Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried calling a range in my area today and could not get ahold of someone... on an opinion basis, do you think i could get permission from the rangemaster to fire at self-erected targets downrange on a non-busy time and day?

·
Registered
182 Posts
mortarnoobie said:
i tried calling a range in my area today and could not get ahold of someone... on an opinion basis, do you think i could get permission from the rangemaster to fire at self-erected targets downrange on a non-busy time and day?
That's impossible without knowing more about your range. the term, 'Range Nazi', was invented with good reason. Some places are easy, some aren't. My current club is very easy-going about anything that isn't dangerousto people or damaging to the range. I shot at another place where I was given grief over BPCR and milsurp ammo.

At the very least you have to make sure there is no chance your cannon can do any damage to target stands or anything built there. A decent sized cannon makes quite a boom which will attract attention.

Steve

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
IF it's a private range, having a friend who's a regular will help.

We have a public range nearby where anything goes. Of course keeping the rounds inside the impact area is a plus.

The range once tossed of a few folks with machine guns. After a congressman was involved they were then allowed.

With any range there will always be conflict between noise and locals - be prepared.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Like the others have said, maybe they will and maybe they won't. You'll have to check with them in advance. The worst that can happen is they tell you no.

I don't know about your area but most of the ranges around here are only 100 yards. If yours is like that, one possible problem that could keep you from getting permission is that you have (I believe) an as yet untested mortar.

One of the biggest no-no's at an outdoor range is putting rounds over the backstop berm. Since a cannon is a direct line of sight weapon, that's usually not a problem but with a high angle of fire mortar it could be very easy to lob a projectile out of the confines of the range area. Especially since you don't yet know what powder charge you need to get the distance you want.

Having driven through Kansas, I seem to recall there's LOTS of open space. Maybe you could locate a friendly farmer who will let you shoot in one of his large empty fields. Even better would be if he joined you and ended up getting hooked on the sport himself. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha your darn right we have plenty of land... maybe to much. i will call the range near us first to see what they say about it, because i'd like to be firing at a target on a measured ranged, and if they say no, then i will inquire with private land owners

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lots of golf courses and practice driving ranges have distance markers and are often unmanned after hours. After all, golf is a sport for those who don't have cannons! I don't suggest it during the day, because lots of golfers (even the pros) expect quiet conditions while putting. If you decide to proceed during the day, be sure to yell 'fore'! If trying it at night (when the blasts are more spectacular), practice your load up and go drill often until you can outrun greenskeepers/police/FBI...

I fire mine at a campground/farm where the owner has joined in and even helps with welding, machining, woodwork...

·
Registered
221 Posts
All of my live-fire has been at a range (where I am a member). There have been no complaints though a few paniced people often show up after I fire the first shot - they think something exploded!

The range is just over 110 Meters with an earthen berm and my cannon is a 1" bore. Seeing the damage that the 1" ball does to the berm, I suspect my welcome would wear out quickly if I did a LOT of shooting there.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Calamity, you are correct. It is unbelievable what a little ole one inch ball can do to the berm. I'd like to get an old car door from the junk yard and check out the hole it'd make - providing I can even hit the door. :wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't know about a car door - don't think it'd be very spectacular.

With 250g of cannon grade powder I know a 1" ball leaves a nice neat hole in a railway tie. The same load penetrated 7" into a solid oak log from 25 yards.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Calamity, how old was that RR tie? Was it a pretty solid chunk of wood or a little on the rotten side? RR ties are compressed wood and usually totally soaked with creosote and are extremely hard. You had indicated that the ball "left a nice hole" which sounds like the ball went completely through the tie or perhaps it went only partially through it?

DD, do you know the specifics of the load used to penetrate both car doors and still knock the tree down, actually the amount of powder is what I am inquiring about.. Thanks folks. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

·
Super Moderator
16,362 Posts
Bob,

That load was determined by using the traditional formula of 2 oz. per inch of bore diameter. So the load was 2 oz. of Fg.

That was before I knew that formula was for guns greater than two inches and less than four inches and was the max load, not to be exceeded, using cannon grade. I now use the chart in The more Complete Cannoneer for load determination for small guns.

The load was quite energetic. If you look at the hole you can see the light on the other side of the door through the hole. Also note how far the gun has recoiled. That column of smoke going up like a mushroom cloud is from the vent. The gun has recoiled back full into the block and tackle system I use to contain the gun and keep it from flipping over back wards. You can still see it flipping up. These pictures were taken in 1988 and my learning curve on cannons was in it's infant stage.

Sure glad I used 4140 for that tube.

·
Registered
642 Posts
DD... that mushroom cloud from your vent reminds me of the huge smoke ring that was produced from the vent with each shot from one certain cannon at the Casper Shoot. That ring, about 25 to 30 feet in diameter went up quite high before the wind got a hold of it and it dissipated. I believe a lot of folks are really impressed by the amount of energy being shoved out those vents. When I am fuse firing one of mine, I'm always watching for the molten fuse that gets driven out upon firing. Guess that's one good thing about using the old slap hammer with a musket cap, but the cap can blow little shards of copper around the immediate area too. Also, with the cap, the gun goes off immediately when the lanyard is pulled and I don't have to count the seconds. Now, after checking Mr. Websters book, I see that a fuse can be spelled fuse or fuze...... Yep, I still have a whole lot to learn...Blaster (Bob in CO)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Blaster: The railway tie was at least 20 years old - it was in the baffle OVER the rifle range (upper left in this picture http://www.mts.net/~wrpa/arial.html) The ball left a nice clean hole thru the first 2/3rds of the tie and split 1/3 out from the back as schrapnel. The ball kept going, clearned the berm, and hopefully didn't make it to the highway on the other side of that field visible on the right in that photo. There were no police reports of any cars suffering "flow through ventilation" that day :shock:

·
Registered
731 Posts
There were no police reports of any cars suffering "flow through ventilation" that day
Now that is funny!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow i havn't checked this thread for a while... lots of discussion. the after hours golf range thing... sounds a bit dangerous, depending on where the golf range is and all. theres one next to a high school near where i live, but behind the fence there are houses which could get ugly if we overshot.

i was talking to a friend who lives in Gardner KS that i used to know very well. turns out their family owns 80 acres of land, and her father who also lives there is just as into things that go boom as she is. she said we could have a great time shooting there, and its only abouta 20 minute drive from me. s sounds like the rifle range will no longer be needed... :grin:

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Now you're in for it!

80 acres!

You'll leave mortar rounds all over the South 40! Next time he mows, plows or rakes your name will be mentioned with vigor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts