Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working up loads @ 100Yds for my new Rem 700 Mtn LSS 7MM-08 which I just got this past spring. Shot my first 200Yd groups today and am quite pleased with the guns performance.

I shot this 1.67" CTC group at 200Yds shooting 140Grn Sierra Game King SBT's on top of 43.5Grn Varget and using a Burris 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex scope. Average velocities at 10 ft from barrel were 2,860 FPS. This was my best group of the day with other 200Yd groups averaging just a little less than MOA.

I have been getting 1/2" CTC groups at 100Yds with the 140 Game Kings using a Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail classic, but using the 3-9x40 Burris 100Yd groups were about MOA. I was sighted in dead on at 100Yds and this group was shot using the first (200Yd) aim point on the ballistic plex reticle.

The vast majority of my shots on deer are 150Yds or less and I really like being able to sight in dead on at 100Yds and then being able to use the 200, 300Yd aim points if I need to. Being sighted in dead on at 100Yds allows me to "thread the needle" through brush a lot better than if I was sighted in 2 to 3 inches high.

Now it's time to get some off-hand, sitting, kneeling, leaning against a tree, etc. practice in between now and deer season. Just a few more months!!! :D I can hardly wait!!!!

firstshot
-----------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
33 Posts
groups

Very nice. I may give your load a try, Ive been tinkering with an Encore 7-08. So far performance has been just OK.

chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ca dunn

The Sierra Game Kings and the Nosler Accubonds have been the most accurate bullets I've tried so far. Both of these have shot best with Varget and average 1/2" CTC groups at 100Yds.

The 140 SGK load pictured is just a little over Sierra's book max, so if you decide to try it be sure to start lower and work up.

firstshot
---------------------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
try this recipe,i get 3/8 groups with it,
47gr. h-380 powder
130 gr, speer spitzer bt
cci #200 lr primer oal. 2.768
i shot 3 deer last year with this load and they all went staight down and the bullet performes alwsome...let me no how it does if you decide to try....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kyhunter308

Is that a 7mm-08 load you posted?

I've heard a lot of good things said about the Speer 130Gr HotCore and that they are a little tougher than the Game Kings I'm currently using. I'm going to definitely give the HotCore's a try, but will probably go for the 145Grn vs the 130Grn. Where I hunt there is always the chance of running into a black bear or a big hog and I'd rather go with the heavier weight....just in case.

I haven't ever tried the H-380 but have loaded some Hornady 140Grn SP and 154 Round Nose with H-414 which is real close to the H-380 burn rate. I found that H-414 gave me to most consistent velocities of any powder I've tried so far.

firstshot
-----------------------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
i tried a # of diff powders and this one gave me the best results,and it is for the 7mm-08 and it was a speer (spitzer)boat tail psp bullet ,and i tried 140s and a few diff bullets and this one got me 3/8 groups at 100 yards,you can look this up in the speer manual..hope it works for you like it did me...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts