like I always do. And I always buy something. Kind of a ritual sort of thing.

Anyway, the only interesting things in the gun rack were a rebuilt rolling block, a Krag with a cut down stock and a pretty beat up 99 in 300 Savage. For some reason I have always wanted such a 99 but this one would have been a restoration project and just wasn't cheap enough for that so I passed.

Well, after hearing me talk of my love and desire for such a 99, Ms. Twig tells me to come back the next day. I do and she has a very nice 99 waiting for me to look at. As far as I can tell it is an EG takedown model made in '26 by the serial number.

The story goes that Twig had bought it for her Uncle quite some time back. She drilled and tapped it, mounted a scope and sighted it in. Then it got put up. The Uncle died and the rifle has been sitting in her safe since. She sold it to me for a decent price and asked that I give it a good home. I'ma happy boy! ;D

I'll try to get a pic this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It's good to be friendly and consistent with those you do business with. I had that happen with some powder I needed a while back when you couldn't get any. The guy at the LGS sold me a pound from his personal stock.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition!

The 99 and the .300 Savage is a real classic combination, and if I were to buy a 99 it would have to be in .300 Savage. Wish I'd bought one back when they were more reasonably priced. I wouldn't use it enough nowadays to justify paying the current going rate for them.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
spruce said:
Congrats on the acquisition!

The 99 and the .300 Savage is a real classic combination, and if I were to buy a 99 it would have to be in .300 Savage. Wish I'd bought one back when they were more reasonably priced. I wouldn't use it enough nowadays to justify paying the current going rate for them.
Yep, the 99 in 300 is like ham and eggs.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
If you leave it layin out, I'll strap it to my bike when I leave. ;)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
good luck with it ;)
the 250's and 300's work better than
they ever got credit for

·
Registered
385 Posts
Congratulations on getting a 99. They made a million of them. Twice as many as the M70 W.

I got a 99 back in 1966 and it became my most used game rifle.

Good to read that you can put a scope on it. I prefer scopes on game rifles and also for shooting them at the range.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good find on a classic rifle for the forests, foothills, and even the open prairies of the central plains. I've been hunting with my 99C in .308 since 1972 and its proven to be a genuine keeper! Most accurate load for me features 150 ammo by FEDERAL.

T.R.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice "C" model! I have one that was originally a 243 but, not having a fondness for that caliber, had it redone to 358. Also have a newer 99A carbine in 308 that I really like.

Here's the new one. A friend who has 60, that's right 60 :eek: M99's told me mine was a Model 99E Delux.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Years ago when my wife & I were spending a lot of time in Montana I met a man that had hunted all his life with a savage model 99 in 300 savage caliber. He told me he had killed 43 elk with that rifle, one each year he had hunted them.

then there was the missionary that used to visit the church I was raised up in. He labored for the Lord in India. And would set up his table full of artifacts and trinkets for all to look at. For me the highlights were the Bengal tiger skin and the rifle he used to kill it, a savage 99 in 22 hi power.

Over the years I've owned several savage 99s. But the holy grail for me of savage 99s has always eluded me. It is a pre million SN model F in 250/3000.

Nice rifle you bought Richard. You could hunt Georgia the rest of your life with that one and be a happy camper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
We have 2, my son has my dad's old 300 which was his brush rifle, made after the had Model letters it is an E. Mine is from 52 nice trim with the Schnable forend, have a Redfield Tang sight. This makes a great combo for the 300 and is great rifle as are all 99s.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Father in law had a (we figure) a 1907 99 in 303 savage with rotary mag. A nephew got it when he passed.
I sure would have liked to have had it my self.

My sister had a 99c in 308 from about 1973.

:) Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice rifle. Just goes to show what a long-term relationship with a gun shop does for you ... 38 years with my wife and she's never brought out a nice 99 for me.

BTW, that's a 99G Delux. The Gs had the pistol grip, the early 99Es did not.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KeithNyst said:
BTW, that's a 99G Delux. The Gs had the pistol grip, the early 99Es did not.

Thanks Keith! I don't know much about 99's, or much else for that matter... :-\ I'll look up the E's and G's and try to learn me something! ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts