Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After chasing around bears for a few years in the high country I finally put one down last month. I saw 2 earlier in the day but couldn't close the gap so I headed back to camp for a rest then returned to the ridge I was hunting from around 5:45 pm. I quickly glassed the steep heather and blueberry covered slopes then moving 50-100feet and glassing again. I spotted this one mowing down berries like there was no tomorrow so I quietly removed my pack and spotted a rock I could rest my 308AI Encore on for the 80 yd shot aiming at the left shoulder the 180gr speer broke the shoulder and exited out the right side of the chest. The bear predictably rolled 75 yds down the mountain but was dead at the shot. Having forgotten my flashlight back at camp I knew I had to work quick to outrun darkness so I managed to get the bear gutted and both hindquarters boned out and back to camp by 8:00 just as darkness fell. The rest of the job started at 8 the next morning and ended with 2 pack trips back at my truck at 4:30 that evening

dasbear

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Congrats on that there bar!
Nice pic's also, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look in the middle of the pic of slope there are 3 white specks that is where the bear rolled to it was a 130yd hike back up the 45 degre slope and over the ridge to camp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get 2450 fps with the 180gr. and 2550 with the 165gr bullets and oddly enough both loads shoot almost right on top of each other when sighted in at 200 yds the 180 drops a bit more out to 300 yds

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Great job! Congrats.
Steve

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Way to go...

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I didn't know there were bears in the state of Florida.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts