Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a small 4 point I shot with my Taurus 44SS6 44 Magnum. Optics is an UltraDot 1" 4moa dot reddot sight. This was my first deer taken with a handgun. I used a handload with Magtech 240 grain SJSP @ around 1360 fps. Next season I will be using a Hornady 240 grain XTP HP.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Way to go with your first handgun deer, congrats. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats! First deer with a handgun is a big deal, I know it was for me. Hope there will be many more for you! Steve

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Way to go mg66!
Your first with a handgun is something you will never forget.
My first with a handgun was 19 years ago, I used a 10.5" barreled Super-Blackhawk with a 2X EER Leupold scope and a handload using the 210 grain Sierra JHC and a max charge of H-110. My first was a spike but to me it was just as good as a 10 pointer.
This was 19 years ago but I remember it vividly as if it were yesterday. I'm sure that 20 years from now you too will still remember all the details about your first handgunned deer.
Congradulations!!!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glanceblamm said:
Did the 240gr Magtech sjsp leave something to be desired?
The expansion was very poor but I believe the XTPs will take care of that.

Thanks for congrats guys. I will remember this deer for sure. I took it out last year and never got the opportunity to use it. I was determinined to get a deer with handgun this year. Although I had my 20g I hung it on a hook in the stand. I brought the 20g as "PLAN B" :D Sixteen years in the military taught me always to have a backup plan when the main plan goes to heck and a handbag :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Congrats on your deer. I know two bow hunters that have told me getting a deer with a handgun is a bigger rush than with a bow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave said:
Congrats on your deer. I know two bow hunters that have told me getting a deer with a handgun is a bigger rush than with a bow.
They are on the money. It was a great experience. I would definitely say its right up there with taking a deer with a bow.

A couple of deer with my 54 cal. percussion GPR with open sights will make this my most memorable hunting season since I started deer hunting in 2001.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats!!!! Ive probably got 25 bow kills and 7 handgun kills,still a good rush with either,got a 5 pointer this morning at 130 yds and a doe this evening at 45yds.The 7mm-08 is one tough customer.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congratulations on your first handgun deer! Trust me, it'll be just as big a thrill from here on out each time too. I've killed 11 with my 357 Blackhawk, and it's like the first time all over again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts