Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an action shot from last weekend. Rick Neff a site sponsor and I went out and did some big bore shootin. Notice the 30' ring of dust kicked up from the cussion wave. I'll post some picts of the mortar in a day or so, when things aren't so crazy around here. Later,

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Cool!

I'd seen the dust kicked up in pix I'd taken of 155's before - surprizing the first time you see it!

On some days firing the 4.55", I'll see a 12' ring of smoke linger in the grass for a minute after firing.

Unusual pix - so close in time after firing (cannon-ball low in the air).

Fire for effect - out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
WAY COOL! :-D

Some questions...That looks like a bowling ball, is it? What was the powder charge? How far did the ball go?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Yes, It's a bowling ball mortar. I was using ten level tablespoons of FG powder. (Thanks Rick!) I'll weigh it and let you know the grains. We were shooting 350 yards at about a 70 degree angle. The tube is made from 2" walled tubing with a 2" thick plug welded in the breech. Both the tube and the plug were beveled and there is 100% weld. Had a couple of interesting things happen. First the dust being kicked up and also a couple of shots produced two smoke rings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That was a fun evening of launching bowling balls. We were shooting the ball out apx 350 yds. and I do think the ball had more elevation than range. Hay Powder Keg, I asked a friend if he would take his Cessna up and with his Altimitor he could tell us the elevation of the ball. He declined, He did not want his Obiturary to read that he was shoot down by a "Bowling Ball". With the elevation and range their was a sufficient hang time to see the Coriolis effect, The earth rotating from benight the ball.
shoot'en Bowling Balls is funner than watching John Wayne movies.

·
Registered
731 Posts
He did not want his Obiturary to read that he was shoot down by a "Bowling Ball".
Yep, that kind obiturary might also get him an honorable mention on the Darwin Awards web site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts