Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a Richards microfit stock coming thats laminate. What finish should I use? Can you oil them like standard wood (tung oil etc) or do I need to use some kind of polyurethane coating?

Many thanks..........

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
laminated stock

Hi, Loosecat!

A wood laminated stock is finished exactly as a solid non-laminated stock.

You have your choice of tung oil, modified linseed oil, TrueOil, LinSpeed, etc.

John

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I got a laminated forend for my Contender carbine a few years ago from VirginValley, to match the finished buttstock from Boyds. The VV forend was unfinished, so I followed their suggestion and sprayed on about four coats of Krylon Clear. The forend is now a perfect match for the buttstock and the finish has held up fine for several years. I normally use "gun-specific" products, but this worked very well for me.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I've used both oil and ply but since the stock is already prety modern I usually use poly. Especially since I discovered the 'rub on' poly finishes. I apply it just as I would thr TruOil, with my hands and have had wonderful luck. Still harder to touch up but a good finish..

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are some of the "rub on poly finishes" you mention? I'll be finishing a stock this summer as well and have never done it, so I don't know the names of the products yet.

Thx,
clattin

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I'm afraid I don't remember the brand but it was bought a WalMart.. Any paint store or woodworkers supply should have it. It seems to be just like regular poly but a lot thinner.. I apply by hand, but don't allow the surface to get tacky. Remove the stuff from your hands with 'Skin-So-Soft', a oil based ladies skin softener. You should so a search on this thread for 'refinish' or 'finishing'. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts