Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in TX, don't see many bears here other than about 2 am Sunday mourning
where would be a good place to start looking for a bear hunt, and what should i expect to pay.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
That really depends on where you are interested in hunting. IF you come to the northeast, you'll pay about $1,000 to $1,500 for a weeks hunting. I'd add another $1,000 to cover non-residence license, flights, tips, taxidermy deposit and incidentals (providing you don't go loopy buying equipment). I can't speak for Western hunts, the other guys in this forum may be of some help. Here's where I'm going Sept. 2008, http://www.oxbowlodge.com

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
From TX, look into over the counter tags in NM, or look into the draw for bear tags in CO. Both states have good numbers of big bears and a high percentage of color phases other than black.

Costs really depend on if you use a guide or DIY; camp or stay in a motel, resort, etc.; drive, fly; and on and on. Lots of variables.

Bears are addictive, though, so just be forewarned. ;)

Best of luck, Arch

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
You can find hunts in Maine and Ontario for around a $1000, give or take about $300 including licenses. After that it's your costs of gear and travel. I'm guessing from texas you'll have just less than $2000 by the time you get a outfitter, lodging, food, licenses, and especially traveling in your case.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand the addictive.
i went black powder elk hunting with a friend that lives in NM in OCT. he had a bear tag
$60.00 res.
in NM you can run bears with dogs but can not bait.
Mt friend has a son that is a guide in NM and has a pack of bear dogs so that is probably what i will do next year.
we saw lots of large bear tracks while elk hunting, some around camp one mourning.
thanks guys for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts