Graybeard Outdoors banner

First bow suggestions please

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jparedes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Greatbeard outdoors forum,

It is my sons birthday coming up in 6 weeks and he will be turning 13. Ever since he was young he has had this love for bows. Watching movies like "Robbin Hood" and his favorite character in Lord of the rings is the guy with a bow. I've seen him with his friends making bows out of branches and string, to be honest, they worked pretty well for what they were. Anyway, he has been asking me to buy him a bow for a while now and being it's his thirteenth birthday coming up I think it's about time. First off, What do you guys think about his age and learning to shoot a bow? thoughts are much appreciated.

Now the fun part. As of budget I haven't really got a cap but saying that I'm not so sure how expensive bows can get. What would be best for a beginner of his age? I like the look of the modern bows like in the picture below and more specifically this one here http://www.used.forsale/canada/hoyt-compound-bows . is it possible to get this style for his age group? Is there anything I should know about this hobby before he gets stuck in?

If there is any other information needed just let me know and I will get it added on asap. Really looking forward to chatting with you all. All suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have bought two bows in the category that you are thinking about, a Hoyt Ignite and a Diamond Edge SB-1. Both have a large range of adjustment for draw length and weight and are sweet bows. I would have to give the nod to the Diamond and I am a Hoyt guy. It seems quite a bit quieter and smoother, but both are great bows.

#3 ·
I would say he is plenty old enough to start shooting a bow. Obviously some safety lessons would be a good idea.

I started out shooting Mathews then switched to PSE about ten years ago. A lot of manufacturers make good bows with a wide range of adjustments for a young archer with some growing to do. PSE has a youth package with the Stinger Bow. Comes with a whisker biscuit rest and sights. Ready to shoot for around $400.00 not counting arrows. Biscuit rest is prefect for beginners let him get the basics down and then move him to a drop away.

Best piece of advise I was ever given was get a decent bow that will do what you want but buy the best arrows you can afford. Get him some premium carbon arrows with blazer or duravanes. The best bow in the world will not make up for crappy arrows.

Once you make your decision and get your son a bow take him and the bow to a good archery shop and have them set the bow up for him. They people at bass pro and ganders have the best of intentions but you want a professional setting up your sons bow.

CR

#5 ·
If he is into Robin Hood and the archer in the movie you mention then maybe what he really wants is a long bow or recurve rather than a compound. Just saying, ask him.

As a boy I was all the time making bows for myself. My favorite material was privet hedge and it makes into a surprisingly good bow. I must have started doing that when I was 9 or 10 at most. When I turned 12 I rode the bus to town, by myself, and bought a bow with the money I had made selling scrap iron and picking up soft drink bottles.

The bow I chose was a 62" solid fiberglass recurve bow which I still have. I think I got six arrows to go with it and didn't even have a dime left for the bus ride home so I walked from town to my house a distance of at least 3-4 miles I guess. My best friend had a long bow also of solid fiberglass that he used when we shot.

I know most folks seem to gravitate to compound bows and so did I for hunting deer eventually but I began deer hunting with a recurve not a compound and I hunted all sorts of things with that first bow I bought myself for my 12th birthday long before I went deer hunting.

#6 ·
This is all great news. From what you guys are saying above maybe it's better if I get him some safety lessons first then take him to choose what bow he likes. It can still be a surprise I suppose. Also good tip about the decent arrows and how they make all the difference.

I'm just going to look up some archery lessons in my area and see what's available. Back shortly with the next step!

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated

#7 ·
I kinda glossed over your question about age. My oldest son was 5 when I bought him his first compound bow, so yes he's plenty old enough. If you are not into archery, then yes find someone who can teach him good techniques. Look and see if there is as NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) program in your area, my kids school has a club and it is great for them in many aspects.

#8 ·
Never too young to start them into Archery I bought my son a bear bow for children then he graduated still have it Make sure he knows bow can kill even ever so small I once responded to a call a young boy shot an arrow straight in the air it came down penetrating the top of his head Thanks god he survived Good Luck

#9 ·
longbow or reçurve, also buy him a copy of "Hitting em like Howard Hill" by John Schulz, or "Instinctive Shooting" by G. Fred Asbell. I have been shooting longbows and recurves for over 40 years, and have taken bobcats, coyotes and a ton of deer. Never cared for compounds, as I do not consider them bows, but arrow launching devices.

#10 ·
I'm a traditional bow guy, got my first one for my 16th birthday in 1960 and have never looked back. 3 Rivers Archery has numerous traditional bows, either recurve or longbow. The prices are all over the place. From everything I have read and heard, the Samick bows are about the best bet for the money. The Sage model is 62" long versus the Journey which is 2" longer.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/bows/traditional-bows/recurve-bows

http://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/bows/traditional-bows/longbows

http://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/youth/youth-bows/bows-ages-12-14

I suggest you call them up and talk to them. They are very customer oriented and will do you right, can help you get everything from the bow to the arrows, arm guard, shooting tab, quiver etc. They can also recommend the pull weight you need, as you don't want to start him with too heavy a bow.

Of course, if the boy wants a bow with wheels you need to look elsewhere....

~WH~

#11 ·
+1 on the Samick Sage. Limbs from 25# to 65#, and the riser will accept journey limbs as well. My son and I started with Sages and never did more than get heavier limbs and nice Flemish strings. I was advised that a good recurve and lots of arrows, with lots of practice, will help you figure out what you want do with archery.

#12 ·
Ask him what he wants. Figure out what his buddies have. At 13 independence is a tricky thing.

Mathews archery makes a bow that is designed for beginners. Check out the archery in schools program it's what they are using.

Find a pro shop or at least a mentor who truly knows what a beginner needs. Bows are not one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.