Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Freedom Arms .454 Casull, Colt Pythons, 1911s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I came across a slightly used model 83 .454 Field grade with 7.5” barrel and adjustable sights a few days ago. It was sitting beside a used Hamilton Bowen customized Ruger. The Bowen cost twice as much.
I picked the Casull, due to the reputation of the company. While waiting on loading components to arrive, I would like to find a place to buy replacement front sight blades and replace the factory serrated ramp.
Is there a retailer or Smith, other than the factory, who sells these sight blades?
I tried Clements, but he doesn’t do them anymore.
The history of this gun, and the info on this forum are quite interesting. The factory tells me the gun was made in July, 1994. It has been shot just enough to dirty the front of the cylinder, and tell the previous owner it was too much power for him. It has the old style firing pin, the newer style mainspring stud and nut attachment. I can’t tell about the cylinder bushing, but it appears that it may possibly be screwed into place?
I am looking forward to trying it out. It is a fine piece of craftsmanship.
Thanks!
Jordan

·
Registered
182 Posts
I beleieve Fermin Garza of CC, Texas is now making front sight blades for the FAs revolvers. They are styled after the ones Ken O'Neil used to make which is a slightly undercut Patridge. I have them on several of my FAs guns and they give a MUCH blacker sight picture than the ramp does...don't know why FA doesn't change their blades...

Bob

·
Registered
363 Posts
I strongly urge you to have the updated replacable firing pin installed at FA.
Sorry to hear Clements stopped making them. I have a couple of the brass dot sights.
The O'Neil sights are good. But, they tear up holsters because of the undercut ramp.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I beleieve Fermin Garza of CC, Texas is now making front sight blades for the FAs revolvers. They are styled after the ones Ken O'Neil used to make which is a slightly undercut Patridge. I have them on several of my FAs guns and they give a MUCH blacker sight picture than the ramp does...don't know why FA doesn't change their blades...

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the link. I like his selection, and will call him Friday.
Jordan

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I strongly urge you to have the updated replacable firing pin installed at FA.
Sorry to hear Clements stopped making them. I have a couple of the brass dot sights.
The O'Neil sights are good. But, they tear up holsters because of the undercut ramp.
Grits,
The new firing pin will happen when I send the gun in for new grips. I am not a fan of rubber grips on anything that recoils heavier than a .38 Wadcutter. I like to have spares, so the new pin will get me to where I can replace it myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Let me know what Fermin says... Over on the SingleAction Forums he said he was going to start making FA blades but didn't see them on his website.

Had dinner with Fermin in March 2020 while visiting friends in the Houston area...it was worth the drive down to CC...really upstanding guy...

Bob

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We discussed FA front sights via text today. He provided pics of several sight styles. I am supposed to call him tomorrow and order a few of his sights. Pics looked great, and his prices were fine. Fermin texted me soon after I used his web site Contact page. He told me not to order off his outdated web site, just to call him up and order. I’m looking forward to talking to him, and ordering two or three blades. He has a nice brass bead sight. He showed a pic of threading the blade on a mill, so that the bead will stay in place under recoil. Nice work.
Thanks for the referral.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi guys! Bob, thanks for the referral. I’m not hard to find. I build custom front sights for Rugers, Smiths, BFR’s, FA’s and some others. I also do precision cylinder correction. If you don’t see your sights as well as you once did or if barrel leading is causing you grief, give me a shout. Best!
Fermin
361-960-3697

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fermin came through in fine fashion. I ordered a gold bead front sight and a black angled blade also. This picture shows the bead installed on my 6” model 83 .454 Casull. Fermin does fabulous work. If you compare his milled sight to the factory bead, the factory bead is crimped in place. Fermin threads his blade and screws the bead into the sight. Much neater look and fabulous workmanship.
I’ll find time and post some of Fermin’s sight blades side by side with my Freedom Arms factory sight blades.
Jordan

Cylinder Bicycle part Auto part Composite material Metal

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No problem. He has a web site, but he prefers to deal with customers over the phone or email. He’ll let you know when you contact him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts